Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for anything. A yes or no from the developer will be sufficient. It is a simple question.
already answered ==>
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=13

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
already answered
Not a very good answer to the question in that case Anyway, looking through my files, I see a new qt directory in /opt. This is qt 4.6.1 as opposed to the qt 4.5 already in the /usr directory.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Not a very good answer to the question in that case Anyway, looking through my files, I see a new qt directory in /opt. This is qt 4.6.1 as opposed to the qt 4.5 already in the /usr directory.
Well, the widget uses Qt 4.6 and those libs install to /opt

Qt 4.5 in /usr is currently the default version of Qt and it's going to be replaced by 4.6 some time in the future.

For those complaining about the size. The widget itself is small but if you haven't installed any apps that depend on Qt 4.6, those libs are installed also. If you look at the package details in the application manager you will see that packages that are going to be installed. The libraries are only installed once so next time you install some Qt application it doesn't appear as big.

Regarding the "black screen" -issue. The blank application screen appear because the widget isn't a shared object like the other widgets are (and are supposed to be). Because the widget is a normal application binary it's started as one (just close the application window and it works). In order to fix this the widget needs to be compiled differently and it has to have some interfaces implemented in it that don't exist in the current version. This obviously needs to be studied how it's done with Qt and so on.

The widget is still a work in progress and that why it's in extras-devel and further more there's a reason why normal users should stay away from extras-devel.

Anyway nice work krk969

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
guys, I think the huge size is due to the dependencies, the library this app is using qtsysteminfo is based on the new QT Mobility API Technology Preview 2, it depends on a lot of other qt libraries like libqt4-maemo5-core, libqt4-maemo5-dbus etc.
Im sure you would have seen this getting installed.

You will be needing all this in your N900 sooner or later to be able to have QT applications so I dont see it as an issue. Feel free to correct me QT gurus.

The app as such is only 16K. the memory footprint is negligible too.

hope ive answered the questions around the 8MB download.
can clarify more if needed, PM me.

cheers
Well to be honest this still seems smaller than the Python payload that a lot of people use without any issues.

i think there are now a few more widgets that appear as applications, egg timer, FM RDS Notify widget and so on.
They all have the same behavior, so i guess a wiki page needs to be clear what exactly must be done to create/compile a widget...

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Well, the widget uses Qt 4.6 and those libs install to /opt

Qt 4.5 in /usr is currently the default version of Qt and it's going to be replaced by 4.6 some time in the future.

For those complaining about the size. The widget itself is small but if you haven't installed any apps that depend on Qt 4.6, those libs are installed also. If you look at the package details in the application manager you will see that packages that are going to be installed. The libraries are only installed once so next time you install some Qt application it doesn't appear as big.

Regarding the "black screen" -issue. The blank application screen appear because the widget isn't a shared object like the other widgets are (and are supposed to be). Because the widget is a normal application binary it's started as one (just close the application window and it works). In order to fix this the widget needs to be compiled differently and it has to have some interfaces implemented in it that don't exist in the current version. This obviously needs to be studied how it's done with Qt and so on.

The widget is still a work in progress and that why it's in extras-devel and further more there's a reason why normal users should stay away from extras-devel.

Anyway nice work krk969
I presume most desktop widgets out there that appear in the desktop add widget menu are gtk based.
so one way is to figure out how its done in gtk and make a dummy gtk to call my code ( compiled as a lib )

I havent found a way yet to make a QT widget appear in the desktop widget menu.
will most certainly work on it as I think its something we all cannot do without
if anybody has any info please share.

for those that didnt know you can get the source of my code using
apt-get source batlevel

Last edited by krk969; 2010-01-06 at 23:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bandung, Indonesia
guys, I think the huge size is due to the dependencies, the library this app is using qtsysteminfo is based on the new QT Mobility API Technology Preview 2, it depends on a lot of other qt libraries like libqt4-maemo5-core, libqt4-maemo5-dbus etc.
Congrats krk969 for getting your Maemo + Qt Mobility widget done!

Some questions for you krk969:
  1. Will the second installed Qt widget use another 8 MB, or just marginal memory usage? (since Qt library is already loaded)
  2. A bunch of OOT questions: What's your personal opinion regarding Maemo vs Symbian? Should Nokia kill Symbian and boost Maemo, or the other way around? Is Maemo in the same ground as iPhone, Android, WebOS... or is it superior/inferior? (I'm definitely expecting subjective answers here)

Originally Posted by ceefour View Post
Congrats krk969 for getting your Maemo + Qt Mobility widget done!

Some questions for you krk969:
  1. Will the second installed Qt widget use another 8 MB, or just marginal memory usage? (since Qt library is already loaded)
  2. A bunch of OOT questions: What's your personal opinion regarding Maemo vs Symbian? Should Nokia kill Symbian and boost Maemo, or the other way around? Is Maemo in the same ground as iPhone, Android, WebOS... or is it superior/inferior? (I'm definitely expecting subjective answers here)
Once the dependent QT libs are installed , any other app that might need them wont be carrying this payload, so you can expect the next app to be much smalller if it doesnt have any dependencies other than the ones installed.
normal unix/linux stuff nothing different for maemo.

about my opinion on your OOT questions I have PM'ed you , else it will hijack the thread

Last edited by krk969; 2009-12-30 at 12:27.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
Originally Posted by Techtertainment View Post
good job..
quick question. how did you get started setting up and using QT and would it be possible to look at the souce code (hopefully with detailed comments) as a little training for me?
i think if you install Qt SDK, you could found so many example with source code. as this thread http://qt.nokia.com/developer/gettin...d#qt-tutorials, you could get start for learn QT.

from http://qt.gitorious.org/, you could see all of source code for QT.

please enjoy QT!!!

about my opinion on your OOT questions I have PM'ed you , else it will hijack the thread
I think this would be interresting for lots of people. Could you perhaps make a new thread about that?