Active Topics

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
"ecosystem" - a flavour of the year management wank term. An ecosystem is a balanced system of diversity. So polar opposite to what Chief 'Male Cow Droppings' Officers spout.

Edit: didn't know that there is censorship on this forum.

Last edited by GreatGonzo; 2011-06-23 at 09:38.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post:
TBH I share a lot of the sentiments of the OP. Especially where networks are concerned.
Granted, their job is to make money, but IMO when there are far less expensive alternatives around the customer should have a choice. Why should I pay £5pm for 1GB of internet that, for the most part, is not much faster than the 0ld 56k, compared to the 25GB of 7Mb/sec that I'm getting at home for less than £20?
If my provider invested in it's network a lot more, made the services usable at least, then I wouldn't mind going along for the ride.

The N900 is like a breath of fresh air to me, after putting up with the network lock-outs for years. Nokia may be slated for it's lacklustre updates performance, but the networks are far worse for not allowing their end users access to the latest updates because the updates contain something that THEY don't want us to see, in favor of their crippling services.
I simply don't like the N9 because of it's Fisher Price looks and the fact that a lot more of it is closed, compared to the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
I can't help but be ambivalent about the N9.

Yes, I desperately want Meego to become a success, due to the same reasons stated by the OP (more freedom of choice and use in mobile phones)..
Maybe with another manufacturer. But I can't see it happening on Nokia devices.
Do you honestly think MS would sit by and watch this thing rocket skyward and leave WP7 hovering just above the launch-pad?

I don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
As much as i like to stay on board and support FOSS i am a consumer first, fanboy second, right now i don't need an N9.
Nokia is a company with the primary mission to make money, not promote FOSS. (I might get a second hand one eventually, if the price goes down enough)

What is the difference between the N9 or a device running WebOS or Bada? Personally, i can't see much without nitpicking on a highly technical level but this was about ideology, not technology.

Then there is the hars reallity of price. Most of you guys might afford a 500-600 euro phone every year but some people can't, me included.
Average salary in my country is 250 euro, they could pay me in half a phone a month

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-06-23 at 09:48.

"Why I am getting a Nokia N9 (are you?)"

Yes............. provided i can get an N9 on contract in the UK

The N9 product page does not list the UK as a target market, alongside quite a few other western european nations as well as the US.

A Nokian on Nokia Conversations has said that the N9 will still be available in those markets through third parties.

Can Hexus clarify matters?

Will the N9 be available on contract in the UK if the UK is not a target market?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
To the people worried about N9 not being sold in your country:

The availability list on the web is for the Nokia online shop. Nokia UK online shop (and others) closes June 30 (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ne-shop-966300) so that's why it's not listed there. It's not a list of all countries it will be released in.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2011-06-23 at 10:00.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
I will get the N9 because..

..I don't need thousands of apps, nice browser will do.
..to piss off elop.
..I like the UI
..to piss off elop.
..it looks gorgeous.
..to piss off elop.
..not a big fan of wp7
..to piss off elop.
..will be the last true nokia phone for some time, maybe forever

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I must admit that I am a sucker for high-tech gadgets and devices. I am also less than rich enough to satisfy my uncontrollable needs, so I narrow down my options to what I think is the best performing device according to my needs and of course it has to be good looking

Looks are very very important! There is a reason why professional devices are, well, ugly as opposed to consumer devices that define what industrial design is all about!

Ν9 is too damn hot to ignore, even if it lacks a few things that some people consider vital (IMO they are just playing hard to get)

If the deal is good money wise, I am definitely getting one of these babies!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
Yes I am fugkin getting one.

The n9 will be the last Nokia phone in history. It is a good device, a wonderful software and part of this community which I love and respect the most.
Last phone from Nokia.
I hope Elop get very ill and must leave the company.. maybe returning to littlesoft and have some horseback riding over there. Love N9. NEVER GONNA BUY A Wp7.
To propose BING to the nokia costumer it is so wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Endri For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
To the people worried about N9 not being sold in your country:

The availability list on the web is for the Nokia online shop. Nokia UK online shop (and others) closes June 30 (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ne-shop-966300) so that's why it's not listed there. It's not a list of all countries it will be released in.
i sincerely hope so.

thanks

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory