Hi everyone, how you all doing? I'm new here and I hope this is the right place to post this but over amonth ago I have accidentally dropped my Nokia N9 and the screen cracked, to the point that it wasnt only the glass element but the LCD itself was spilling, therefore rendering it completely unusable, a screen replacement was needed.

I've finally ordered my screen and carefully following the youtube video tutorial by LE55ONS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dxsTGpGRhs

...I successfully replaced my screen and all looked dandy and new. However, I noticed something quite strange about it, when the phone is idle the clock is displayed, but only for a few seconds before going completely black, also one can double-tap or touch the screen to unlock it, but in this case the double-tapping doesnt work whatsoever and instead you would have to physically press the button to unlock it as so.

At first I thought this was a minor cause a semi-clear plastic screen cover was on and was probably affecting it. Then when I entered my sim-card to make it my phone again I tried it out by making some phonecalls, and to my complete shock, the screen went completely blank and gave me absolutely no control ove rthe phone, I couldnt hang up, nor can I try to 'unlock it' but i can still hear the phone functioning it still attempts to dial and go straight into voicemail. My only way out was forcing the switch off the phone completely by luck (damn you buttonless touchscreen mobile phones!!!).

From there on, I went back to my backup/temp phone until I can try and figure what was going on. Does anyone know what could the problem be by any chance? I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly when replacing the screen, I really dont know what to do here!

I had this happen with my replacement screen. It turns out the proximity sensor wasn't seated properly on the replacement screen. I had to re-position the proximity sensor to make it work correctly.

Other than an incorrectly oriented proximity sensor, make sure you correctly hooked up the ribbon cable for the sensor (the smaller plug).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bb91 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
This thread reminds me why hardware buttons really are something of a must. Noted for future reference, in the event that I am rich enough to start my own cell phone making company.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Uncanny timing, very similar circumstances were brought up yesterday with a confirmed fix: standby screen + double tap to unlock
+ previously unconfirmed but suggested to be the proximity sensor N9 screen/sleep mode issue please help!!

bb91 is on to it.

Need some help, folks.

I recently replaced the screen on my N9 because it was cracked. Everything went fine until it came to turning on my phone. Usually there's a brief vibrate when it turns on, and that was the case with the cracked screen too, but not with the new one. No vibrate, the screen doesn't light up, and the corner LED stays on for about 5 seconds before dying.

I got the new screen from parts4repair.com, which a lot of the other people here recommended, so I'm hoping I didn't get a dud. Anything else I might have missed? The proximity sensor was placed just fine. The issue is that the phone won't turn on with the new screen.

Last edited by Janitor X; 2014-04-16 at 04:17. Reason: Misspelled the vendor's website

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Janitor X View Post
Need some help, folks.

I recently replaced the screen on my N9 because it was cracked. Everything went fine until it came to turning on my phone. Usually there's a brief vibrate when it turns on, and that was the case with the cracked screen too, but not with the new one. No vibrate, the screen doesn't light up, and the corner LED stays on for about 5 seconds before dying.

I got the new screen from parts4repair.org, which a lot of the other people here recommended, so I'm hoping I didn't get a dud. Anything else I might have missed? The proximity sensor was placed just fine. The issue is that the phone won't turn on with the new screen.
did you power on your N9 without the display connected?

try to disconnect the battery for a view seconds to make a reset and reassemble it again, maybe that helps.

Originally Posted by MarcAnton View Post
did you power on your N9 without the display connected?

try to disconnect the battery for a view seconds to make a reset and reassemble it again, maybe that helps.
I tried disconnecting the battery for a while, but the same result. At this point I'm dreading that I got sold a broken screen.

Need some help, folks.

I got the new screen from parts4repair.com, which a lot of the other people here recommended, so I'm hoping I didn't get a dud. Anything else I might have missed? The proximity sensor was placed just fine. The issue is that the phone won't turn on with the new screen.
Based on my own experience, the proximity sensor/flex cable is very sensitive for breaking. I broke mine. You can test by not connecting it (=leaving the cable totally away). If your phone then works, it is just the broken sensor and you need to replace it.

I ordered a new one, and I was very careful with it, but it did not work. The seller sent me a new, working one.

Originally Posted by Heik View Post
Based on my own experience, the proximity sensor/flex cable is very sensitive for breaking. I broke mine. You can test by not connecting it (=leaving the cable totally away). If your phone then works, it is just the broken sensor and you need to replace it.

I ordered a new one, and I was very careful with it, but it did not work. The seller sent me a new, working one.
I've tried that too, but no dice. It's not that the screen stays blank -- it's that the phone just won't turn on with this new screen. With the old, cracked one, it does, although the screen itself won't light up (I can tell it's on by the vibration when I first turn it on, and then a few moments later by the Nokia startup music).

What's got me completely flummoxed is why attaching this new screen won't allow the phone to turn on at all.

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I've tried that too, but no dice. It's not that the screen stays blank -- it's that the phone just won't turn on with this new screen. With the old, cracked one, it does, although the screen itself won't light up (I can tell it's on by the vibration when I first turn it on, and then a few moments later by the Nokia startup music).

What's got me completely flummoxed is why attaching this new screen won't allow the phone to turn on at all.
Have you re-attached the old broken screen after you found these issues with the new one?
If the vibration is felt, and the tune is heard after the old screen is put back on, it is most certainly the new screen. However, I have never heard of a malfunctioning screen causing these issues before.