Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
please i asked a question up there and i really need to know the answer please can someone answer me about it
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@sifo,

Your question is about multiboot. I'm sure there's a thread about it. This one is about U-boot.

[OFF-TOPIC]
As far as I can understand your question, you want to know if multiboot flashes the kernel every time you boot or only when you select a different kernel than the last one you booted from?

If so, the answer is (AFAIK, I don't use multiboot): multiboot only flashes the kernel when it's necessary, i.e. when you boot a different kernel than the one currently flashed (i.e. the one you booted last time).
[/OFF-TOPIC]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
sorry for that off topic post and thanks much apperciated reinob
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by pali View Post
do you have free space on rootfs? try to reboot device
Yes, I have free space, and I managed to solve the problem applying the changes I showed you, thanks (btw, I rebooted the device before noticing the error, and I got stuck in a reboot loop, but that's another story ).
Anyway, could you reproduce the issue? Maybe I did something wrong, but I think that adding the additional check that I suggested you won't do any harm.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
uboot not seeing Mer on sdcard in N900:

I followed the instructions here to put Mer on an sdcard. I have uboot on my n900 from an earlier time when I was looking at Nitdroid on an sdcard. It's very important to me not to brick the phone or blow up my Maemo on the phone itself. As with Nitdroid, I just want to take a look at Mer and see how I like it.

(I tried to ask my question in the Mer threads but was directed here. I'm not sure I belong here either -- -- so apologies if that's the case!)

When I power up with the slider open, I get the uboot screen, but my choices are Maemo5 (which works fine), or "Nitdroid" even though the sdcard has Mer on it.

I'm obviously missing something, but the more threads I read the more confused I'm getting! What do I need to do to get uboot to see my Mer card? (Edit: I did read the first post and few pages in this thread, but didn't understand it well enough to apply it to my case.)

Last edited by quixote; 2012-05-10 at 20:47.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by quixote View Post
uboot not seeing Mer on sdcard in N900:

I followed the instructions here to put Mer on an sdcard. I have uboot on my n900 from an earlier time when I was looking at Nitdroid on an sdcard. It's very important to me not to brick the phone or blow up my Maemo on the phone itself. As with Nitdroid, I just want to take a look at Mer and see how I like it.

(I tried to ask my question in the Mer threads but was directed here. I'm not sure I belong here either -- -- so apologies if that's the case!)

When I power up with the slider open, I get the uboot screen, but my choices are Maemo5 (which works fine), or "Nitdroid" even though the sdcard has Mer on it.

I'm obviously missing something, but the more threads I read the more confused I'm getting! What do I need to do to get uboot to see my Mer card? (Edit: I did read the first post and few pages in this thread, but didn't understand it well enough to apply it to my case.)
try with:

run sdboot

or

run mmcboot

or

run immcboot

depending on your u-boot version

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
try with:

run sdboot

or

run mmcboot

or

run immcboot

depending on your u-boot version
Hmm. I don't seem to have any option to enter anything on boot up. Choice 1 is Maemo, which boots by default after 30 seconds. Choice 2 is Nitdroid. If I press any key except 1 or 2, it restarts the countdown. After trying to enter the command anyway, I think I got as far as the "u" of "run sdboot" and it turned itself off. On a retry with the keyboard closed it booted into Maemo normally.

Do I have a corrupt uboot? Is there some trick to getting at the uboot command prompt?

More hmm: I was trying to check my version of uboot so I could write it down here, and maybe this is my problem. I have something called Enhanced bootloader for Maemo, version 0.2.10-1. Unless that's another name for uboot, I don't have it at all! I'm even more confused than I realized.

Piffle.

Okay I checked what I could about that bootloader, and this 2010 thread says, "...the kernel you flash MUST recognize Multiboot, and show its menu. It occurs with Maemo and NITDroid kernels, but not with MeeGo kernel. So you can't back from MeeGo without Flasher." So it sounds like it's not going to work with Mer/Meego.

What's the best way for me to proceed from here, given that I don't want to blow up my Maemo?

Still doesn't work.

I've flashed Meego, copied the .item file into bootmenu.d (thanks ivyking!), and updated the menu with u-boot-update-bootmenu -- I've also had to patch the program as MaddogG's instructions. The program runs fine, but when I try to boot the phone, the same four items show. The flashed kernel boots ok, but nothing else. When I try to boot from the sdcard, it searches over every partition until it finds the kernel uImage at the third one. Then the line draws at the middle of the screen and the phone boots.

I've the impression that putting an .item file would create a menu item that would point to the chosen kernel. Am I wrong?

I cannot load bootmenu.src from first eMMC fat32 partition because I use sdcard instead internal emmc (broken).Is there any way to change directory which use u-boot to show bootmenu? Now I can boot only stock kernel. After boot I see:
Attached kernel
Internal eMMC
External SD card
U-Boot boot order
U-Boot console
When I select "Attached kernel" 2.6.28-omap starts boot.

Sorry for my bad English

Originally Posted by riv64 View Post
I cannot load bootmenu.src from first eMMC fat32 partition because I use sdcard instead internal emmc (broken).Is there any way to change directory which use u-boot to show bootmenu? Now I can boot only stock kernel. After boot I see:
Attached kernel
Internal eMMC
External SD card
U-Boot boot order
U-Boot console
When I select "Attached kernel" 2.6.28-omap starts boot.

Sorry for my bad English
store bootmenu script on sd card under name boot.scr and choose External SD card. It will load script from SD card and run new bootmenu.

But do not forget that other maemo kernels are stored in MyDocs too, so if you have corrupted MyDocs you will not boot other maemo kernels...

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot