Notices

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Hello there,

first of all, all my apologies to gregc2009 for not having answered the question: I missed the fact that there was a new reply in this thread. I'll get a look at your problem as soon as possible.

The purpose of this post was to give you a just a quick update on the situation: GUI and core integration is now done. I'm now finalizing the packaging in order to push it to extras-devel this Monday.

There are still a few open issues, especially with the GUI (including some corner-cases I did not manage to think of, probably), but globally the functionality is there.

thank you for your patience!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Awesome man. Awesome.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spokane, WA
Thank you for working on it!! I appreciate your time and effort.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Hello there,

first of all, all my apologies to gregc2009 for not having answered the question: I missed the fact that there was a new reply in this thread. I'll get a look at your problem as soon as possible.

The purpose of this post was to give you a just a quick update on the situation: GUI and core integration is now done. I'm now finalizing the packaging in order to push it to extras-devel this Monday.

There are still a few open issues, especially with the GUI (including some corner-cases I did not manage to think of, probably), but globally the functionality is there.

thank you for your patience!
I'll give it a try when you release it and will start looking at localizing the gui to my language when you feel like adding localization support to it

Last edited by todor_tsankov; 2010-03-08 at 15:47.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
[Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth]
Good news, everyone!
[/Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth]

The very first release of Erminig-NG with its GUI is now on its way in the extras-devel repository. It should be available in a few moments. (force a refresh of the packages list in the application manager if it doesn't show up)

Usual and important note for everyone: Erminig-NG is still in developement, so bugs are presents. Always work with a copy of your calendars (both on Google and locally)! I can't be responsible for any lost data!
Furthermore, the presence of Erminig-NG in extras-devel should raise immediately a red flag concerning the stability of the software

Important note for those running the old version (text-only) of Erminig-NG: please remove the ~/.erminig.db file. The database format changed since then and is incompatible with this new version! Please also remove any file installed with the previous version, to avoid conflicts. This issue won't come up again, since I'm now packaging Erminig-NG properly.

What's new comparing to the previous version
: the GUI. And a few assorted bug-fixes in core functionalities.

What doesn't work
: syncing recurring events (next release, hopefully), syncing birthdays

Known bugs: I know that there are a few corner-cases in the GUI handling: please report them here, in case you catch one of those (by the way, the "Stop" button on the "progress-bar" window when syncing doesn't work yet. Just noticed a few minutes ago, when the build was already in the pipeline )
Warning: there are probably a few regressions compared to the text-only version of Erminig, due to a partial code refactoring, but I tried to catch all of them...

The GUI should be straight-forward enough to be usable without any documentation, but if you think that it's too complicated or that I should change something, feel free to post ideas and/or questions!
I have to admit that now I'm really too tired to write a proper documentation, but if you feel that I should address that, I will do it..

First synchronization will be slow, especially on huge datasets. Please be patient

Enjoy, and let's start the bug reports

PS: I did not open a new bugzilla component for Erminig yet. Will do it in the near future. In the meantime, feel free to post reports here!

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Thanks for the hard work.

Sync'd my main Google calendar and US Holidays. Only 2 issues, perhaps related.

On setting up a new sync, I selected Google account, clicked ouside it (to go back to previous screen). This generated a crash report, but let me continue. I finished setting up the sync, crashed exiting the setup screen. Restarted, sync was there, synced fine.

One quick question, what would the appropriate command be to sync all/some calendars from the command line with this version (for use with alarmed) for auto sync?

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Thanks heaps for this app - I'm really looking forward to getting it all set up on my phone.

I've installed the version from extras-devel, but can't add a new account to it. When I hit the + button, I get as far as clicking "Google Account", then get a popup with the heading "Google Account" but no controls. Clicking outside this popup gives me a "programming error" bug, with these contents:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/erminig/profile_ui.py", line 360, account_selector_changed(selector=<hildon.TouchSelector object at 0x40af5ad0 (HildonTouchSelector at 0x4c2ce0)>, user_data=0)
      current_google_account_selected = account_id
      update_remote_data_source(consts.SYNC_TYPE_CAL, account_id)
  variables: {'update_remote_data_source': ('global', <function update_remote_data_source at 0x40976af0>), 'account_id': ('local', None), 'consts.SYNC_TYPE_CAL': ('global', <module 'consts' from '/usr/share/erminig/consts.py'>)}
  File "/usr/share/erminig/profile_ui.py", line 258, update_remote_data_source(sync_type=0, google_acct_id=0)
            google_accounts.get_account_by_id(\
            google_acct_id)):
          display_google_auth_error(dialog)
  variables: {'google_acct_id': ('local', None)}
  File "/usr/share/erminig/google_accounts.py", line 64, get_account_by_id(id=0)
          "WHERE id = ?", (id,))
      row = dblayer.getRows(cur)[0]
      return (row['username'], row['password'], id)
  variables: {'dblayer.getRows': ('global', <function getRows at 0x406f6bb0>), 'cur': ('local', <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0x406fb4d0>), 'row': (None, None)}
IndexError: list index out of range
Any ideas?

Edit:
Just realized I need to setup the google accounts in preferences first. Maybe hitting the Google Account button should bring up the preferences window if there's no accounts entered?

Last edited by zombiepig; 2010-03-09 at 04:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post:
Oops - another bug I just found. Hitting any of the "edit", "undo?" ( i think that's what that button is), or delete buttons when there's no calender syncs setup causes an error too. Not a big deal though!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Singapore
very nice now only recurring events are missing and its perfect!

some things to improve:

- when there is no profile configuret yet the buttons for edit and sync should be deactivated to prevent ugly exceptions.

- after creating new local calendar another calendar gets selected for sync and you have to choose manually that you want to sync with the newly created calendar

- an option would be nice to crate a new local calendar with the same name of the google calendar

The Following User Says Thank You to Phadric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Thanks Lorelai! Even in the current alpha/beta state this application is highly usable. I started with two fresh calendars on the N900 and my two current Gmail calendars. There was no problems with the first calendar but when adding the second there was an error causing the program to crash. I unfortunately did not save the log (by mistake) and restarted the program upon which I noticed that despite the crash all the settings had been saved and sync occurred with no error. Initial sync did take a minute as you had advised. I then tested adding an event on the device and adding a new one on google calendar and there seemed to be no problem with the two way sync.

I will continue to test and report back but this is the functionality I was waiting for to make my N900 really usable and if I could triple thank you I would!

edit : BTW you should really update the original post to let people know that the app has reached one-click install status and is ready for widespread testing. The ability to sync multiple calendars with google is a game changing feature for the built in calendar app.

Last edited by mobiledivide; 2010-03-09 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:

Tags
erminig, erminig-ng, ernie nig, google calendar, google sync, synchronization