The biggest problem with Mini-SD is that its soon to be abandoned. MicroSD has already exceeded the amount of size available for miniSD (microSD has 8GB cards, mini has 4GB), so I don't see why anyone would ever bother with the stopgap miniSD solution, besides the fact that larger microSD cards have been announced, but nobody seems to be working on larger miniSD ones. There should be only two types of flash memory (well, maybe I'd even say three if you want to keep compactflash around): SD for larger devices and microSD for smaller ones. Anything else is just excess at this point.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Has anybody thought of these 10Gb in conjunction with the improved connectivity of Chinook, bringing Samba and letting you access transparently the sharable folders in your laptop or local network?
unless you're using nfs , in which case you have to either recompile the kernel with (just) one additional option checked, or wait for fanoush do do it for you.

Can one use both a Bluetooth keyboard *and* GPS at the same time? Plus, now that OS2008 supports Bluetooth ADP, people would want to pair their Bluetooth headset as well.

As for mini-SD becoming obsolete, it does not matter as you can hook a micro-SD card with a micro-to-mini adapter, no?

Originally Posted by hircus View Post
Can one use both a Bluetooth keyboard *and* GPS at the same time? Plus, now that OS2008 supports Bluetooth ADP, people would want to pair their Bluetooth headset as well.

As for mini-SD becoming obsolete, it does not matter as you can hook a micro-SD card with a micro-to-mini adapter, no?
Yeah, but how many times so far have you heard it mentioned that something disappeared because there wasn't enough space for it (ie the FM tuner that's gone, or there's now only one slot as opposed to two.) If there's that much of a concern for space, why not go with the smaller card that actually has a future anyway instead of already being obsolete?

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
If there's that much of a concern for space, why not go with the smaller card that actually has a future anyway instead of already being obsolete?
That's a good point. I believe the official reason for going mini-SD (and also using the micro-USB port) is to hsare common components with other Nokia devices. Was quite sad to see the FM receiver go, though.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The emerging standard for ultra-portables (cellphones, tablets.... cellphones) is mini-SD and micro-USB. Nokias choice to adhere to this standard can only mean that the N810 will be more compatible with future devices. Hopefully these communication standards have matured and will remain the stable for a long time.

I suppose with proper thought out standards, we wouldn't have three size variants of USB that do the same thing, and at least three version variants. Not very 'universal', but to be expected in a time of rapid technological growth.

Tonight we sail!

}:^)~
YARR!!

Mr. C.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2007-10-22 at 01:31.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The emerging standard for ultra-portables (cellphones, tablets.... cellphones) is mini-SD and micro-USB. Nokias choice to adhere to this standard can only mean that the N810 will be more compatible with future devices. Hopefully these communication standards have matured and will remain the stable for a long time.

I suppose with proper thought out standards, we wouldn't have three size variants of USB that do the same thing, and at least three version variants. Not very 'universal', but to be expected in a time of rapid technological growth.

Tonight we sail!

}:^)~
YARR!!

Mr. C.
Maybe other Nokia phones have miniSD, but anyone I know who has a phone that accepts a memory card has a microSD slot. I've got friends with the Upstage, the Sidekick, Blackberries, and even the Centro now has microSD, (though my Treo 755p has miniSD, I refuse to buy a miniSD card and end up getting stuck, like I did with the 16 gigs worth of SD cards I have in various sizes.)

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The emerging standard for ultra-portables (cellphones, tablets.... cellphones) is mini-SD and micro-USB. Nokias choice to adhere to this standard can only mean that the N810 will be more compatible with future devices
Er.. SD is 100% compatible with mini- and micro SD (and several other types of cards as well), the N810 can't get _more_ compatible by going mini-SD. Now, SD cards from a tablet wouldn't fit in a phone with mini- or micro-SD, but then again a tablet is a type of device where you typically insert cards from other devices (to copy phone/camera data to and from, for example), not the other way around. I agree with the poster that suggested that when abandoning SD one could as well go all the way to micro-SD. Hey, maybe they would've been small enough to let it keep having two slots..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by hircus View Post
That's a good point. I believe the official reason for going mini-SD (and also using the micro-USB port) is to hsare common components with other Nokia devices. Was quite sad to see the FM receiver go, though.
There are Nokia phones using MicroSD, though, such as the N75 I'm using.

And is no one really picking up on Quim's comment about shared folders?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And is no one really picking up on Quim's comment about shared folders?
I noticed that, but want to be pleasantly surprised with the details .. it does make sense, especially if the media player is really much better at handling "normal" (i.e. not specially encoded) videos.

Though that also mean.. I want an easy-to-install Ogg Vorbis plugin! (mogg does not seem to do the trick, even after a restart, on OS2007)

Quim Gil did not mention printing, though? Hmm.