Notices

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by jtcr17 View Post
I read in some blog that Gravity was being port to Maemo, somebody knows if this is true?
Jan, the developer of Gravity, mentioned a few times on Twitter that he was thinking of porting it to Maemo 5. No commitments though.

I too would love to see a full-featured Twitter client for the N900. Would make sense too given the geeky audience of this device. The lack of a good Twitter client is one of the main reason why I didn't stick with the N810 very long.

Tried Mauku on the N810 but although it did look quite nice, it was really too limited compared to the other mobile Twitter clients I got used to. Still looking forward to see what's it's going to be like on the N900.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
I've pre-ordered the n900 and my increasingly prolific use on Twitter is making me think twice. If Gravity arrives on M5 quickly I'll be very happy indeed.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Londrina, PR - Brazil
Hi all, so can anyone describe what are the "awesome" features found on Gravity that can't be found on Mauku or other twitter clients?

I'm using Mauku now, but it's behavior is getting me nuts because it keeps opening new windows when I just want to scroll, so I thought in making a twitter app myself.

It would be cool If you help me with ideas. Bye.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
I'm using Mauku now, but it's behavior is getting me nuts because it keeps opening new windows when I just want to scroll, so I thought in making a twitter app myself.
I expect that you are talking about the old Mauku 0.x for legacy devices (like N810). The touch screen may temporarily lost the contact while scrolling especially if you are using a screen protector. Thus, the software will receive separate clicks instead of continuous drag. It is related to hardware, not software.

The upcoming Mauku 2.0 application for Fremantle does not have that issue. In addition, it will have a lot of new nice features...

There is a thread about Mauku 2.0.

The Following User Says Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hhedberg View Post
I expect that you are talking about the old Mauku 0.x for legacy devices (like N810). The touch screen may temporarily lost the contact while scrolling especially if you are using a screen protector. Thus, the software will receive separate clicks instead of continuous drag. It is related to hardware, not software.

The upcoming Mauku 2.0 application for Fremantle does not have that issue. In addition, it will have a lot of new nice features...

There is a thread about Mauku 2.0.
Of course its a hardware issue, but for a software designed especifically to this hardware, its kind of a very bad excuse.. At least its not the way I write software. For me if the hardware have that kind of issue, the software should prevent it using other, less common gesture to opening window, and using the click for selecting for example.

By the way, whats the purpose of openining a new window for a single tweet? And other thing, Mauku for N810 is abandonned now with Maemo 5 release?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
...whats the purpose of openining a new window for a single tweet?
Mauku started life as a Jaiku client, and with Jaiku, the function makes great sense as it allows you to open and read the thread in which a particular post appears.

As you note though, the function doesn't serve much purpose with Twitter, as Twitter doesn't handle replies as nicely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
For me if the hardware have that kind of issue, the software should prevent it using other, less common gesture to opening window, and using the click for selecting for example.
There is a gesture that performs the same action than double click: sweep to right. However, active users wanted to have also double click, so that is enabled too. My own opinion was to left it out. The next version could make that optional. However, most of the users seems to have either better working touchscreen (or no screen protector) or more force in their touches when they scroll.

And other thing, Mauku for N810 is abandonned now with Maemo 5 release?
Currently, yes. If I have time I may either port the Mauku 2.0 into Diablo or change the backend of Mauku 0.x to use the new Microfeed library.

The Following User Says Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Oh, I see.. Well, so as I dont have much free time to help the project, or send a nice patch for this, I think I'll just remove the double click hardcode way for my personal usage and be happy

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Hi all, so can anyone describe what are the "awesome" features found on Gravity that can't be found on Mauku or other twitter clients?

Being a Gravity user for some time, here is a non-complete list of features:
  • multiple accounts
  • Tabs for replies, DM, friends and subscriptions
  • Search
  • freely configurable audible signals for any events
  • freely configurable refresh times for any events

Especially the reply tabs would make an Identi.ca client very useful.

For Identi.ca, I'd also love to see support for the !group feature. Like dynamic tabs for mentioned groups in your followers tweets, plus static tabs for the groups you are subscribed to.
E.g. you are subscribed to !n900 and !linux, you would have a static tab for each group. Now you receive a tweet from someone (follower, subscribed group) which mentions another group !maemo, the client should dynamically open a tab for this group and keep it for a configurable period of time. The tab should also stay, if another tweet mentions it.

Ehm, hope I was not too confusing with that idea.