If you have $600 to spend on a phone which one would you get and why?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You have to give criteria that would influence your decision one way or the other.

What's important? Screen? RAM? Materials used? Color? Interoperability with your desktop OS of choice? Hardware keyboard?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
N900 + have 400$ left in pocket. Period.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You have to give criteria that would influence your decision one way or the other.

What's important? Screen? RAM? Materials used? Color? Interoperability with your desktop OS of choice? Hardware keyboard?
NO criteria from my side.
Its about what would be your decision, and why.

I would buy the N950 no hesitation!

I had the N900 on pre-order but the N9 I bought months later. Had it been the N950 I would have also bought it on launch day. Such a sad state of affairs really not to be selling such a beautiful phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait... where are you guys getting these $200 N900's? Link me, I need a new travel phone.

I'm horrible at these things. But here's my take.

If you're out for something just right now, I'd say go SGS2 then go and flash a custom ROM on top of it to obtain root and have access to a set up apps, utilities that fall short in terms of being a full-blown Linux but can do terminal, SSH et al. Matters on your usage.

If you're out for something down the line, then I'd say wait for the next crop of phones to come out. There's a few that will have quad core, blah blah... but it's really down to build, the OS being updated to the upcoming levels - Jelly Bean is next after Ice Cream Sandwich.

Notice that I'm shifting over to Android. iOS doesn't give you control like we TMO'ers tend to like. Android isn't Linux/Unix - we've heard those arguments before but at least manufacturers are supporting it still. Can't say the same for Maemo/MeeGo. And I have no reason to believe that Tizen will be different.

SGS2 for now. HTC One X also has my attention. SGS3 is rumored to be announced next month. Those are the ones I'd say be aware of for the next 30 days.

btw... whatever happened to your N9 body swap?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
If I didn't already have N9, then the white N9. Why? Linux in pocket with great UX and perfect size/body for me.

There's nothing else in the market I find interesting at the moment. So that 600$ I'd use for diapers (not for me, the baby)

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-03-30 at 17:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
I want to get a Galaxy Note, but I'm waiting for Samsung to bring out an official update to ICS for it. Why do I want it? Because it has a large high resolution screen which will still fit in my jeans pocket and a stylus and removable battery and a fast dual core processor and it runs Android and I need a decent Android device, I'm not sure it will replace my N900, but will certainly be a nice complement to it. The N9 seems mildly interesting, but without a keyboard or FMTX or IR port or removeable battery it almost seems like a downgrade from an N900, but I might consider it when I can pick up a 2nd hand one cheap.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait... where are you guys getting these $200 N900's? Link me, I need a new travel phone.

I'm horrible at these things. But here's my take.

If you're out for something just right now, I'd say go SGS2 then go and flash a custom ROM on top of it to obtain root and have access to a set up apps, utilities that fall short in terms of being a full-blown Linux but can do terminal, SSH et al. Matters on your usage.

If you're out for something down the line, then I'd say wait for the next crop of phones to come out. There's a few that will have quad core, blah blah... but it's really down to build, the OS being updated to the upcoming levels - Jelly Bean is next after Ice Cream Sandwich.

Notice that I'm shifting over to Android. iOS doesn't give you control like we TMO'ers tend to like. Android isn't Linux/Unix - we've heard those arguments before but at least manufacturers are supporting it still. Can't say the same for Maemo/MeeGo. And I have no reason to believe that Tizen will be different.

SGS2 for now. HTC One X also has my attention. SGS3 is rumored to be announced next month. Those are the ones I'd say be aware of for the next 30 days.

btw... whatever happened to your N9 body swap?
Body swap went horrible, completely messed it up, wouldnt charge at all claimed insurance and thats how I got the $600.

Edit
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=13
Had the SG II swapped again a month later, size when holding in hand wasn't for me.

Last edited by somedude; 2012-03-30 at 21:45.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
If I didn't already have N9, then the white N9. Why? Linux in pocket with great UX and perfect size/body for me.

There's nothing else in the market I find interesting at the moment. So that 600$ I'd use for diapers (not for me, the baby)
Depends how long you hold the $600, 100+ diapers might just be for yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post: