Notices

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Hey,

I started writing a media player for the jamendo.com website, and it's reached a nice enough state that I think I can show it to people. If you are nervous about installing software that hasn't gone through extensive testing, this is probably not for you. It's written all in python, so all the source is there to look at if you are so inclined.

Website (with screenshots)

Anyway, let me know what you think / if this is something that interests you.. if you haven't looked at jamendo.com already, I'd recommend it. It's kind of like youtube in the sense that there is a LOT of stuff there and not all of it is good, but there are definitely some good music there too.

Update: Jamaendo is now available in extras-devel, package is called jamaendo. Try it out!

Update again: Now in extras-testing. Please go here and vote if you've tried it:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...aendo/0.2.5-1/
Attached Images

Last edited by krig; 2010-01-09 at 23:07. Reason: New version in extras-testing

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to krig For This Useful Post:
Jamendo is excellent, they have got a really good selection of creative commons music that you can actually listen to on a regular basis. The tags system means you can find exactly the right kind of music.

They're also excellent for creative projects where you need a soundtrack.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Sweet... need to give it a try
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Some albums that I think are really good (your musical tastes may vary, of course):

Yeah, the major features that I want to add that aren't in there yet are tags search and playlist creation. Other than that, it's certainly comparable to the official jamendo.com iphone app in terms of features right now (and they don't support tags search either..).

I have
  • featured playlists
  • radio support (only the top 20 radios right now)
  • search for artist/album/track
  • download support / kind of.. right now it opens a .torrent link in the browser. I intend to detect if you have transmission installed and send the link there directly.

Especially the radio support is, in my own humble opinion, way better than that in the iphone app

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester UK
Hi Krig,
I'm new to all this maemo stuff so I'll have to pass on installing stuff that requires anything other than hitting the download button on app manager but what you have got so far looks good. Looking at your app and the actual Jamendo website it seems to tie in nicely. I'd never heard of Jamendo before so thanks for that too, I await your finished product.

I just managed to get it packaged and uploaded to extras-devel, so now it's easy to take a look at it.

New features since the previous time: Browse tags, generally improved interface and support for playlist creation (plus more).

The Following User Says Thank You to krig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Awesome I'll give this a shot.

Shameless plug:

Peace of Winter is the first (and only so far) album my startup (ArtisTech Media) has released on Jamendo in conjunction with the ccMixter community.

More info
http://blog.jamendo.com/2009/12/07/j...with-ccmixter/

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Münster
wow, thats awesome ... thx a lot. am jamendo listener for some years now, this is great news. going to give it a try

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Münster
quick refresh of repository did the magic. jamaemdo looks very nice, is way faster than the amarok2-jamendo module when i used it last time. already listening to monolithe - monolithic pillars

I've always thought it was something to do with jamendo.com itself, that all the players for it were so slow and crashy. It's the same thing with rhythmbox too, which is how I've mostly listened to it before. I was pretty surprised when I started hacking on this player and discovered that, as long as your internet connection is reasonably fast, it works really well. I use jamaendo to listen to music when I walk to and from work, and I have gapless playback over 3G the whole way.

The one thing that might be why everyone is so slow is because jamendo.com have a dump of their entire database that you can download so you don't have to talk to their servers as much. I started out trying to fit that on the N900, but since the mmc is quite slow, it was totally unusable. Now I just talk to the servers directly, just making sure I don't flood them with requests. It could be that most plugins to media players don't really handle that amount of data well.