Notices

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
what is that app?
it adds support to type in romanized unicode Nepali(if you are confused, its about typing in Nepali font using english keyboard). press shift+alt to switch typing language systemwide.

what platform does it works on?
Debian Etch, Ubuntu (6.06 & 6.10), Fedora (Core 5 & 6), and openSuSE 10.1. mainly and it is not required in newer versions, it works by default.

is it open sourced? where to get the code?
http://nepalinux.org/downloads/nepal...ack-1.0.tar.gz
it has nepali font, keystroke to character converstion and ui translation file for those oses mentioned above. only typing is of focus.

how can i say it won't take more than an hour to port?
the tarball is approx. 4mb, translation files(*.mo) takes most of the space rest are only about 200kb and most of those seems to be the keystroke conversation code. plus what it does seems to be copy files to some directory.

problems that may be encountered?
the biggest doubt/trouble here will be is there keyboard switching layout tool as in pc linux distros? if no there will be trouble and such app needs to be ported but if I am not wrong, the regional firmwares of different region allows to type in their native language as well as english(even though I can select two language in text setting in input, i don't seems to figure out how to type in language oter than en) which should mean there that thing as well.

btw I contacted developer of the package to port it to maemo and the reply was:
Hi,
Not sure whether it works in Maemo 5 or how much extra effort is
required but please do try the following link:
Inputs (XKb, iiimf, scim)
http://www.nepalinux.org/inputIn our NepaLinux versions, we used the above as input method for
making Nepali Unicode input available.
I have asked the developer to check this thread so please guys help me/us.

As far as I can see, porting this package will be easier for regular maemo developer than the package developer since the package developer might need to goto lots of stuffs about maemo but maemo developer will have to look at the code just for a bit of time.

ukeyboard does the job if anyone is interested.