Would you imagine some use for UPnP?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Colorado Springs
New Hidden Feature:

AM RADIO to go with the FM.

Oh Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Shortwave ftw!

Actually, an update to the radio chip used in the N800 would be a sweet easter egg. There's an updated model of that chip that has RDS support, which which you'd be able to get traffic updates, radio station identification and song metadata, etc.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Actually, an update to the radio chip used in the N800 would be a sweet easter egg. There's an updated model of that chip that has RDS support, which which you'd be able to get traffic updates, radio station identification and song metadata, etc.
AFAIK, the RDS data is just some subsonic frequencies in the audible frequency band. If the N800 (N810?) hardware does not filter these out before entering to A/D, it should be possible to do the decoding of RDS information in software...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Most likely the Bandwidth won't be high enough to show any HDTV quality moving picture, but for almost static powerpoint slides this should be perfect.
you are quite correct. Up till 1 months ago, there is NOTHING on the market for a WiFi movie projector, less HDTV. I do not see any news in the last 30 days.........

bun

AFAIK, the RDS data is just some subsonic frequencies in the audible frequency band. If the N800 (N810?) hardware does not filter these out before entering to A/D, it should be possible to do the decoding of RDS information in software...
But is this (frequency of) data available once the radio chip has processed the raw signal and is outputting it for people to listen to/code to manipulate. After a quick browse, I see software applications to produce an RDS stream, but only hardware solutions to decode it. Perhaps the problem is more down to the signal processing involved. It might work though. DSP project anyone....?

I really like the FM radio in the N800. But I would like it even more, and used it every day, if it had a simple built-in alarm clock that could switch it on in the morning. Just like the old LCD clock radio I used to own - the N800 even looks like it! AFAIK the source code of the FM radio applet isn't available (to which one could add such a feature), if someone knows differently please tell..

Speaking of FM Radio Thoughtfix wrote
Is there an FM Tuner?
No. It was cut out for space concerns.

Which reminds me.. the comparision table (at the bottom) of http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat...emo/index.html is incomplete, it doesn't list the FM tuner. Transflective screen isn't there either. Anyone from Nokia here that could fix it? It's otherwise a very nice comparision table..