Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
So much for the "develope away on meamo using QT as your apps will then work on Meego" comments from just a few months ago?
N900 running maemo5 pr 1.3, w/ Qt 4.7.0 and the usual Linux goodies under the hood is still the premier environment for developing apps for upcoming MeeGo phones.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Do you actually read my posts or just throw out random words. My response to you was in regards to MeeGo. Loading MeeGo now would be useless to me. That wasn't so hard to understand was it?
Well, yes. Maemo is very much there even if you install MeeGo, and Maemo is still just as useful. Point being that with the N900 you get both; a stable and mature OS to use everyday, and a brand new one to explore.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hobart, Australia
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmm. And Nokia is working on tailored version of Meego for N900. Group of people are working on it:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900#The_team_and_the_work
What would you call it in comparison to totally forgetting customers/devels?
Your comparison is not really accurate. Nokia are helping to produce a community/reference UX that will not include integration into OVI services (maps, chat, mail, etc...). Google have released Android 2.3 with *all* features and Google service integrations intact. People complain about not having voice navigation in Maemo, but the Meego Reference UX won't even have maps to begin with. Upgrading your N900 will not give you an equivalent experience to what you currently get from Maemo.

Regarding phone upgrades, I always buy phones free of contract yet I only upgrade phones every couple of years. I will not be buying the first Meego device simply because I only bought the N900 12 months ago. Next december I'll be looking around again, so that will give me time to evaluate whether Nokia do start supporting Meego *and* upgrades on the same device, or whether any of the Android manufacturers and doing better in this regard. If I were buying today it would be Android, but who knows what the situation will be a year from now.

The Following User Says Thank You to nick.read For This Useful Post:
how many things were people supposed to check without actually owning the phone? I mean I checked that there was a chess app before buying, how could I know that it was barely usable and that you could not even distinguish the pieces? lots of stuff that a person would not know until they actually played with the phone for a while.

btw I have a friend who plays chess and is a linux admin and I showed him the phone. he then asked to see the chess app and as it was basically unusable he asked me to install different one. when I said there were no more choices he just laughed and picked up his htc evo.

I applaud this forum and linux in general but no way am I jumping on the "thank you nokia" bandwagon regarding this device. that's almost like having stockholm syndrome...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
And why it should be ashamed? Itīs screaming to your face "test me, debug me, tweak me, rip my spine off and put it back and rip it off again just for sake of it, code me, kick me". For example look Fcam stuff. That is just amazing IMO. For Average Joe itīs probably something to be ashamed off...or maybe to be ashamed of yourself.
Thanks for a well thought comment.

however if you read a few pages back,i was refering to the general popluation who bought the n900. I'll repeat it again, the n900 was pushed agressvely as some kind of a 'flagship' device both in the east and in europe.

and YES, the N900 is great for me or for any other tech savvy guys.
but i was refering to the general population who bought it, because of Nokia's pushy stratagy.

When I look at my dad, who has an E61, he will be SO lost if he had a n900. lost at first, anoyed later. So many guys like him did buy a n900. nokia flashed the mighty hw specs into their eyes in electronics stores in EU or east, and they had fallen. Some realized quickly enough and returned but some must've didnt, and for them i said what i said.

btw, you cant compare a community driven version of Meggo to a corporate driven version of Android. the difference is the effort that the corporates(Google,Nokia) puts into it. Its obvious who wins here.

I purchased my N900 from the Nokia Internet store last february. I knew that it was promoted as an "Internet tablet" so I was not surprised that out of the box it lacked basic mobile phone functions such as PBAP but I loved this device since day 1 - and I started using maemo.org right away.

My N900 has everything I always wanted from a mobile device since when I was using the Ipaq and then the Zaurus (showing my age here I guess). I never had any of the Nokia Navigator because they are really bulky.

I use my N900 for work and leisure everyday - email, browsing, posting on this forum right now, telephone calls, telephone conferencing, Skype VOIP. I give it to my daughters to play Angry Birds, I use it in my cars to make phone calls and stream music via bluetooth. It is also my main (video) camera. And the list goes on.

Re. Nokia support I'm glad I could update to PR1.3 and I'm especially thankful to a lot of people who contribute to Maemo.

