Active Topics

Coding in python requires consistent indenting and tab can help with that.

Ctril+i seems more compatible to me with typing than fingering the bar in xterm does.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
I have remapped:
fn+left->escape
fn+right->tab
fn+c->pipe
fn+z->tilde

by modifying
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_something/rx-51

I can't figure out how to access the 4th column in the mappings though. (I posted this elsewhere, but no one knew).

the first is the vanilla key, second is shift, third is fn. WHAT IS THE FOURTH!?!?! I've tried Ctrl, fn+Ctrl, fn+shift, etc.

Someone please help! That would allow me to remap tons of symbol characters so I could actually program ({,},[,],<,>,etc).

I think the french keyboard is one of those that is different between the third and fourth columns. Does anyone have one of those? One quick question and you'll help us all out!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Right. But you are on a handheld device with a touchscreen. The same finger press to do a tab key would be similar for tabbing through fields.

I agree that tab needs to be a function, just trying to see where within the mobile paradigm that this device/platform is supporting.
Tabbing is much faster than typing, reaching up and pressing the new area, typing again, reaching up and pressing the new area, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Also, tab-completion on the shell

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
twoboxen:

You claimed before in this thread that you have modified that file, yet it doesn't work for me. I had to use a non-persistent method (which I detailed in the other thread).

So just a note to others: your mileage may vary.

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-03 at 20:55. Reason: typo: trusted the spellchecker.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Right. But you are on a handheld device with a touchscreen. The same finger press to do a tab key would be similar for tabbing through fields.

I agree that tab needs to be a function, just trying to see where within the mobile paradigm that this device/platform is supporting.
It is more a question of ease rather than straight 'finger press'. For my use, I've grown accustomed to not having it, but it took time.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
How about aligning emails, or any other text come to that, without relying on font widths being similar at the other end?
Had a thought, then realized that I write too much HTML/CSS these days

Originally Posted by fnordianslip
Coding in python requires consistent indenting and tab can help with that.

Ctril+i seems more compatible to me with typing than fingering the bar in xterm does.
Ah...

Originally Posted by twoboxen
I have remapped:
fn+left->escape
fn+right->tab
fn+c->pipe
fn+z->tilde

by modifying
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_something/rx-51
...sounds like something that could eventually be turned into a preference panel. Very cool find.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Tabbing is much faster than typing, reaching up and pressing the new area, typing again, reaching up and pressing the new area, etc.
Speaking only from my experience with the N97, as with the N900 that I played with I kept the keyboard closed for most of the interactions: that's sometimes the case. But its signifiant enough that I just wasn't clear. Thanks for pointing out this user-flow, its something I need to try to see better.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
You can tab through fields on web pages by using control-downarrow and control-uparrow.

Regards,
Roger
this does not work for me. Rather ctrl-left and ctrl-right do.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post: