Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

How about faster swap chip?
Bus?
Capacity?
Speed?
N900's emmc pulls 18-19 mb/s during copying large file to MyDocs(fat32)
cpu is mhz per mhz compared to n900's.
New codecs will be required for the new dsp?
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-09-24 at 18:15.

Big thumbs up for the project. I am an end user of N900 for only a few months, and which is my first 'smartphone'. The open source nature and linux architecture is what had drawn me.
From its specs, Neo900 is definitely going to be THE device after N900.
My only small gripe about N900 is the battery life. I would wish Neo900 to have more battery life, if possible. Otherwise I will just carry an extra battery as I do now.
All the best.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodearth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by goodearth View Post
Big thumbs up for the project. I am an end user of N900 for only a few months, and which is my first 'smartphone'. The open source nature and linux architecture is what had drawn me.
From its specs, Neo900 is definitely going to be THE device after N900.
My only small gripe about N900 is the battery life. I would wish Neo900 to have more battery life, if possible. Otherwise I will just carry an extra battery as I do now.
All the best.
Thanks! :-)
Battery standby time is a huge problem with *all* smartphones, and not much we can do about bigger battery. But what I just put on my ToDo list is: consider support for convenient seamless hotswapping of battery.

cheers
jOERG

Note to self: 2mF@12V(RS232?) -> LDO_4.3V -> fuse -> (OVP to GND) -> FET switch controlled by BSI -> battery. Should allow trained user to do sub-second hotswapping, when device in power reduced mode (flight mode, screen blank, no audio or vib, <50mA current from bat)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-24 at 19:04.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
convenient seamless hotswapping of battery.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
You mean like a small 10 or 20mah lion battery inside the case that would work like an ups? Nice idea, considering that we swap batteries but is there enough space inside n900 case?

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Get a Lumia920 or a fruitPhone instead, please. Or one of the zillion Android devices which are definitely better hw and cheaper than Neo900 ever can get. Thanks!
wow, wasnt expecting this kind of hostility for asking a valid question
there is probably a reason i am still using n900 after buying it almost 4 years ago, and your suggestions what to buy are insulting at the least
good day to you, as i am clearly unwelcome as a potential customer

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
wow, wasnt expecting this kind of hostility for asking a valid question
there is probably a reason i am still using n900 after buying it almost 4 years ago, and your suggestions what to buy are insulting at the least
good day to you, as i am clearly unwelcome as a potential customer
Sorry, no hostility intended. It been a honest advice. I'd really not want any of you feeling disappointed in the end about the performance of this device. This is not bleeding edge hw, we can't do that since chip manufs don't allow us to buy 200 of their new chips. And we don't even want to do that since Neo900 is first and foremost about binary compatibility to N900 and fremantle as is.
Anybody hoping to get appropriate hw grunt for the buck, on par with what big players like Samsung, Nokia, Apple can do, will be disappointed in the end. We don't want to see unhappy customers.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-24 at 19:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I would call it DocScrutinizer style - love it or leave it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Estonia
Theoretically we could provide some form on dual touch in resistive 4-wire, but I wonder what it's worth when none of the Qt/Hildon/whatnot bits and none of the apps and none of the original N900 can support it.
Not native N900 apps, but WebOS games via preenv. With little ram, cpu and gpu upgrade they probably will run very smoothly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zod For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
Not native N900 apps, but WebOS games via preenv. With little ram, cpu and gpu upgrade they probably will run very smoothly.
I guess those apps would at very least need proper input device supporting MT. We don't have *any* drivers for such a botched 4-wire based pseudo-MT, and afaik there are no such drivers anywhere yet, since in the end of the day it still remains a botch so no sane hw devel will support it in their platform and thus nobody had a platform to develop any such driver on it.
Bottom line: maybe we will add a few birdseeds (if it's only a few cent on BOM) to allow somebody developing a MT driver based on this very unique hw botch, but don't consider that any level of honest support from either hw or sw side.

[edit 2014-05-24] we (probably, as always) will support twopoint touch gesture recognition, for stuff like rotate and pinch

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-25 at 13:05.

Tags
neo900, thank you!