Active Topics

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Deb & Ian's dooryard
Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
I really should test my device with powertop... What was proper command to redirect powertop result to file ?
Stdout can be redirected with '>' to write to a file.

# ls -l > ls-l.txt (creates/overwrites file and redirects output to file)

# ls -l >> ls-l.txt (creates file if not present or appends to existing file)

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html
http://www.mathinfo.u-picardie.fr/as...direction.html

//Edit

No, seriously, sorry, but it's quite hard to comment on. Maybe install water cooling system to your charger? :P

Also, remember that it's -devel. Considering what You've just written, I think your technical knowledge isn't entirely up to using -devel (no offense, just advice).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Pali, I've checked charging with bq2415x_charger. It works great, although, when I wanted to alter sysfs entries to charge with 1250 mA current (I have 3Ah battery) as I used to do with charge21.sh script by ShadowJK, I discovered strange thing. My sysfs entries looks as follows:

Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150-0/charge_current
Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150-0/current_limit
Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150-0/termination_current
Are they supposed to be divided/multiplied by something, to get real mA values? Or are they calculated like that, because my reported capacity of battery is now 2616 mAh (I haven't yet calibrated it properly, since last repair operations on N900)?

Also, charging chip accept 1250 as max charging current, and it seems to me, that with such values, it just uses default 950.

Another strange thing is what happens, when I try to mess a little with those values. If I set /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150-0/charge_current to any small number (for example, 300), it changes itself to 1350 (!). real charging current becomes something about 500 mA, then. When I try to set my desired charging current, 1250 (mA), it changes itself to 2050.
---

Could You, please confirm/deny that it's bug, and if the latter, explain how it's supposed to work?

2nd question is purely cosmetic - during charging, diode stays yellow/bright orange, like in emergency charging, even with screen ON. You've mentioned, on IRC, that it's possible to disable it via sysfs entry - which one?

Also, you've postponed element, that will use charging pattern boost from mce.ini (just like usbmode.sh does, during booston) for later, yes?

Thanks a lot for answers, in advance.

/Estel

// Edit

I have noticed some tendency, with those sysfs entries. If I set it to 950, it changes (as usual, on it's own) to 1750, like it was by default. When I set 1250 - as said before - it changes to 2050 = 300 more than 1750, just like 1250 is 300 more than 950.

Could it be, that it works OK, but just need to be "translated" somehow? In such case, 1350 would translate as 550, i.e. lowest charging current possible by chip (outside saturation charge, towards end), so that is why it changes itself to 1350 as lowest one?

If yes, how to translate termination current, that present even more strange results? Or current_limit, which sets itself as 1800 max? It would be nice, if You could explain how all values - which I've listed in first part of this post - should be calculated.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-07-31 at 23:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Kula, Serbia
What is advantage in charging with bq2415x over ordinary charging with bme and how to activate it exactly?

p.s. Sorry if the question is stupid, I am a noob.

The Following User Says Thank You to branja For This Useful Post:
Another thing spotted - mentioned earlier:

Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24150-0/termination_current
Acts very strangely. It is supposed to mean 100 mA termination current, as lowest value it accept is 6500, which is 50 mA, and lowest value accepted by chip. Hoever, highest value accepted by chip is 400 mA, which should be 6850 as sysfs value. Unfortunately, it accepts 6800 as max (changes itself to 6800, if higher value is presented)

Which is even more confusing, after changing it, You're absolutely enable to provide default value (6550) again - whatever one input there, it changes itself to 6500 or 6800, *only*. It refuses to accept anything in between, as said, even value that was set by default. fortunately, unloading module, enabling bme, disabling bme and loading module again, bring all related sysfs values to default.

I may be wrong, but this one sounds absolutely like bug to me.

/Estel

// Edit

branja, to charge with bq2415x_charger, You need to, as root:

Code:
stop bme
modprobe bq2415x_charger
To stop using it, You do:

Code:
rmmod bq2415x_charger
start bme
Advantages - it's huge step toward introducing replacement for bme. Currently, only two direct advantages for end-user apply - possibility to set own charging current (higher one for bigger batteries, for example) and termination current (for terminating charging properly during heavy load), and possibility of charging during USB hostmode.

Basic goal is to replace BME, but of course, being totally open, bq2415x_charger have virtually countless possibilities. It should be easy to write scripts/program for - as example - enabling, when invoked, charging only to 80% (save battery health), or to introduce leaving device on charger without negative impact on battery (now BME doesn't necessary follow best practices re extending life of battery).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
branja, to charge with bq2415x_charger, You need to, as root:

Code:
stop bme
modprobe bq2415x_charger
To stop using it, You do:

Code:
rmmod bq2415x_charger
start bme
Advantages - it's huge step toward introducing replacement for bme. Currently, only two direct advantages for end-user apply - possibility to set own charging current (higher one for bigger batteries, for example) and termination current (for terminating charging properly during heavy load), and possibility of charging during USB hostmode.

Basic goal is to replace BME, but of course, being totally open, bq2415x_charger have virtually countless possibilities. It should be easy to write scripts/program for - as example - enabling, when invoked, charging only to 80% (save battery health), or to introduce leaving device on charger without negative impact on battery (now BME doesn't necessary follow best practices re extending life of battery).
Hello.
How do I set my own charging current?
I got the new BL-5J with the additional 100mA and there for the bettery only get charged to 85%.
See this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=bl-5j

Originally Posted by Estel View Post

//Edit

No, seriously, sorry, but it's quite hard to comment on. Maybe install water cooling system to your charger? :P

Also, remember that it's -devel. Considering what You've just written, I think your technical knowledge isn't entirely up to using -devel (no offense, just advice).
I'm fine with using devel since 3 years and never had a problem. Also this time my problem gone after downgrade.
After using n900 for 3 years my charger never has been so hot. I don't need a water cooling, just stable kernel(as stated in the topic).

I post this information to warn other users cause this may damage the hardware. With all respect for your work on developing the kernel, there is no need to flame people who are describing symptoms of bugs you made.

The Following User Says Thank You to hardkorek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ istanbul
Hell

When i install KP51 and switch off the device than press on but nothing ! My n900 is dead and now do not open

When i press power button and appear nokia ikon on the screen short time than vibrate once and device goes turn off than repeat again this intervals. But don't open any time !

I think I found a bug

stop bme
modprobe bq2415x_charger

->Display turns off while charging: I wanted to leave it on because sometimes it cannot be unlocked, so I have to remove the battery.

//Edit: Okey with simple brightness widget the display can run 24/7
I noticed that SSH works even if the display is off and not unlockable. Maybe this can be used to get debug information.

Last edited by projekt; 2012-08-04 at 15:47.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ istanbul
i remove the battery but same result device is do not open. When i connect to charge device is open itself than appear Nokia ikon than device goes off than on intervals.

Tags
bq2415x_charger, bq27200, kernel-power