Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Portland, OR
I have plenty of headphones that I like, and the built in mic on my N810 picks up a lot of ambient noise, so I have been looking for an adapter akin to the Griffin SmartTalk, which is made for the iPhone (and doesn't work quite right in our devices).

SO, I decided to take the wired earbud headeset that came with my N810 (those darn things never stay in my ears anyway) and convert it into an adapter.. er.. adapt it into a converter?

Instructions if you want to try it at home...
1. Go to radio shack and get PN: 274-274 (pictured)
2. Clip off the earbuds at base of the left one. This gives you as much cord to work with as possible. You can always cut it shorter later.
3. Strip back the wires, maybe 2 cm and burn off the insulation by holding a lighter under each exposed wire.
4. Slide on the screw-on cap, Solder it to the female connector as pictured, combining the R/G (left channel) & Gold (right channel) wires for the common.
5. Crimp the black wires, screw on the cap, tape it all up and voila! You have your self a spiffy adapter.

Once you burn off the insulation, you can ohm out the wire/bands to confirm how I've labeled it. Be careful not to solder the common/left/right channels together.
Attached Images

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Not quite the same idea but for most applications using the Speaky/Mikey Adapter helps make this kind of project a bit easier:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1996

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:

Tags
accessories, adapter, diy, mic, mod