All in all, I would be quite happy with my purchase even if Nokia EOLs it today!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nick.read View Post
Your comparison is not really accurate. Nokia are helping to produce a community/reference UX that will not include integration into OVI services (maps, chat, mail, etc...). Google have released Android 2.3 with *all* features and Google service integrations intact. People complain about not having voice navigation in Maemo, but the Meego Reference UX won't even have maps to begin with. Upgrading your N900 will not give you an equivalent experience to what you currently get from Maemo.
Yes. You are right that Nokia is "just" helping to get it done and outsourced whole project.

And I know what situation is with Nexus. And I really hoped that we got that kind of support from Nokia. Then again I realize that we are not completely left alone. There is HUGE difference there.

Regarding phone upgrades, I always buy phones free of contract yet I only upgrade phones every couple of years. I will not be buying the first Meego device simply because I only bought the N900 12 months ago. Next december I'll be looking around again, so that will give me time to evaluate whether Nokia do start supporting Meego *and* upgrades on the same device, or whether any of the Android manufacturers and doing better in this regard. If I were buying today it would be Android, but who knows what the situation will be a year from now.
Yes. Iīm going to also watch really carefully how Nokia is going to support next Meego device and how they are executing it. They could stand out simply stating clearly that how long and how they are going to suppor device. Comparison to really wild android device market where it seems that some devices get official upgrade and others donīt.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-12 at 23:32.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I applaud this forum and linux in general but no way am I jumping on the "thank you nokia" bandwagon regarding this device. that's almost like having stockholm syndrome...
I look at it this way. What alternatives are there? Android - been there, done that, boring. iOS - been there, done that, even more boring. I also don't want to sell my soul just to get a phone (spyware-google and holy-Steve).

Both Bada and WM7 looks just as boring as iOS, but have to admit that WM7 looks a bit tempting, it is something new and different after all.

Symbian is still numero uno, no spyware, lots and lots of functionality and technically the best OS of them all. Not the most shiny of the bunch right now, but it will get better, hopefully without ending up like a locked down spy central like the others.

MeeGo is still a question mark, so the only thing left is Maemo and the N900.

Either way, Nokia is the one, the alternatives doesn't turn me on.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
how many things were people supposed to check without actually owning the phone? I mean I checked that there was a chess app before buying, how could I know that it was barely usable and that you could not even distinguish the pieces? lots of stuff that a person would not know until they actually played with the phone for a while.

btw I have a friend who plays chess and is a linux admin and I showed him the phone. he then asked to see the chess app and as it was basically unusable he asked me to install different one. when I said there were no more choices he just laughed and picked up his htc evo.

You managed to write that amount of text without:
-Telling what was wrong with default chess app
--I can easily distinguish different pieces...hmmm..what chess app you are talking about?
btw:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/miniature/
http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature

These kind of post: "Dude x from z laughed that this is useless and I agreed" are just well...joke. When you are writing to forums you are probably trying to convince people and make point. BUT to make point you have to have facts/evidences/comparisons/numbers etc. Without them itīs just mumbling to other people.

Iīm do not agreeing or disagreeing that default chess app is joke but Iīm trying to point out that maybe people should really think why some people get little offensive when you jump conclusion without really showing and explaining the whole path to that conclusion.

.edit
wtf
You have commented to this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34242&page=7

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-12 at 23:42.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hobart, Australia
Yes. You are right that Nokia is "just" helping to get it done and outsourced whole project.

And I know what situation is with Nexus. And I really hoped that we got that kind of support from Nokia. Then again I realize that we are not completely left alone. There is HUGE difference there.
Agreed - it's *much* better than nothing I just find there to be a large disconnect in the jump from Maemo to Meego on the N900, yet it keeps being touted as way forward for people. Yes, it is a way forward, but not in a way that consumers would see as an advantage compared to a proper Nokia Meego device or other platform. I guess if N900 owners are going to purchase a new device, then like me, their decision might be to switch platforms. I would suggest that a clean upgrade to a Nokia Meego image for N900s would help retain those device owners.

Comparison to really wild android device market where it seems that some devices get official upgrade and others donīt.
Again, completely agree. While the Nexus is getting upgrades, phones released by the other manufacturers are not really getting that attention, even for phones released in the middle of this year! As I said though, if Nokia or one of the Android manufacturers take a stand and start supporting upgrades more, then that is who I'll support.

The Following User Says Thank You to nick.read For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest