Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why won't Nokia and the community members just come straight out and say the one thing that's not been said so far... the future here is capped, the source will never be released, enjoy what you have for as long as it works... have a good day.

Simple. Clear. Seems to precisely what needs to be said.
AHA where did that come from i wonder but yes unless something changes ......

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
AHA where did that come from i wonder but yes unless something changes ......
I typed it. That's where it came from.

Now, if only we can get confirmation - but I promise I will not doggedly go after it and say the same thing in many threads upsetting people even further.

Take the hint.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I did laugh when i read the title of this thread and thought to myself.... MeeGo development ??? for the N900 ????? what???? where when how??????.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
I did laugh when i read the title of this thread and thought to myself.... MeeGo development ??? for the N900 ????? what???? where when how??????.
That's an insult to all the people working on MeeGo ARM and Nokia N900 hardware adaptation. Please educate yourself and go look at what work actually has been done instead of this crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why won't Nokia and the community members just come straight out and say the one thing that's not been said so far... the future here is capped, the source will never be released, enjoy what you have for as long as it works... have a good day.

Simple. Clear. Seems to precisely what needs to be said.
At least in N900 hardware adaptation for MeeGo, for those binaries that are currently closed, I find it unlikely their source will ever be released.

What does matter is if there's work to somehow make the binaries sustainable. Ie, things that are closed, but redistributable, maintained or otherwise technically made to automatically recompile against newest targets.

I maintain it's better we have working functionality of some hardware parts through some few closed binaries than nothing at all. OpenGL ES Software rendering is such a drag.

Originally Posted by tekki View Post
That's an insult to all the people working on MeeGo ARM and Nokia N900 hardware adaptation. Please educate yourself and go look at what work actually has been done instead of this crap.
Yeah right so we have this WONDERFUL MeeGo UI for the N900????? stop talking crap will you and look at reality for gods sake !.

Originally Posted by tekki View Post
At least in N900 hardware adaptation for MeeGo, for those binaries that are currently closed, I find it unlikely their source will ever be released.

What does matter is if there's work to somehow make the binaries sustainable. Ie, things that are closed, but redistributable, maintained or otherwise technically made to automatically recompile against newest targets.

I maintain it's better we have working functionality of some hardware parts through some few closed binaries than nothing at all. OpenGL ES Software rendering is such a drag.
This proves once again your going round and round and round in circles talking about dreams nothing more..... get to the facts and look LOOK at what has ACTUALLY been achieved to date as a MeeGo adaption for the N900, because it is no more than a very very basic ui that can not even hold it's own weight as an independant MeeGo OS for the N900.

Yeah right so we have this WONDERFUL MeeGo UI for the N900????? stop talking crap will you and look at reality for gods sake !.
I am looking at reality and you claim there's no development going on, which is not true and totally baseless. There is a ton of work done to support the base system and hardware adaptations, leading to people being able to put -any- UI on top, be it Handset UI, Plasma Active, Cordia or even XBMC or a fancy video of a pink pony dancing to the sounds of the 80's. The UI is just candy on top.

And I'm asking you to simply go and educate yourself as you're looking like a fool. Check out mailing list archives, http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...gust/date.html (follow meeting minutes and the logs referred in those), IRC logs: http://trac.tspre.org/merbot/freenode/%23meego-arm/ , http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...gust/date.html for commits (MeeGo core)

And there is your answer to your original question.

Any mobile operating system project is like a sausage. It looks really disgusting while you make it, but in the end it tastes good. In commercial systems you don't see the 'making' part.

I'd like to say that this community is utterly screwed if it wasn't for those teams doing hard work to drag out and rebase closed source and N900 specific functionality on top of a open stack, letting you loose of the death grip of a closed stack. Kernel developers updating your kernels, contributing N900 kernel patches to upstream, etc.

And I honestly think you should be thankful that this work is being done, just to help this community. They deserve some respect.

abill_uk, I've asked you to go educate yourself now. I don't have time to educate you and please, for the love of god, go read deepily about what you are posting about.

You're destroying good work, good motivations, good value and people wanting to do things and you might do a lot better if you knew more about what you were talking about.

This proves once again your going round and round and round in circles talking about dreams nothing more..... get to the facts and look LOOK at what has ACTUALLY been achieved to date as a MeeGo adaption for the N900, because it is no more than a very very basic ui that can not even hold it's own weight as an independant MeeGo OS for the N900.
OK, definitions:

Core: linux distribution, mostly consisting of boring UNIX style utilities and other middleware to boot a system

Hardware adaptation: kernel, drivers, plugins for a certain device

UI: what runs on top of a Core. UI can be for example the "Handset UX", "Plasma Active", "Cordia", "xterm"

Combine these three and you have a image for a device. UI doesn't say much about hardware adaptation or core, it just says something about UI.

If something is broken in UI on one device but not the other, then the hardware adaptation is at fault.

Now, go read my original post again with those definitions in mind.

I am talking about the MeeGo adaption for the N900 NOT for every other device and you very well know that so why tell me about what is going on in other area's?.

I am posting on Maemo.org not on Meego.com so yes i can give my opinion on here regarding the N900.

I have seen what has been done on the Meego front and it has now moved on to other devices and left the N900 behind.

WHEN you can point me to a completed OS that can be programmed into the N900 as a permament working fully OS then i will know for sure work has been furthered but untill then i will still have the same opinions sorry.

All your talking about is Meego development going on in other area's and your trying to make out this fantastic development that has been done for the N900 ... yes the N900 i am talking about here ok.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-31 at 05:14.

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance