Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Sure, the best way would be to upload your app to a repository, no doubt. We encourage everyone to do that.
But we won't _force_ anyone to do that.

Edit: There is a community repository for MeeGo btw: http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Repo
Ok, but keep in mind (and reminds to other developers) that testing an application that is under a repo and is 'easy' to install would be tested easily instead of another that need to be installed manually, take care of dependencies and so on....
Since the judges are the users I think this step is important.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 329 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
I've seen the rules, and "porting" an app to Meego is also mentioned. The thing is, I recently released Reverstris Lite for Maemo, and I heard Meego already has good support for SDL, so it should be easy to recompile it with few minor adjustments. The game was also "developed and extended" a bit during competition timeframe. So, can I participate with it? Even if only the "porting" part is valued, it's fine by me, as my primary goal is just to get the game out there, as I'm hoping a few more people will try it out if it shows up on the list.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by TheBurek View Post
I've seen the rules, and "porting" an app to Meego is also mentioned. The thing is, I recently released Reverstris Lite for Maemo, and I heard Meego already has good support for SDL, so it should be easy to recompile it with few minor adjustments. The game was also "developed and extended" a bit during competition timeframe. So, can I participate with it? Even if only the "porting" part is valued, it's fine by me, as my primary goal is just to get the game out there, as I'm hoping a few more people will try it out if it shows up on the list.
I don't know if it is against the rules, but
keep in mind, there is a two month time frame.
If I only need some hours to port an already existing app,
I wouldn't use this for a two month coding competition.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
agree with nicolai, or at least we need a 'port' category ?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
Ok, but keep in mind (and reminds to other developers) that testing an application that is under a repo and is 'easy' to install would be tested easily instead of another that need to be installed manually, take care of dependencies and so on....
Since the judges are the users I think this step is important.
Yes, that's for sure!

Originally Posted by TheBurek View Post
So, can I participate with it?
Of course.
Everyone please take a look at this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=24
As I see it, you've released the game on 31st March 2011. I don't have a World-Date-Maps here right now, but it is possible that in some countries it was already the 1st April? The first April was the date we started the competition so that would mean you can enter even with the whole app, not just the porting stuff.
What does the community think? Should we allow him to enter with his maemo version?

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
I don't know if it is against the rules, but
keep in mind, there is a two month time frame.
If I only need some hours to port an already existing app,
I wouldn't use this for a two month coding competition.
There is also a rule, that it is possible to enter with as much apps as you like...

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-04-08 at 11:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 329 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thanks for taking an interest The thing is, I don't have the time to develop something from scratch just for this Meego competition, *and* I wanted to port to Meego anyway. When I heard about this competition, I thought - "if the rules allow, why not". I don't want any special treatment, any bending of rules, etc. If it's just "porting", then so be it. I just want Reverstris to be somewhere in that Meego bandwagon

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
I am pretty much confused how to participate in the competition, every time I check the wiki, then come here back and again confused. I think I read that there will be some page where we have to kind of sign up to participate in the competition but I am confused, I think some meet meego site will host the show.

I am uploading my app and screenshot here and will make entry in wiki as well.

Developer:joseph9560 aka Krishna Prasad Shrestha
Name of the app:nepcal
Current Progress:70%
Beginner Entry: Yes

Description of the app:
Full Name of the app is Nepali Calendar and its function is to show current Nepali Calendar month. In Nepal (Country of Mt. Everest, the highest peak of the world, if you are confused), English date is still not widely used. National Nepali Calendar is Nepal Sambat but Bikram Sambat is still in use in actual practice. I frequently needed today's Nepali Date and I have no app to do that. There was a j2me app but it didn't even loaded completely in Microemulator. So finally decided to write up my own app.

At first I made a calculation of today's Nepali Date, then shown it in label. It was too limited in functionality and hence I added one more functionality that is month view. Nepali date is shown in box outside bracket while number inside bracket is English date. There is a label in the side to display today's Nepali and English date, four buttons to change displayed Nepali month and year, that's all is the app. There is a about dialogue menu but haven't implemented it.

I thought I will continue to develop the application further but I am finding it hard to manage my time especially after I started taking GRE class at morning and yes I do job at day.

Planned Future but can't say if I can manage time for that any sooner:
-Date convertor to convert date from Nepali to English and English to Nepali
-Implement some dialogue boxes such as about, aboutqt etc etc
-show/hide days of other months (before 1st day of the month and after last day of the month)
-show/hide English day that is displayed in bracket
-show the English date as subscript
-set custom config file where user can put his/her own data file to calculate date (I have put data of only 3 yrs, there's no formula to calculate number of days in a month)

That's etc! Cent percent useless app for most of the people except Nepalese. If I implement config file then user may create calendar for his/her own national calender if they have calender system which is not covered by any formula(to calculate number of days of a month). Another quick note is I tried to multi-cal-date-widget and it was probably few decade back than what should have been in Nepali Calender, tried to tweak it without any success finally qt solved my problem.

I want to remind that before creating this app, I didn't know a single line of c++, I wish qt supported c#!!! c++ is indeed different. I am newbie to both qt and c++ and most of the functionalities I wanted to implement is very simple thing for experienced qt developers but for me, its darn hard.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb nepcal_0.0.2_armel_first_full_final.deb (26.1 KB, 98 views)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
What does the community think? Should we allow him to enter with his maemo version?
Yes, absolutely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
He originally developed this game for a Android Coding Contest. But there is no rule to forbid entering more than a single contest...

It will get very hard for other developers in the games section to beat this game! Perhaps to frustrating? Daunting? Or motivating to make something better than this?

It runs already at maemo. The difference regarding MeeGo is very low. So is this really porting?
I don't know and I have not the best feeling about it. But I would say go for it!

It seems to be a great pice of software... and we want exactly this!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
@Joseph9560

I see you uploaded the wiki but you have set a wrong category for your app (please choose one ofthis list)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia