Notices

To those lucky few that have a 770, what is your opinion of the included PDF Reader? How quickly does it render simple/complex documents and is there a significant delay when navigating from page to page? Does it have trouble with large files? Is there a full screen mode where all elements of the user interface are removed?
I am eager to find out how usable the 770 is as an ebook reader.

Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
It's ok for text only stuff. e.g. scientific papers are (more) enjoyable to read on that than on normal computer screen, but newspapers are not that much fun. OTOH you can turn all images off, after which newspapers are readable as well, but you loos the photos. If you include the photos, 770 probably crashes if you open newsweek or any picture rich pdf. It definately needs speed improvements. e.g. rendering to 8-bit gray canvas might help to reduce the memory load and improve embedded image load times.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
One of the main reasons I bought the device is for reading ebooks. I'm very happy with it.

True, the PDF view is a bit slow. Jumping to the next page can take a few seconds. Even for small documents. But you get used to it though. Also it gives you some time to take your eyes off the device and relax.

Large documents can be troublesome, but there are workarounds. For example, I use pdftk to split files into parts if they're too large to open.

Confused. Installation of FBReader went OK, I see introductory text nicely but when doing "Add file to Library" FBReader opens 770's program directories, which are not normally (File Manager) displayed, and I cannot move "up" to data directories of "internal" memory!!

My eBooks are on Memory card named MMC512MB and in /eBooks-directory. Trying to feed in that directory into "General-Book Path" field has no effect to "Add file to Library"-dilemma!

Naturally I'm doing something stupid but what?

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I temporarily don't have access to my 770. If no one responds by end of day, I'll be able to let you know then. Can't be too hard -- I did it. But perhaps you should try moving one of the files to the Documents folder in File Manager and see if you can add that book to the library.

---
BTW, this is a PDF thread, not FBReader thread. With Reggie's assistance, we'll get these posts moved to a better location soon.

Your mmc files are in directory /media/mmc1.

Originally Posted by Titus
Your mmc files are in directory /media/mmc1.
Oh, sorry about mixing PDF/FBRreaders! Been really confused.
Found the eBooks now! I didn't know the "trick", 770's directories were/are unknown to me.
Thanks anyway.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi Nickmar,

to my opinion the integrated PDF-Reader is horrible.
It almost unusable for larger documents with pictures, e.g product brochures and stuff like that.

I just recieved my 770 at Christmas and really would have liked to use it ast PDF-Reader, but due to the performance it offers till now, it's almost unusable to me.

I really hope that Nokia / who ever will provide a better and faster reader that supports PDFs as soon as possible!

Greetings

Chris

I don't care for the included pdf reader....I always have to scroll sideways to read & where are the bookmarks? Plus a few of my books are scanned images so I can't turn off images or no ebook...but then it gets very sluggish
I like that FBReader because it lets you do portrait mode but unfortunately, doesn't read pdf files
The new chm reader though,,,is fantastic in my opinion and seems to display chm books exactly as they look on my winxp machine.
But if you just want to read pdf files then the included viewer is useable....and I'm also told that gmail lets you open/read pdf's, so u could just email yourself a pdf & read it on there (browser I guess) but I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure.
I originally bought mine for reading ebooks too but love web browsing on this too among other things....

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Ahhh, if only someone could put together a combined pdf, FBReader, CHM, .cbr/.cbz reader, then it would be truly paradise...

Any takers?

Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveC For This Useful Post: