Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
What about PAL? I suppose it could be possible to output at 1024x576@25 in PAL widescreen mode.

But probably it would simply be a scaled up 856x480.
Yeah just re-scaled, nothing to be excited about

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
What about PAL? I suppose it could be possible to output at 1024x576@25 in PAL widescreen mode.

But probably it would simply be a scaled up 856x480.
It is a clone output so no modification from the internal display resolution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
1)
We don't know with certainty that MHL isn't implemented via 3.5mm or mUSB, or cannot be w/future updates.
Thereby providing the N9 w/a means of 720p/HDMI output.

2)
DLNA's apparently implemented, but I've seen no evidence that a GUI for it will be included.
There's suggestions that future updates may include a GUI, but so far no official promises that I'm aware of.

What I want to know is... if DLNA will somehow improve the probability of reliable 1080p output?
I'd assume it has very little bearing, & that the underlying WiFi implementation, how it's configured...
And overall signal quality to the client device, matters far more, but I'm not 100% certain...
DLNA in this context is simply being able to stream compressed data from N9 to DMP (i.e. TV set). It does not matter what resolution of the video file is there as all N9 would do in such case is only give out the stream, no decoding is happening on N9 side. Think about it as if N9 was a small http server and your TV was a "browser".

Regarding HDMI/MHL -- there is none and will not be. Sorry, too late.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
DLNA in this context is simply being able to stream compressed data from N9 to DMP (i.e. TV set). It does not matter what resolution of the video file is there as all N9 would do in such case is only give out the stream, no decoding is happening on N9 side. Think about it as if N9 was a small http server and your TV was a "browser".
Fair enough, but that doesn't really serve to prove how DLNA augments the delivery of HD video formats to end devices.
If it does that & does it well then great, I'm not against it per say, any specific examples of where it's used to great effect?

What about 802.11an, do we know for sure that there'll be support?

Regarding HDMI/MHL -- there is none and will not be. Sorry, too late.
Oh, so you're a Nokia dev. involved in that area?
Sorry, but not a very compelling argument as-to-why it's not present or do-able.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-08 at 16:44.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
The N9 is capable of 720p video playback, right?
Fact: the N9 is capable of playing video using its "Wide codec support: H.263, MPEG4-SP & ASP, H.264 BP/MP, WMV9 / VC-1 and Mkv (Matroska)"

So the N9 is capable of displaying 720p video, right?
Fiction: Not possible. Weasel words from Nokia marketing might make you think that it can, but the N9 display resolution is FWVGA (854 x 480 pixels), but 720p video is 1280x720 pixels. However, the N9 screen is 16:9, so it should show scale wide-screen video quite nicely.
... And Galaxy S2 is capable of playing 1080p though the screen has the same (!)resolution. Not suprising really.

Ad rules! meh
Matroska isn't a video codec.
Fact: No, it's not. But let's stay on-topic...
The official Divx company said that their Divx+ encode videos in .mkv .As a result, there is a high chance that a .mkv video is encoded with Divx+(Link) or at least playable with Divx+ decoding package.
Does the N9 support Flash?
This has caused some confusion. The answer is:
Fact: the N9 has native support for Flash video.
Fiction: the browser does not support Flash (yes yes, just like the iPhone).
iPhone users can get adobe flash playback with a 3rd party browser(i.e:skyfire). The mentioned internet browser also enables android users to play silverlight content.(e.g:NetFlix,IMDb and etc.) In addition, they said that it's likely they will start porting their browser into Meego platform. Even if they don't, users could still get flash playback by installing Firefox(Apparently). So to say that a platform does support flash content and another one does not is a certain misguide mostly caused by company ads like google (and others)

Last edited by govprog; 2011-07-10 at 18:43.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Does anyone have exact info on the N9's h.264 decoder? There's different profiles of h.264 and N900 could only play the "Baseline" profile. With most h.264 videos being either "Main" or "High" profiles, I'm interested in knowing if N9 can play those without re-encoding.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Does anyone have exact info on the N9's h.264 decoder? There's different profiles of h.264 and N900 could only play the "Baseline" profile. With most h.264 videos being either "Main" or "High" profiles, I'm interested in knowing if N9 can play those without re-encoding.
iPhone and iPod have the same limitation last time I have heard of them.I am not exactly sure whether this problem has been fixed by now, but most of the(iPhone) users won't even care about it because the iPhone is shipped with a converter.Same might happen to N9.
EDIT:Furthermore,the OP said that the N9 can play BP and MP.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-07-10 at 08:53.

Ah, seems I missed that small text about h.264 BP/MP support. That's lot better that just base profile, although high profile would have been nice... It probably means that I still need to re-encode most videos.

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Ah, seems I missed that small text about h.264 BP/MP support. That's lot better that just base profile, although high profile would have been nice... It probably means that I still need to re-encode most videos.
Please note that spec says that for H,264 HD only Base Profile is supported. What a pity, event X7 does that better... Is this SoC limitation? X7 has aging BCM2727... Is it really better than OMAP 3630?

There has been 3rd party made decoders for OMAP that can handle bigger resolutions/profiles than the ones provided by TI. I guess Nokia hasn't dished the money to buy them and are using the TI ones.
Odd thing is that I read that High profile is about as slow to decode as Main profile (both use CABAC entropy encoding) so it's odd if N9 supports Main profile but not High? And I'm not really worried if it can't decode 720p, because the screen can't show it without resize anyway.

Last edited by DeeGee; 2011-07-10 at 09:53.