Notices

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
I tried speedometer from ovi store and it does not show the right speed. It goes until 2kmh or 1mile. I was in a car when I used it(next to the window), we ve had about 80kmh and it was showing 2! It doesnt seem to working. Can you check yours and tell me if it works?

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Works just fine. GPS need a data connection get fix so you need to allow internet access when the program asks for it. Even then you might need to wait a few moments for GPS to get fix. After that the speed should be displayed as it is.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

You mean that it doesnt lock without tha a-gps right? It's useless then.

I haven't tried it myself yet but one thing I noticed with the app is that you can apparently make it display a mirror image, thus it should be possible to place it on the dashboard and have a nice little HUD image reflecting from the windscreen. Eager to see how well it will work, probably only at night time though I suspect. Anyhow, very clever idea IMHO.

Originally Posted by Kee View Post
I haven't tried it myself yet but one thing I noticed with the app is that you can apparently make it display a mirror image, thus it should be possible to place it on the dashboard and have a nice little HUD image reflecting from the windscreen. Eager to see how well it will work, probably only at night time though I suspect. Anyhow, very clever idea IMHO.
That also works very nice I tried it last night while driving to home from work.
Need to figure out a good way to mount the phone on the dashboard though...

anapospastos: as far as I know the N900 GPS only works when a-gps is enabled (some issue with firmware or so...). It's not the speedometer's fault.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
No, it's useless because most cars actually have a speedometer right on the dashboard.
Anyway, I think you meant it's useless for you then, because I, for example, have nothing against connecting over gprs or 3g to get a fix.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
In that case, you might want to vote for bug 7026 and possibly for bug 5337 too if you want that fixed (it's not a problem with the speedometer app itself - even the built-in GPS apps have a lot of trouble getting a GPS fix with AGPS disabled).

I ve already vote for these bugs but the whole app is a disaster. It should show that it searching for gps(the icon for gps on the desktop doesnt exist when u use the app) and it just staying there and you wait and wait and wait and anything. Only displays 2kmh. It could be better in my opinion.

I ve already vote for these bugs but the whole app is a disaster. It should show that it searching for gps(the icon for gps on the desktop doesnt exist when u use the app) and it just staying there and you wait and wait and wait and anything. Only displays 2kmh. It could be better in my opinion.
The WHOLE app is disaster because there's no GPS-lock indicator?
Okay.. I'll get my coat.

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
The WHOLE app is disaster because there's no GPS-lock indicator?
Okay.. I'll get my coat.
It seem to be just right there and sitting. Its annoying to wait and any indicator or something to tell you: "hey i cant get a gps lock"