Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Most of you have seen this on XpressMusic devices running Symbian S60V5, and I have to admit, it's cool to have a way to quickly access some apps.

Well, there's an always-on proximity sensor on the N900 (yes, it's always on, whether in use, or not), so why not put it to use

It's activated by holding the proximity sensor for 1.2s, and of course, this is configurable, just edit /home/user/.config/MohammadAG/mediabar (hey, it's not my fault QSettings uses "Organisation names" as the config directory )

(V0.3) Hold the mediaplayer icon to show mediaplayer controls:

Might be more of a proof of concept for now, as the icons can't be changed, for now. Patches of course welcome

Thanks to Venemo for getting Qt Mobility code in it, however, I have went back to using proximityd and made Qt Mobility code available for non Maemo 5 devices, the reason for this is because QtM Sensors uses 7-17% of the CPU and keeps it at 500MHz, eating battery life.
Anyway, this should be very light on the battery, as the proximity is always active.

Thanks to nicolai for the Qt MAFW wrapper (that's also being used in the FOSS mediaplayer).

Package name is MediaBar (mediabar for apt-get)
Source on gitorious: http://gitorious.org/mediabar/mediabar

Due to the nature of an unpatched hildon-desktop, this will not work in the Task manager and the task launcher and hildon-desktop will just capture the click itself.

Enjoy

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2011-01-14 at 09:26.

The Following 135 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
-L-, ajack, AlMehdi, alynsparkes, AndyNokia232, angelbratz, anwar71839, arora.rohan, Bad_Habit, Beatty, bigears5000, Bingley Joe, BlackDiamond, BLIZZARD, bobbydoedoe, Boemien, br1zer, bzbnd, cfh11, Chrome, cincibluer6, cipper, cjp, clasificado, craftyguy, CrckMc, Crugath, Cue, cyapalmos, D4rKlar, daniel_m, datjomp, droitwichgas, edmac316, ejasmudar, elie-7, ezmendriz, F2thaK, fbnccst, festivalnut, fotis9, gabby131, gazza_d, HellFlyer, Helmuth, hesham, HtheB, humble, hycraig, imo, inkirby, Jaffa, jakiman, jedi, John McClane, joppu, Joseph9560, jpala16, jstokes, kamiwey, karimko, Keneraali, Laughing Man, lolloo, lookatbowen, MaddogG, MaDless, Maharadja, majesty, malkavian, Marklar, mark_ireland, MartinK, marxian, mbo, Mentalist Traceur, mikec, mikki-kun, Minhaz, misiak, moepda, mrsellout, n900maniac, Natan_xy, Netweaver, nkirk, NokTokDaddy, Omkar, OVK, panjgoori, pantera1989, plaban, porselinaheart, qosmio, rafael.mfr83, Rauha, rawutt, rnb89, sachin007, SavageD, saxen, shazosbourne, sinaisix, SSLMM, Steffe69, stickymick, stlpaul, Stonik, strange1712, studiosusmed, suzuka, Switch_, taike_hk, talmage, Tensuke, thej80, thp, Tiboric, timsamoff, tissot, titi974, Transcend, Trestry, trx, try-alls, tswindell, tzsm98, Veleno, Venemo, vkv.raju, whayong, wimmme, wmarone, Wonko
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
This is something I was really missing (I had a Nokia 5800XM, great phone ), thank you!

if nokia had someone like you.....

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to bzbnd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
how do I change shortcuts?

also we need more communication apps, we had enough customisation on the phone already!

but anyways thanks. but please ppl concentrate on applications for communication and connecting to people and friends better

and thats what N900 lacks of!

I already mentioned that it's v0.1 and the icons are all hardocded, it's open source though, you can easily change the icons and compile it.

As for communication, although we might not be talking about the same thing, we have something in mind for the coming months.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
but anyways thanks. but please ppl concentrate on applications for communication and connecting to people and friends better
People will scratch an itch. Perhaps you could make them aware of an itch they didn't know they had by describing something (in a different thread) concrete and achievable which meets these "communiction and connecting" requirements you have.

Since it's a phone, has IM/SMS & email, I don't have much problem contacting anyone in the world who I want to speak to ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
...As for communication, although we might not be talking about the same thing, we have something in mind for the coming months.
Now that's not fair - dangling the bait then pulling it away!

Let the speculum begin! (sorry, speculation)

Look forward to trying this out later - thanks once again.

Way (way!) too early to start talking about it

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
This is really cool, thanks!

Oh and I forgot to mention something, there's a Qt class in there that sends a signal when the screen's locked and has a boolean that returns true if the screen's locked, might be useful for other Qt devs out there (since this isn't available from Qt Mobility for some reason...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:

Tags
da man, mag-esque, mediabar, mohammadag, wikid