is it possible to install maemo on an android phone?
I remember the main problem of installing linux on phones was driver support. the Linux kernel is a monolithic kernel so the drivers are built into the kernel itself. Although android uses a forked kernel, I have installed other kernels in debian rather easily.
So, couldn't I install Maemo with the Android kernel onto, say, my motorola droid? Or is there something else preventing this process?

Short answer: Nope. There are parts of the maemo OS that are closed from what I remember.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Here is MeeGo 1.1 running on a Nexus One:

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/03/ga...-instructions/

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Why would you smear a diamond with dog faeces

The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
Why would you smear a diamond with dog faeces
Right! Wipe that Nexus One off the MeeGo so it can shine!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Well I'm pretty sure if the N900 community was able to polish up Maemo5 (user interface etc etc) and Nokia agreed to open-source those closed sectors (mostly drivers, camera stack etc) ... then there may have been some interest.

It would've been sick if things played out like that and we saw (for instance) a polished Maemo5 on the EPIC 4G/Milestone2 or any other cool phone!

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Short answer: Nope. There are parts of the maemo OS that are closed from what I remember.
It's only the drivers(for n900) that are closed. So, if OP will be able to write his own drivers for droid, it should work.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
The Android should have its own drivers and the closed ones for the N900 wont work anyway since the Hardware is different.
Or am i mixing up something?

Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
The Android should have its own drivers and the closed ones for the N900 wont work anyway since the Hardware is different.
Or am i mixing up something?
Drivers for Android are also closed-source(probably). So, it doesn't really help. Even if we had source-code, I don't think we would be able to just compile them for maemo.

Well some Android device drivers are open source. I believe Samsung is open sourcing their drivers for their Galaxy line. But even then I don't think it's fully open drivers. Not sure about that though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...