Notices

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
I'm not smart enough to fix it. You'll have to wait for the author epage to come back around and make some changes. It broke some core system components on mine, probably did the same on yours.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Wow, this thread exploded while I was gone.

I do most of my development on a full Linux system so it makes testing a lot more difficult for me when I do Maemo specific features. Yet another reason why I avoided adding notification support.

I did mean my message about people who feel comfortable with the command line were the more particular ones I wanted testing because I expected to run into random issues. I'm concerned though that a downgrade doesn't work.

The code is based off of gv_notifier. If people have suggestions for improvements, I'm willing to take them. When you have a new message it will turn on the LED. Viewing for the first time or refreshing Message/Recent tabs will cause the LED to turn off. I was unsure if people would want me to launch Dialcentral automatically or not.

Things I've gotten fixes for (I hope) so far.
  • File/Directory does not exist (only shown on command line, prevents startup
  • DBus Exception (Allows startup but prevents being able to login)
  • Can't change away from 0 minutes for notification (now you can and it defaults to 5 but its not finger friendly and the keyboard doesn't seem to work)

Are there any other issues? I'm about to go to work. Once I get home is probably when I'll make a new package

Last edited by epage; 2009-08-17 at 12:26. Reason: Adding a testing note

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Epage, I was just over excited at seeing you added notification support as I've been quite a fan of your work (and addisjon's).

I could always learn xterm a bit better and still try to help out?

Anybody care to just give me the command line stuff to type in to open it up and I can copy and paste the output into here?

I had more time than I expected before work. 1.0.4-3 is now in extras-devel with a couple of fixes. If you are already broken please give it a try.

Known Issues:
  • Keyboard entry for setting notification time doesn't seem to work. I'll hildonize this widget in the next release.
  • I forgot to add DBus error guards around LEDs. Hopefully its less likely to cause issues than alarmd.

Originally Posted by fatboyxpc View Post
Epage, I was just over excited at seeing you added notification support as I've been quite a fan of your work (and addisjon's).

I could always learn xterm a bit better and still try to help out?

Anybody care to just give me the command line stuff to type in to open it up and I can copy and paste the output into here?
Yeah I can understand the excitement. People have been begging for this for a long time.

To launch Dialcentral with debug prints:
Code:
python2.5 /usr/bin/dialcentral.py
To print alarm information
Code:
python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py -x
To disable the alarm:
Code:
python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py -d
To enable the alarm with 10 minutes between checks:
Code:
python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py -e -r 10
To turn off the led. manually (refreshing the message/recent tabs should also turn it off.):
Code:
python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/led_handler.py
To force a check to see if there are any new messages:
Code:
python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_notify.py

Last edited by epage; 2009-08-17 at 14:08. Reason: Changing formatting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Anyone know what's going on?

Code:
~ $ python2.5 /usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py -e -r 5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py", line 136, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py", line 111, in main
    alarmHandler = AlarmHandler()
  File "/usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py", line 27, in __init__
    self._alarmdDBus = bus.get_object("com.nokia.alarmd", "/com/nokia/alarmd");
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 607, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.alarmd was not provided by any .service files
v1.0.4-2 seems to have killed gnotifier which no longer checks mail periodically. v1.0.4-3 did not fix this and shows a ''dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.alarmd was not provided by any .service files'' message on the bottom of the screen when DC is first opened. The entire Notifications section is grayed out and can't be adjusted/modified.

Last edited by st5150; 2009-08-17 at 18:06.

It works great so far. I haven't seen a bug yet. Thanks. This is everything I wanted in this app since I got GV in the first place. Thanks for your hard work. I'll keep you posted if I see anything.

by the way I didn't have GV notifier installed previously so I have no problems.

EDIT: okay one issue. It's the same one I had when I installed GV notifier(and later uninstalled it). The LED light keeps going off even when the SMS has been marked as already read. My inbox has to be completely empty before it doesn't go off again. I see that when you read a message in DC it marks it as read in GV.

Suggestion: If we can't get it to recognize what is new and what is not...can there be a "delete message" option with in DC? Right now I still have to go to GV to delete a SMS so the LED does not come on again.

Last edited by icbolsh; 2009-08-17 at 19:51.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ USA, Michigan
I've got the same problem with the led not going off.

Edit: Running the script provided for manually shutting off the led doesn't work ether. I figured it wouldn't but...

Last edited by Clockwork; 2009-08-17 at 22:40. Reason: more info

Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
okay one issue. It's the same one I had when I installed GV notifier(and later uninstalled it). The LED light keeps going off even when the SMS has been marked as already read. My inbox has to be completely empty before it doesn't go off again. I see that when you read a message in DC it marks it as read in GV.
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I've got the same problem with the led not going off.

Edit: Running the script provided for manually shutting off the led doesn't work ether. I figured it wouldn't but...
Right now the way we decide if there is a new message is very simplistic. It downloads all of your messages and performs a diff between a previous download and the current. The files are

Code:
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_voicemail.json
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_voicemail.old.json
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_sms.json
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_sms.old.json
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_missed.json
~/.dialcentra/snapshot_missed.old.json
The files at worst contain labels applied to the items. If someone would feel comfortable sending them to me, or if nothing else post here the results of "ls -l ~/.dialcentral" than I can try and figure out what is going on.

Also if someone could manually run "alarm_notify.py" and "led_handler.py" and send me the debug prints that could be helpful.

Looking at things, the content I download includes unread counts. I could also add a check to not give a notification if the unread counts are 0

EDIT: I think I have an idea of why its causing issues. The content we are caching has "relative time" in it which is "constantly" changing. Looking into a fix

Last edited by epage; 2009-08-17 at 23:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
v1.0.4-2 seems to have killed gnotifier which no longer checks mail periodically. v1.0.4-3 did not fix this and shows a ''dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.alarmd was not provided by any .service files'' message on the bottom of the screen when DC is first opened. The entire Notifications section is grayed out and can't be adjusted/modified.
On 1.0.4-3 does the error prevent normal operation of Dialcentral still? I'm not sure whats causing it but I hoped to at least have a thing in to prevent Dialcentral being completely useless

Hi epage, thanks for your work in this project. The error has killed maemo notifier. DC works with 1.0.4-3, with the exception of anything related to notifications. Let me know if you want me to run a particular .py and posts its output. For what its worth, I never installed 1.0.4-1. Just 1.0.4-2 then 1.0.4-3.

Last edited by st5150; 2009-08-17 at 23:58.