Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
For those who like me bought the Sygic GPS navigator for Maemo, just be aware that it is possible to transfer their license to an Android device. I sent a message to their support and they replied in less than a day with a new product code.
Is it valid from n900 sygic to aura?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I haven't noticed any freezing or slowness at ALL in Chrome on my Nexus 7 nor on my Galaxy Nexus ever in any version of ICS or JB, to be honest.
It seems that the Nexus 7 has some issues with ssd write performance that affect the UI for different users. I am one of those users. My random write performance is really weak, and this can block the UI if there are any file ops on the main thread -- like caching pages in the browser. I assume that this is at the heart of what I was experiencing, but whatever the real reason, it has been fixed as of the latest release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is it valid from n900 sygic to aura?
I don't know. For me, it was valid for sygic n900 to sygic android.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't know. For me, it was valid for sygic n900 to sygic android.
Ok, I will try to conntact them and see if im in luck. How is the android version , for me on n900(version 9, 10) crached quite often during navigation. Have you used it a lot. Better than google maps? Pros cons?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
No crashes. Google maps has some issues, and the main is the need for mobile connectivity for routing and showing maps; but its maps seem more recent.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Wow.. that was quick. I'm running 4.2 now. These updates are coming fast... and I REALLY like the new separated drop-down notification (single swipe down from the left side of the status bar on a tablet, or single swipe down from anywhere on a small screen or phone) vs drop-down power-buttons (single swipe down from the right side of the status bar on a tablet, or a two-finger swipe down from anywhere on a small screen or phone). I like that a LOT... less real-estate wasted on symbols and bars and other stuff that doesn't need to be there. Although, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the lockscreen widgets--but it seems like a lot of people like them... and I DO like that I don't HAVE to have anything I don't like but everyone else can enjoy it too.

Oh the vast possibilities and configurations. I love Android more and more lately. NICELY done! I can't get over what an incredibly wasted opportunity Nokia had to be wayyyy out in front of all of this. >.<
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I too really enjoy the iterative changes in Android 4.2. There are a few things that I would have preferred for the stock experience, but these have more to do with the default apps, minor UI tweaks, and certain default OS settings. But these are mere nitpicks, as the experience is quite good overall.

The OS itself, seems to run very well, and the changes to the UI are very welcome. I'm looking forward to the Nexus 10 (as a shareable tablet, and a mobile development device), and the oh-so-gorgeous Nexus 4. I'm interested in noting the differences in performance that the various SoCs offer -- something tells me that the Exynos 5250 will perform extremely well with excellent SSD performance and best-in-class single-thread CPU performance.

As a developer, I'm very excited by the new APIs. One of the most understated features is Renderscipt Compute on the GPU that is now available for (presumably) the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 4. This should allow for complex things like image processing and video processing to be done at desktop performance, and hopefully some forward thinking developers take advantage of this powerful tool!

I also think Daydream is a really great new feature that hasn't gotten a lot of press. People see it as a screen saver, but any app can display any content when the daydream is triggered. It can act as a night-table clock, a news ticker, a security cam, etc. And daydreams are supplied like widgets, they come packaged with an app, so installation is really straight forward.

Lastly Mircast wireless display is perfect. It's not just about mirroring -- Android can actually display different content to the wireless display! This means a smartphone with video content could display a remote on its screen, while video is being streamed to the TV. I can think of some neat multi-window setups using this technology.

I'm really excited about the the next verision of Android. I think we'll see OpenGLES 3 which should bring the graphics API much closer to the desktop as well as more neat user-facing features. I really hope that multi-pane finally makes it to the platform and not in the ridiculous way that Win8 implements it.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2012-11-19 at 16:10.

The only thing that really tempts me about the 4.2 is Miracast.

If you recall, I made a big rant about this feature many months back and how it is necessary on Android. Basically, utilize the Wifi n (dualbands even better) to stream the screen grab. Basically microHDMI feed without the cables.

