Active Topics

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Draconic, even for me.

Many people ramble on with obviously good intentions. They think they help adding their own experiences.

IMO, a 72 font warning every login would do more. "Bugzilla is not a forum. Each message generates mail. Keep it shoort and useful".
yes, I also think the comment box should be at the bottom of the page and opened after clicking a link

"I have read the previous comments and I have new important information to add"

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I think that, while your suggestion is sound, what you really want is incarceration followed by corporal punishment. Just think of how effective it will be and how much fun you will have whipping people you do not like (a.k.a. "ranters") in front of a crowd. And when you get tired of the spectacle, you can always go waterboard some t.m.o characters (a.k.a. "trolls").
I don't want corporal punishment, I'd like to get people permbanned when they don't get it at all the first time (#9314)

Who said the choice would be mine? The problem for now is that there is no clear policy. A. Klapper and Timeless etc are doing good work with bugtracker and keeping it pretty clean. But if there were rules written down and shown before creating account, people would realise ranting there does nothing but get their email banned from bugzilla...

and lcuk yes it would be nice to let everyone do what they want but if you expect someone from nokia side to engage a bug, every single character of a rant makes things worse for users in the end (time is spent filtering what is relevant and what not). It is all about rights these days, and nothing about responsibilities to not make others life harder.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I agree with everybody else, a little too strict, and too fast. Besides before you complain about people breaking rules and the resulting punishments, you should probably make sure you aren't breaking any either.
No one is perfect but don't attack the messenger... ( see my previous reply about people not getting it after first infringment)

btw 5 rows of text or 5 rows total?
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I don't want corporal punishment, I'd like to get people permbanned when they don't get it at all the first time (#9314)
Yes, I know the feeling. Want them gone, too sheepish to kill them off with your own hands, willing to let someone else do the killing, but secretly wishing you could do it yourself.

Who said the choice would be mine?
But if the choice is not yours, where is the fun in that? Besides, someone may classify yourself a ranter, and you know what happens next...

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I classify him as a ranter ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Yes, I know the feeling. Want them gone, too sheepish to kill them off with your own hands, willing to let someone else do the killing, but secretly wishing you could do it yourself.

But if the choice is not yours, where is the fun in that? Besides, someone may classify yourself a ranter, and you know what happens next...
what the hell is wrong with you guys? have I pissed off you all with something or what? Where does that personal psychoanalysis come from?

I don't care about noisy bugs because I don't have to read them through. I am only sympathising Aklapper and other guys atm who must work with bugzilla and keep it running..

And if I am considered a ranter, go ahead ban me. I'll lick my wounds and cool down. The rules are all the same for everyone (or at least should be)
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
I classify him as a ranter ...
because I agree gqil instead of you?
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Much like the rest, I'm inclined to agree with the premise if not the extent of the execution.

Really, though, who cares? It's not like there's anybody left working on Maemo (or certainly wont be in a month or two), so avoiding driving away engineers really isn't a worry when there aren't any.

It'd have been nice if we could get the Bugzilla 3.x upgrade installed (which is nearly a year overdue). That was one blocker on the "Me too!" button enhancement, but with maemo.org's budget being slashed, I doubt we'll see the upgrade or the button.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Some of us have email notification when an issue of high interest pops, in hopes for a fix, workaround, report. And every saltless dolt with an opinion generates a new email, and every new email dings my N900.

Letting people ramble on in bugzilla is the electronic equivalent of people ringing your doorbell and the running away. A few times it's OK, but really, some people could abuse a boulder.

Which pops the idea: how about delayed notification, giving maintainers time to review and delete comments? Aggressively?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Bugzilla is a system filled to the roof with self importance, arrogance, and sheer stubborn blindness to the obvious. I would suggest, particularly to people like ossipena, that they chill out a little. Your solution is a knee jerk reaction to a deficiency in bugzilla - that deficiency being a lack of comment moderation. You're expecting self restraint in a system that any old Joe Six Pack can access. Not going to happen.

It reminds me of the early 1990's and the hostility shown to anyone new trying to grasp the ways of Linux.

Most of the rants I've read are in response to developers who decide an issue doesn't exist for them, so it doesn't exist at all. Then you get Nokia adjusting many things to "Wont Fix" - really, what do you expect people to do, lay down and accept this?

Maemo is end of life. I suspect, sadly, that this forum will go the same way once MeeGo hits the streets. Maybe it's just better to let it go.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post: