Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I'm getting these random errors with three different applications, Messaging, Email, and MicroB. It happens about 10-20 seconds after opening any of these apps (rendering my device close to useless since I need these apps to work). I am not sure if it relates to text I have typed in or not - if I don't type anything (e.g. if I don't start on a message) the app does not crash, but if I type a sentence or two, it reliably crashes.

How to fix this? It's amazingly annoying. I've looked around on this site and discovered that several other people have had this issue - though not usually with as many different apps as I have. And I've yet to see a solution posted that works.

It's surprising - the reputation of Maemo is that it is very stable. This isn't exactly my experience, though.

The main issue - how am I to fix this?

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Actually afaik its the opposite Maemo has more holes then a Swiss cheese

If you didnt touched extras devel or tweaked any settings then , overcloked / changed advanced kernel settings then you might have a defective/corrupted memory.

Did u tried reflashing?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Aha.. yes I have installed stuff from Extras Devel but that was ages ago and I haven't done anything for a while since before that.

So if all else fails I backup, reflash, and reinstall without touching Extras Devel, I guess is what you're saying.

I did try the latest CSSU now and that has actually helped, so far... no more of these crashes, and the device is more responsive to boot (good work CSSU people). But we will see if this is really the last of these errors, it's too early to say.. and a somewhat risky strategy I guess.

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Aha.. yes I have installed stuff from Extras Devel but that was ages ago and I haven't done anything for a while since before that.

So if all else fails I backup, reflash, and reinstall without touching Extras Devel, I guess is what you're saying.
I don't know whether it's the same problem, but I had several text-input related internal errors, too, mainly with conversations. First I thought my conversations database was too big, but deleting it didn't do any good. Now I found out that appearently, it's related to the text autocompletion, possibly because the database got too big.

Disabling autocompletion seems to fix the problem for me. Maybe other people with the same problem could try it, so we can file a bug report?

Regards,
Eagle_Linux

[EDIT: Minor typos removed]

Last edited by eagle_linux; 2011-05-04 at 11:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to eagle_linux For This Useful Post:
had the same problem basically reflashing is the only way it stopped for me! Now get the occasional email error

My experience with this is much MUCH worst. After any app crahes and shows internal errors. All of the shortcuts. Widgets. Contacts on the desktop are gone. So I have to set it up all again.

This happens the second day I have my N900 which is last year. Im about to flash it but I realize that what causing this to my unit is the modified kernel. After I uninstalled that. It is back to normal.

I don't know if it applied the same to you guys. Just want to say gudluck.

yeah any widget that required internet access would cause this problem nokia facebook widget would cause internet error like i said reflashing helped me

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nigeria
Hello Guys,

There is something I stumbled to on Maemo.. You could check it out. It kind of worked for me for now..

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...mail%22+Closed

I have found this to be caused by a corrupt auto-complete dictionary.

You can confirm by turing off autocomplete in settings/text input.

if you have the same problem you can fix by turning autocomplete off, deleting the dictionaries, and turning it back on.

They are in .osso/dictionaries

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Hey I hadn't made the connection to the auto-complete function in my mind but disabling that seems to have fixed it and hopefully it stays fixed. I actually find the auto-complete stuff annoying and quicker just to type so I'm just going to leave it off.

Is there an open bug about it?