A great idea for presentations, and perfect for home media/gaming setup.
Why?
It frees the microUSB port for HOST functions, and as these superphones are getting more powerful it won't be too long until the port runs a 5V current. That would mean many more accessories that "just work" without power.

They can even make a HDMI-dongle, one which simply passes the Miracast feed into a "dumb TV" port. It will also be inexpensive (<$50) unlike some AndroidSticks .

I don't know too much about gpu software, but any improvements to OGLES implementation and APIs is a boon not only for developers, but users and the whole platform. I just hope it gets there before Apple and Microsoft platforms get the traction they're looking for.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
The only thing that really tempts me about the 4.2 is Miracast.

If you recall, I made a big rant about this feature many months back and how it is necessary on Android. Basically, utilize the Wifi n (dualbands even better) to stream the screen grab. Basically microHDMI feed without the cables.

A great idea for presentations, and perfect for home media/gaming setup.
Why?
It frees the microUSB port for HOST functions, and as these superphones are getting more powerful it won't be too long until the port runs a 5V current. That would mean many more accessories that "just work" without power.

They can even make a HDMI-dongle, one which simply passes the Miracast feed into a "dumb TV" port. It will also be inexpensive (<$50) unlike some AndroidSticks .

I don't know too much about gpu software, but any improvements to OGLES implementation and APIs is a boon not only for developers, but users and the whole platform. I just hope it gets there before Apple and Microsoft platforms get the traction they're looking for.
Yes, Miracast is a very exciting development. It is also one of those things that is far easier said than done.

The challenge of rolling out something like MIracast require a few things. It requires chips that are fast enough to do frame-buffer encodes on top of a potentially gruelling workload -- this generally calls for dedicated DSPs, multi-core CPUs, and a memory bus capable of hauling that information -- something modern SoCs can now do comfortably. This is especially relevant in games that tend to push resources to their max. Second, and perhaps most importantly, it requires coordination between OEMs that are producing different devices and forward vision to understand the future ramifications of the present specification implementation -- it bears the challenge of being a standard.

Sure, Google could have produced their own Miracast-like client on top of Android (eg. phone to GoogleTV), but Miracast wasn't an overnight development, and I'm sure they were well aware of and perhaps involved in the emerging technology. In this instance, waiting was wise: they produced a quality implementation that should yield a good UX, and will see very wide acceptance by many industry players.

I'm sure we'll see Miracast receivers for Android allowing us to connect stream screen content to tablet/phone/tv. I'm also looking forward to seeing the technology used in TVs, Projectors, and Head Mounted Displays, as the removal of a wire makes things that much easier.

With the growing inclusion of wireless charging, modern Android is 100% wire-free.

I feel the next major wireless developments will be device proximity detection (ie. knowing where other devices are relative to the searching device), and wireless charging at a distance (eg. anywhere in a room).

As for the GPU: GLES30 is a very, very big deal. It brings the mobile OpenGL API much closer to the feature set of the desktop which will make development much easier. It also has a ton of features that will enable a much more flexible rendering pipeline, far more efficient use of computation and memory, and way more rendering capabilities.

For example, using instancing -- the ability to reuse mesh data numerous times in a scene without having to duplicate it in memory -- tessellation (eg. LOD ~ Level Of Detail) is now possible on mobile devices, with little more than a dedicated Vertex Shader to manipulate the vertices of the instance patch! This is just one of the exciting features which should result in better graphics all around.

These changes are not trivial to the underlying hardware, but thanks to shrinking processes, there is more space to add additional functionality, and GLES30 is a great API to fill that space. Expect mobile games to come that seriously challenge current consoles in graphical fidelity.

No crashes. Google maps has some issues, and the main is the need for mobile connectivity for routing and showing maps; but its maps seem more recent.
Thx again, I was also able to transfer my Maemo to a android licence. Looks very good so far, any new cool features you can recommend?

Very nice move by sygic

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-11-20 at 16:34.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy