Notices

Anytime I spend hundreds of dollars on a portable device I get nervous at what I would do if I were to lose it. I'm wondering if we will ever see any kind of loss recovery software for Maemo? Considering the last two Maemo devices have GPS receivers and the N900 additionally has cellular data access, it seems this type of software would be completely doable. LowJack and MobileMe already offer these kinds of services and allow you to remotely locate your device and even have controls for sending messages, remote wiping, and security code options. Although one big drawback of MobileMe's offering is that it is easily circumvented by either disabling the MobileMe services (doesn't require a code or anything) or removing the SIM.

Is there any chance we'll be able to get this kind of software for Maemo? It seems to me it would be completely possible, the hardware is all there.

I believe there were projects on the older tablets and another discussion about this type of thing on the n900. Though one immediate problem is that the battery in the n900 is removable. Granted the damn thing is hard to open lol.

Any security system should also make it hard to reflash. That way a thief couldn't just take out the battery, plug it in later and reflash it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...