I have a request. Can someone who has installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the N900 can write a tutorial, step by step how to install it? I mean is that someone has made specific parameters of formatting the memory card, installation options and the necessary changes, etc. Trying to install it but still there are some problems. Not only did I have such problems (including quite a few people from the Polish community in Maemo, and probably others). Read all about it, but in any post, there is no specific guidance on how to install Ubuntu to get started easily. Has any experienced user would take on this?

Originally Posted by agr0 View Post
I have a request. Can someone who has installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the N900 can write a tutorial, step by step how to install it?
Reset your expectations: this is by no means an easy task as of today. But imagine doing that *without* int_ua's script ;-)

I followed the instructions on the first post, running always on a debian notebook directly to the uSD. I had problems with stock qemu-static-arm, so I had to install a newer version from squeeze backports. This is all in previous posts, so search the thread.

My options files are attached for reference, but in summary: ubuntu core, no dist upgrade, nemo firmware, nemo kernel, no swap, no initrd, lxde, lxdm, xorg, etc.

Once your installations is done, create the item file for u-boot. The item file must direct u-boot to where your kernel is. If it sits on the 3rd partition of your uSD, point it to ${EXT_CARD}p3 with ext4. The kernel options must point to the root partition, but notice that mmc names are reversed. So if your root partitions is on mmcblk1p3 inside maemo, point the kernel root arg to mmcblk0p3. Notice that default kernel arguments in the script are fine, you only have to change them if you partition scheme is differente from the defaults (as in my case, as I chose no swap).

I still have problem with the kernel mounting my root partition; we can go back to this point if your kernel boots and ends with something like 'cannot access root partition.'

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: tar options.tar (20.0 KB, 162 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Wow! How nice! I've tried to install Kubuntu Mobile Daily but every time the image was corrupt. Now I read your post, and when I have found some spare time I will install it!!

Are you going to make a port for 12.10 as well?

Onfortunately I can not program, but when I can do something for this project, tell me

Last edited by tiempjuuh; 2012-08-07 at 19:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Emsland
hi folks,

after run the installerscript i get
"wrong image format or bootm command
kernel not found"

fdisk:
/dev/mmcblk1p1 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk1p2 82 Linux swap
/dev/mmcblk1p3 83 Linux (ext3)

ubuntu.item:
ITEM_NAME="Ubuntu"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_INITRD="uInitrd"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_CMDLINE="vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:1280x720MR-16@60 mpurate=\${mpurate} root=/dev/mmcblk1p3 fixrtc quiet splash"
ITEM_REUSEATAGS="1"

greetz and thanks for help

The Following User Says Thank You to Echtor2oo3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please try root=/dev/mmcblk0p3in the ITEM_CMDLINE line

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Emsland
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Please try root=/dev/mmcblk0p3in the ITEM_CMDLINE line
Same Error

The Following User Says Thank You to Echtor2oo3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Here is a post about rebuilding initrd and uimage:http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=347 You might look at uInitrd and uImage of the Ubuntu partition
Code:
sudo just-chroot.sh
ls -l /
Get the sizes of the linked files for uInitrd, initrd.img and uImage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
I get a Uboot error: "Error, wrong RAMdisk size, abort". What to do?

The Following User Says Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Guys I need some help..

I followed the simple instructions provided by the napsters of the site and umm after running the script on the ubuntu machine iv got
right after it finishes creating the partitions on the sdcard it stops im attaching a picture so u understand better..any hints will be appreciated
Attached Images

bump...................!