Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey.

For all the blockheads (like me ) out there, still using the python server.
I had bad battery life the last weeks/months, and did not know why. Today I checked with powertop, that my device almost never got into the C4 (deeper sleep) state. Some python process always kicked in waking up the CPU. So I terminated one python after the other and found, that the speak_02.py was the bad guy.
I have it auto-started with event.d, as I've seen no CPU usage, when idle, but never expected such side effects.
As I wanted to keep it auto-started, I checked the sources (do not know anything about python), and "ugly-hack fixed" that.
Now my device again sleeps deeper. And hopefully lasts longer (as it looks like today).
I attach my version of speak_03.py. This one is set to german voice files and german espeak as default. Just use diff to find my small changes.

Sorry blaizzen, for being old-fashioned, but I still have my N97, which I use for real navigation. So there is atm no need for me to update to Your latest version.

--edit
Okay, there was a little mess with the timing in first approach (no coding, just messed with ms and s ).
Now in this version, we will wait/sleep 0.1s within the first minute ( so no delay). Then we will wait for 1s within the first 5min (small delay), 2s within the first 10min, 5s within first 30min, 10s within first hour. After that we wait/sleep 30s. So, if You start up Maps after long runtime it may take a while (at longest 30s), or if You are on a long trip with long motorway straight-ahead, You may have some delay. But You are free to make Your own limits...

I also added the speak_02 again here to make it easier for You. (I used/renamed the speak_03.py (and also edited the index.html) just to match my native language set, german).
This file (0/2[/b]) now has my changes and is set again with the standards to english and english voice files.
Attached Files
File Type: txt speak_03.py.txt (4.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: txt speak_02.py.txt (4.2 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2011-08-10 at 21:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
(Just a heads up, there is new maps in ovi suite)

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
If you try the latest index.html and the icons folder you'll find that when navigating the POI button is blank because it hasn't loaded the icon. You need to either rename the icon from showCategories.png to ShowCategories.png when you copy it to /html/pfw/images/spices/poiCategories or edit index.html and edit the two occurrences of ShowCategories.png and change them to showCategories.png.

Also there is a typo in the POI listing, it reads 'Shopss' (Map Settings>More>POI Settings). You can just search for that string in index.html and change it to 'Shops'.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey.

For all the blockheads (like me ) out there, still using the python server.
I had bad battery life the last weeks/months, and did not know why. Today I checked with powertop, that my device almost never got into the C4 (deeper sleep) state. Some python process always kicked in waking up the CPU. So I terminated one python after the other and found, that the speak_02.py was the bad guy.
I have it auto-started with event.d, as I've seen no CPU usage, when idle, but never expected such side effects.
As I wanted to keep it auto-started, I checked the sources (do not know anything about python), and "ugly-hack fixed" that.
Now my device again sleeps deeper. And hopefully lasts longer (as it looks like today).
I attach my version of speak_03.py. This one is set to german voice files and german espeak as default. Just use diff to find my small changes.

Sorry blaizzen, for being old-fashioned, but I still have my N97, which I use for real navigation. So there is atm no need for me to update to Your latest version.
Thanks, peterleinchen. Do I need to change your file from speak_03.py.txt to speak_02.py? Can I use it with Jiri's version of voice guidance?

Cheers,

Rob

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey robcmk.

See my original post for edit.

You may use the speak_03.py for german, but You have to edit the index.html the same time. Or You just rename that 03 file to speak_02.py to have german voice.

Or You take the (newly attached) 02, which has the settings for english.

Ah, yes. Of course this is for Jiri's version.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
(Just a heads up, there is new maps in ovi suite)
I've seen this too. Did someone update the maps with OviSuite (i've maps for germany and 3 other european countries installed, not sure for which the update is for, it only says "updates available")?
I'm a bit anxoius to loose my ability of my turn by turn navigation.

2 other things, did someone ever get the final speech when arriving at the final destination "Sie haben ihr Ziel erreicht"?

And what i miss in german speech, it only says e.g. "200 meter turn left", it should be "AFTER 200 meter turn left" (in german it should say "NACH 200 Metern biegen sie links ab", but the word "NACH" is missing). Can someone confirm this?

Cheers
Jens

Hello

where can i get different voices for the omvoiceserver like mal/female old/young person etc,

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here so please don't kill me if do something wrong.
I think I've read all 53 pages of this thred, but I can't find (or maybe understand) why I have to change n900 language to english(us) to be able to use the "turn-by-turn" feature of the Ovi Map.
I there a way to keep my native language on the n900? Ovi Map can speak to me in english, but I'd like to have rest of the system in Polish.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Nieczytelny View Post
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here so please don't kill me if do something wrong.
I think I've read all 53 pages of this thred, but I can't find (or maybe understand) why I have to change n900 language to english(us) to be able to use the "turn-by-turn" feature of the Ovi Map.
I there a way to keep my native language on the n900? Ovi Map can speak to me in english, but I'd like to have rest of the system in Polish.
There are several versions available. Python method requires english but can be modified to use other languages (through the html file and python server). OVMS does not need to be changed, just needs you to download and place the files in the correct location. Which method have you chosen?

Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
There are several versions available. Python method requires english but can be modified to use other languages (through the html file and python server). OVMS does not need to be changed, just needs you to download and place the files in the correct location. Which method have you chosen?
None, yet. I didn't want to mess up my system by random trials and mistakes.
Blaizzen, please suggest me a method which will allow me to not change system language. I'll try to find in the thread how to do that step-by-step. If any problem comes up I'll come back to you with more questions.

BTW. Don't you think that would be great to have some kind of manual ("Turn-by-turn for dummies" ) in the very first post of the thread? That would help many "less advanced" N900 users to enjoy T-b-T feature.

Cheers