Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Tex, I don't believe that that is your writing, plagiarism is bad buddy.

Post the link (with instructions to access if necessary) to your internal blog for verification.

( )

---

Very well written buddy, Spot on. The only thing I'm a bit wary about is the bump in CPU speed on the N800. Sure I like it, my device will be faster and everything will run smoother etc... BUT. What about battery life? The 810 has its battery bumped up by 300mA if I recall. A 70MHz jump on a mobile device will need a LOT of optimization to keep the battery usage rate at the same level. (IMhO)

Otherwise the 810 seems right about where it should be, Some features will please some, others will disappoint. Personally I was looking forward to grabbing one, but the price (479? really? I got my n800 at 350 as an early adopter) and the card slots.... yeah. I have 2 8GB SDHC cards, I could split them with n800/810 but now I have to buy new cards? :-/

The Hardware keyboard surprised me, I heard something about it but assumed it was just rumors and false. I won't criticize it because I have yet to use it in real person, and as much as I feel a bit perplexed at the inclusion of a keyboard, I'll wait to try it before I give it an honest opinion.

Oh that reminds me. what ever happened to the 3d chip included with the N800? I heard that there was a 3d Accel chip that was never used, no drivers for it... and we were waiting on Nokia to activate it and do something wonderful with it. I know I'm probably not gonna get a satisfactory answer (NDAs.... ) but I'm just throwing that out there, food for thought.

Overall great preview Tex, I wish I could read your blog. I would gladly add to your constant readership

Also, what a coincidence, note that I have only briefly seen the physical product so I'm unable to go very deep in analysis anyway (maybe later if/when I obtain one).

(that seems to be the magical sentence [credit goes to texrat for above paragraph])

--Jon

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post
(other than the 770 not really being able to deliver on the device's promise).
well, I still have to find a failed promise to my 770. (paid 150$ new)

the OS2006 it was sold with is rock solid when not upgraded. I never rebooted on me until I started adding 3rd party softw to it.

In fact, based on my own specific usage, I still can't see a good reason to upgrade the 150$ n770 to the 235$ n800 or the 450$ n810 (the gps is cool, the keyboard is a nice to have that I can live without)

BUT rs-mmc is not a good feature on the 770 and I hope the n810 will use the regular SD cards.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jzencovich View Post
The only thing I'm a bit wary about is the bump in CPU speed on the N800. Sure I like it, my device will be faster and everything will run smoother etc... BUT. What about battery life? The 810 has its battery bumped up by 300mA if I recall. A 70MHz jump on a mobile device will need a LOT of optimization to keep the battery usage rate at the same level. (IMhO)

Oh that reminds me. what ever happened to the 3d chip included with the N800? I heard that there was a 3d Accel chip that was never used, no drivers for it... and we were waiting on Nokia to activate it and do something wonderful with it. I know I'm probably not gonna get a satisfactory answer (NDAs.... ) but I'm just throwing that out there, food for thought.

--Jon
Good luck accessing the url Jon, but here ya go: http://blogs.nokia.com/blogs/thelong...11_on_the.html

As for the speed increase, what I've read says that it will occur in only certain circumstances and the reason it was withheld until now was to address the power consumption questions. Supposedly there have been corresponding efficiencies that even things out. I have definitely noticed a bit of perkiness and yet no decrease in battery life.

As for acceleration, I've also read that it's utilized BUT I cannot confirm...yet.

Originally Posted by smog View Post
well, I still have to find a failed promise to my 770. (paid 150$ new)
More power to ya man. To be fair, I haven't touched a 770 since release. Back then, the system just wasn't there for video/flash/browsing. it promised a real mobile internet experience but it didn't really deliver one. I understand those things got better over time, but I think the rocky start plus the big performance jump with the 800 was a sore spot with people who picked up the 770 early.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Good luck accessing the url Jon, but here ya go: http://blogs.nokia.com/blogs/thelong...11_on_the.html
Thanks... It worked!

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Thanks... It worked!
Yeah, and I expect YOU to leave a comment so I can add you to the list of Nokians I pester.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Thanks for the link Tex, Now I have to change my ip address...

Ok what you say about the clock makes sense. So the tablet will run say at 300 MHz... and when you open up a video it will crank up all they way to 400MHz...then when you shut the vid it will drop down to 350 as you browse the net.... Something like that?

3D accel... mmmmm

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Yeah, and I expect YOU to leave a comment so I can add you to the list of Nokians I pester.
Go check out your blog...

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
After months of public speculation the N810 Internet Tablet is now officially acknowledged.
A snippet from the Reuters article linked to above says:
Originally Posted by Reuters Article
The device will first be available in North America, 15 European markets and in limited parts of Asia, officials said. The average price of the phone in Europe will be around 450 euros.
I guess some technology writers still haven't grasped that it's not a phone .

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Go check out your blog...
Yeah, and I see you left a GENERIC signature.