Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
I'm traveling to Europe for 6 months and want a phone, a smart phone of course that can do it all. I'll mostly be in Spain, France, Turkey. So this is where the phones need to work. Can someone point me in the right direction for such things?

I assume my N9 is enough, but I am always open to a change if it will enhance my traveling experience.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I would go for the nokia 808 pv, it might not be what most people call a smartphone, but it cover most tasks and would give you very good pics from your travel. Ohh and it even has a fm transmitter.

Anyway have a nice vacation.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
I would go for the nokia 808 pv, it might not be what most people call a smartphone, but it cover most tasks and would give you very good pics from your travel. Ohh and it even has a fm transmitter.

Anyway have a nice vacation.

Regards Dousan...
Lol, vacation I wish, work trip is more like it

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I assume my N9 is enough, but I am always open to a change if it will enhance my traveling experience.
your N9 will be definitely enough, you have everything you need, gsm , 3g and a good navigation system. Enjoy your trip and have a nice time.

Enhance your travelling experiance? Then ditch all that crap. You do not need a smart phone. All it does is help you isolate isolate yourself from the world around you.

See the world, converse with the natives and eat their wierd food. Don't get bogged down lolling memetweets to your facewall on bebosquare, you can do that at home for free.

Anything you NEED you will find where ever you are at.

This post above mine ^^^ deserves a thanks.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Enhance your travelling experiance? Then ditch all that crap. You do not need a smart phone. All it does is help you isolate isolate yourself from the world around you..
This is not so true. I've traveled a lot, and my smartphone helped me enjoying the world around me. Of course, checking emails or facebook daily doesn't improve the trip at all. But when you are in a town, you see a place that would be nice to go in the evening, then just mark this place on your GPS and you won't lose 2 hours in the evening trying to find that back.
Sometimes, being able to reserve a bus/car/train/plane via wifi in the hotel can save the day.

These details happen not very often, but they do. And when you just need a little map, a translation, or your mail with the reservation number, it can really help you enjoy the trip.

I would say: any smartphone with offline map will do the job. Your N9 is a perfect candidate

Enjoy your trip !

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
check if you can install evopedia too (or any other offline wikipedia solution)

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
You'll be absolutely fine with the N9 I'm traveling around regularly and never missed anything with my N9. The only problem on such trips are the high roaming costs, so you should try to avoid them. Solutions are like downloading maps of countries you visit in advance, save some webpages offline (e.g with Opera Browser) or, like recommended by erendorn, download a wikipedia offline solution.

There are also a lot of (often free in restaurants and sometimes public transportation) Wi-Fi hotspots around where you could check emails, Facebook or whatever you need. Of course it depends on country and location... but for example McDonalds is often very good for free Wi-Fi access

Sometimes it's worth looking into a pre-paid sim card or mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, there are good offers around (IMO Vodaphone often has good deals). But again, it depends on what you need and where you are.

Mostly I like what vi_ wrote. I'm pretty often in the US (where I don't buy an extra SIM card) and what I enjoy a lot that I can't have access to the internet everywhere - you will soon realize how relaxing that is

Have a good journey!

EDIT: If you turn off internet connection in a foreign country, make sure you also turn off certain services. Use maps in offline mode (can be changed in maps settings), turn off messaging accounts (Wazapp) and automatic sync services. Since PR 1.2 it got much better, but before, the phone was constantly asking to reconnect to the internet especially when using 3rd party software which have background services needing an internet connection.

Last edited by almamo; 2012-06-05 at 10:27.

The N9 will do fine except for one thing. You will drain the battery in 3-4 hours if you use maps constantly. Get a portable external battery