Expansys just established a baseline pricepoint for the N800 of $156.

Anyone paying more than this is paying to much.

Some profitteer, probably someone from this forum, bought 14 all at once and will probably be trying to sell them here for a profit.

He won't be getting my business unless its at or below the new baseline pricepoint of $156.

Whoever he is he will not make a dime on me and hopefully anyone else here.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonybuchanan For This Useful Post:
Quite frankly, I find the implication that a "profiteer" is a bad thing to be more than a little irritating. But dropping implications and examining the substance of what you said, I'm left with a couple questions:

One: Why are you now "paying too much" if one dealer had a closeout sale at that price and nobody else does?

Two: I can see why you don't want to pay that much to someone; you don't think it's worth that much because (you think) you can find it cheaper elsewhere now. But why do you care if anyone else buys them at that price, or if he makes a profit? I don't see that it hurts you one way, or helps you the other. So why worry about it?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
1. closeout sales = new price point to me.
All other sellers, especially those selling for higher, will be reminded by buyers that it once sold new for $156 and will be asked why are you still selling for so high. If the buyer stick to their guns then seller will feel pressure to lower.

2. I hate that I went to buy one an some guy, likely a profiteer, had already bought them all. Lock, stock, barrel. All gone. Now he will just sit on them to try to make a buck on someone like me that want an N800 however I wont budge over the new baseline of $156.

Benson, why is it hard to understand that to buyers, profiteers are bad people.

This person is no diff from oil companies running up profits.

Benson, I am sorry if I sound crude.

Just temporarily angry.

I respect you and everyone here.

I understand that, as you think you will be able to get them elsewhere at that price, you won't go over.
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Two: I can see why you don't want to pay that much to someone; you don't think it's worth that much because (you think) you can find it cheaper elsewhere now. But why do you care if anyone else buys them at that price, or if he makes a profit? I don't see that it hurts you one way, or helps you the other. So why worry about it?
You didn't answer the emphasised query directly, so I'm left to infer:
So you seek to punish him because he was faster than you? By persuading everyone else not to buy from him, even if they feel it's worth whatever he's asking?

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Benson, why is it hard to understand that to buyers, profiteers are bad people.
It's not hard to understand, it's just plain wrong. He's not trying to procure money at your expense; that's termed plunder, not profit, and would qualify him as a bad person.

If you don't think the deal a profiteer is offering (he gives you an N800, you give him $160) leaves you coming out ahead of where you were, then don't do it. I suppose you would, on the other hand, offer him another deal (perhaps you give him $120, he gives you an N800) in which he doesn't think he comes out ahead of where he was.

Classifying him as a bad person for offering the first deal is precisely equivalent to his calling you a bad person for offering the second deal.

This person is no diff from oil companies running up profits.
Precisely.

Why's that so hard to understand? or doesn't your car run on gas?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Expansys just established a baseline pricepoint for the N800 of $156.

Anyone paying more than this is paying to much.

Some profitteer, probably someone from this forum, bought 14 all at once and will probably be trying to sell them here for a profit.

He won't be getting my business unless its at or below the new baseline pricepoint of $156.

Whoever he is he will not make a dime on me and hopefully anyone else here.

Supply and demand establishes the price point. I believe Expansys also indicated that additional savings could be had for a volume purchase.

Using your logic then the baseline should be the per unit cost of what Expansys eventually sold the lot for???

The reality is that if there is a demand for a unit and this dude has the supply, the new price-point is what he determines it to be and not you.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Anthony, Benson and YoDude are correct on all most counts.

Profit in and of itself is not bad. Price-gouging on necessities is.

Supply and demand, not a single closeout price, drive a spectrum of price points. It would be correct to say that Expansys just set the bar for low price on the N800, but that's it.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-16 at 02:32.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Precisely.

Why's that so hard to understand? or doesn't your car run on gas?
Actually I will take issue with the defense of oil companies.

Gas is a necessity in many regions, and oil companies have a known history of collusion and other unsavory tactics used to take advantage of consumers. There are laws in the US against this, but every time Congress has got all fired up to act the price eases a bit and they all quiet down.

And now it's even worse: commodities speculators have been shown to artificially drive up the price of crude oil in trading activities that had oversight removed several years ago. Some in Congress are now demanding the oversight be restored, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

Crude would be under $100 per barrel if not for the speculation.

/rant

EDIT: petroleum is not part of a supply-and-demand economy anyway. It's part of a scarcity economy.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-16 at 02:37.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the feedback.

My price for buying a new N800 will be less than 160 though.