Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
hey all,

I am starting to take my programming hobby a bit more seriously so I am thinking on getting a laptop just for that. I am looking on developing mostly for the maemo competition, so meego/maemo/sailfish and iOS/Android and maybe tizen :P

Basically the laptop need to run the code and I am debugging with hardware so I won't be running a emulator that often. (unless I do not have the target device :P)

My first choice would be a MacBook air 13in (cheap and linux) or a new Razor Blade Stealth (bit overkill tho but powerful)

Any advice or recommendation for me?

I can't wait to start developing for the competition!!

Thanks in advance
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Any modern laptop will do.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by andil View Post
hey all,

I am starting to take my programming hobby a bit more seriously so I am thinking on getting a laptop just for that. I am looking on developing mostly for the maemo competition, so meego/maemo/sailfish and iOS/Android and maybe tizen :P

Basically the laptop need to run the code and I am debugging with hardware so I won't be running a emulator that often. (unless I do not have the target device :P)

My first choice would be a MacBook air 13in (cheap and linux) or a new Razor Blade Stealth (bit overkill tho but powerful)

Any advice or recommendation for me?

I can't wait to start developing for the competition!!

Thanks in advance
Macs are great but also pretty bad due to the price and the quality. They got the strangest issues but if money is no issue, go for it. Cheap Linux?

Is this computer only for learning to code? Then I say get a cheap windows computer. Especially if you are coding at home.

But if you decide to get a mac...buy it in US. It's so much cheaper that you almost get the trip for free

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-15 at 11:00.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I just love Thinkpads, they are built to last and have that developer feeling. (The T series, that is, not the consumer grade crapload)
So any 2nd hand T60/61, T400, similar like that. Cost almost nothing, built like tanks.

Last edited by juiceme; 2016-11-15 at 14:07. Reason: corrected typo

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
In case you care, there is a retailer from Essex, that sells RYF-certified X200 and T400 with Libreboot and Trisquel pre-installed. [1]
Compared to professionally refurbished laptops of the same type (in Germany), the prices seem quite hefty, but if their prices for the service alone are an indication for the difficulty of the modification, then the hardware is actually a bargain.

[1] https://minifree.org/product-category/laptops/

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Get a good display, whatever you get. Clear, easy-to-read -- for you -- and nice and big, considering what you've got to spend and how much carrying around you need do. The older I get, the bigger a screen I want, so see it in person to make sure the size and resolution work for you in a programming environment.

Coding can be really tedious when ls and 1s and Os and 0s get hard to distinguish, e.g. Not to mention having to frequently tab or switch windows all the time when you really might prefer to see two or more things simultaneously but there isn't the room.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I just love Thinkpads, they are built to last and have that developer feeling. (The T series, that is, not the consumer grade crapload)
So any 2nd hand T60/61, T400, similar like that. Cost almost nothing, built like tanks.
+1!

I have had T60 and now T420. Thinkpads are awesome, they are pretty easy to disassemble+assemble, easy to upgrade (Eg. RAM and more disks). Thinkpads are well supported if you want to run Linux

T410 ... everything you could ever need is under your fingers.
Any interface, good performance, low price, great build quality.

Comparing a T410 to a recent "ultra thin" laptop makes appear the recent one a toy to read newspapers.

Last edited by xes; 2016-11-15 at 21:41.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I can recommend the FHD Asus Zenbooks - light, half the price of a MacBook, same or better performance.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xes View Post
T410 ... everything you could ever need is under your fingers.
Unless you have one of those T410 with the wonky fan controller.

Thinkpads are overrated in my opinion. Yes, they are usually good (I have a T430, which is quite ok). But Dell Latitude/Precision, and Fujitsu Lifebook/Celsius are on par quality-wise. I've also heard good things about some HP series.
Stay away from Sony Vaios! They tend to have a screwed-up cooling system.