Notices

@Addison
first I would upgrade to the latest DC 1.0.4-5, I think it is the best one yet with built in notifier. Second, please read this blog for detailed instructions.
http://www.fromthefencepost.com/2009...ice-and-gizmo/
Hint: You want to change your account from Grand Central to Google voice in the drop down arrow on the right above where you put in your account name. Also you don't need anything on your home computer is you set it up right. So check out the link above it really covers everything.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
So first, the only way to make or receive a phone call is to have Gizmo active and running on my home computer, is this correct?
Well, you have to have some reachable end point, like Gizmo being open. Like is already mentioned, if you have RTComm, its much better to use the SIP client which is compatible with Gizmo. One less program to run.

When I answer a call I can't hear anything until I slide the volume button a little even if it was already set to maximum. Am I missing an option so this doesn't occur?
I believe I have heard of this issue before and its a known issue with Gizmo.

Lastly, if I open up DialCentral and call my home phone at (517) 272-xxxx, the only thing that happens is that I'm calling my Tablet on my Tablet. My house phone doesn't ring.
Once you answer the call on your tablet, does it then ring your home phone?

Isn't there a way to make my Google Voice number exclusive like a cell phone and not paired up to my home phone number?
In theory, according to those posts you linked. I still have it linked to my cell phone, a skype-in account, and a sipgate account.

Grand Central number - using number given to me by Google Voice
Calling it "Grand Central Number" through me off at first but then I remember this is a bug I fixed in 1.0.5. On the accounts tab, the account's phone number is referred to incorrectly as a "Grand Central Number". This is fixed in SVN along with a lot of other UI tweaks I'm making.

I thought I have everything correctly set up so what am I not understanding here?
It sounds correct to me.

[QUOTE=icbolsh;316780]Just to start with the basics: do you have your gizmo account set up in your built in client? Or whatever means....fring, gizmo app...etc.

Whoops, I got this issue fixed. It was actually a Google Voice error (sort of). I called an 11 digit number (a 1-866 number). Now the issue I'm having is w/the built in sip client, the dialing pad almost lags, so this makes using their menu (for entering long numbers) quite a bear. Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=fatboyxpc;317142]
Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
Now the issue I'm having is w/the built in sip client, the dialing pad almost lags, so this makes using their menu (for entering long numbers) quite a bear. Any suggestions?
I don't use the clients dialpad for making calls. Only DC's. I only the clients dial pad is for accepting calls. If you didn't already know, after you are in a call, you need to use the DTMF dial pad. For instance, you receive a call, then there are extra options that require a dial pad...in the client(not DC)go to top left hand menu, select "Internet Call" then "DTMF dialing".
Of course you probably know that.

Right, I can do that, but if I want to put in a long number (say a credit card number) it just breaks down. Just when I hit 1 for the first menu, it lags hard, the 16 digit cc number just wouldn't work lol

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Is there anything special I need to be doing to get the notificatins to work? 1.0.4. Notifications are checked and set to 10 min. Does DC need to be running first?

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Is there anything special I need to be doing to get the notificatins to work? 1.0.4. Notifications are checked and set to 10 min. Does DC need to be running first?
Dialcentral just configures notifications. Maemo's alarmd service does the rest from there. Your questioning this implies things might not be working? DId an event occur that should have caused a notification? Remember, you can have it notify for missed calls, voicemail messages, or SMS messages. Unfortunately to do much debugging beyond this will require some command line work. Do you feel comfortable with that?

extras-devel now has Dialcentral 1.0.5-0

I've tried to focus a lot on UI cleanups. If any of the adventurous could help in checking for bugs and let me know what they think of the changes, it would be much appreciated.

UI Tweaks
  • Contacts Tab now remember what was the last addressbook you viewed
  • More thumb scrollbars are present
  • Bigger items on Recent/Contacts/Messages tabs
  • Word wrap on Messages
  • Bigger message dialogs
  • Message dialogs autoscroll the conversation to the bottom
  • Notification time is now more thumb editable
  • Dialpad is usable sooner
  • I don't remember what else

Bug Fixes
  • Dialpad: previous number when sending an SMS is now cleared
  • Dialpad: SMS button is now grayed out when not logged in
  • I don't remember what else

Also, GrandCentral support is completely removed. I can't really test it because my account is converted and I didn't receive complaints when I had previously asked about removing it.

For advanced use: I also provided an example alternative notifier. "/usr/lib/dialcentral/example_custom_notifier.py"

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
I'll install the deval version soon. But DC doesn't need to be left running after it sets up notifications right? Alarmd takes care of the checking and notifying?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I have notifications for voicemail and sms checked. Sent an sms from my wifes phone waited 10 min no notification. Launched DC no notification until i 2x clicked on messages. Command line is fine. Let me know what you need.