Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Any screenshots please?
One is in the first post already. Didn't have time to take it earlier.

Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
very impresses, midnight commander meets cute explorer, with bugs ironed out and functionality improved this would be my main file explorer.
Thanks, and its still WIP Any bugs or functionality suggestions report here or preferably in the garage tracker.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
- Could be done and could be useful, what exactly do you have in mind?
You maybe are using one folder extra much.. like a themer. He would probably need /usr/share/icons. It would be nice to click open a menu and the choose this dir directly.

I agree with you on tree view now when i have tested the program.. it would not work. But i miss the long-click-menus. I think it would be better to hide away cp, mv, rm and such in a menue. Also instead of duble click to open maybe that menue could have a check square. I would prefer ctrl to check though.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
You maybe are using one folder extra much.. like a themer. He would probably need /usr/share/icons. It would be nice to click open a menu and the choose this dir directly.
Yeah, but if you have one bookmark, you can have more as well. How you do the UI is what matters, the screen is not too big. I'm not a fan of menus though. If you'd need to switch often, the number of clicks needed would be too many...

I agree with you on tree view now when i have tested the program.. it would not work. But i miss the long-click-menus. I think it would be better to hide away cp, mv, rm and such in a menue. Also instead of duble click to open maybe that menue could have a check square. I would prefer ctrl to check though.
As I said, I don't like menus much, especially the long press ones. I more than often end up selecting the wrong item in the menu or don't press any at all. Is it only me not getting it right?

Selecting and activating (ie. what you now do with the double click) could be configurable in the future, like using Ctrl etc. But most probably not selecting with context menu, that would be dead slow and I can't imagine anyone using it like that...

One problem with Ctrl is that it is only on one side of the keyboard. If you press it with your left thumb, you'll have hard time selecting files in the left pane. I'm also of the opinion that its more comfortable to use only the screen to control the application when possible. There are many possibilities with screen gestures for example. Although thats mostly unsupported by QT....

Just see this as ideas.

I have no problems with clicking menus and don't know a better solution on small screens. Although i am normally using terminal for file handling i have liked this in CuteExplorer. Same goes for the Ctrl. If you want it to be a "one hand" program maybe a profile view would be better? I normaly don't use one hand though and if possible prefer the use of keyboard.

I am not sure how the best way to make a bookmark would be. Maybe a button at the top. So it would be two clicks.

But if you already have decided on how you like it. then go with that. It could be confusing to mix different designs and probably make the program more unstable.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Just see this as ideas.
Thats what I do and I'm grateful for them

I have no problems with clicking menus and don't know a better solution on small screens. Although i am normally using terminal for file handling i have liked this in CuteExplorer. Same goes for the Ctrl. If you want it to be a "one hand" program maybe a profile view would be better? I normaly don't use one hand though and if possible prefer the use of keyboard.
I don't want it to be a one-hand program, thats not practical for a file manager. I was just saying that with your left thumb pressing Ctrl, you'd need to reach over the whole screen with your right thumb to select the files in the left pane. Not such a problem (I have long fingers, maybe others would find it worse), but still not very comfortable.

By the way, I also use terminal for file handling on PC, I don't even have any other file manager installed (except for mc which I rarely use). I also mostly work on keyaboard, mouse only when needed.

But on N900, I think touchscreen (ideally with gestures which it doesn't really have) provides higher level of comfort to the small keyboard in this case. Don't get me wrong, I love the keyboard and it has its uses too.

I am not sure how the best way to make a bookmark would be. Maybe a button at the top. So it would be two clicks.
Yeah, I don't wanna add too many 'rows of buttons' though. I already plan to put an (optionaly hidable) toolbar to the bottom. I was thinking maybe sliding the finger on the location textbox left or right would be a good way to switch tabs.. But I don't know how feasible such gestures are with QT yet.

But if you already have decided on how you like it. then go with that. It could be confusing to mix different designs and probably make the program more unstable.
I have my ideas, but I like to hear other people's opinions... So thanks

Thats what I do and I'm grateful for them

But on N900, I think touchscreen (ideally with gestures which it doesn't really have) provides higher level of comfort to the small keyboard in this case. Don't get me wrong, I love the keyboard and it has its uses too.

Yeah, I don't wanna add too many 'rows of buttons' though. I already plan to put an (optionaly hidable) toolbar to the bottom. I was thinking maybe sliding the finger on the location textbox left or right would be a good way to switch tabs.. But I don't know how feasible such gestures are with QT yet.
That optional hidable toolbar would be great and somewhat a necessity for file handling on such a small screen. I am with you on not cluttering the view more than it already is. I would like it even less cluttery but that would mean menus.. which you didn't like

Also how hard would it be to incorporate some SSH support/handling. I don't think there is a SSH gui on the n900 yet. Together with bookmark handling it could become very usable.

On linux, files starting with . (dot) are hidden. They are by default not shown by file managers etc. Usually, they are configuration files and other stuff you don't need to see all the time.

But..... On N900, the folders you see in the default file manager as "Audio Clips", "Images" and all those that have nonstandard icon, are actually hidden folders on the file system called .sounds, .images and so on. Reason given is so that they could localize the names. IMHO they really screwed it up. I'll have to make some workaround for this in the future, because people can't access their data through hidden files and although its possible to move these directories, I think its not easy and you can't expect that from regular users.

So, press Ctrl-H to show these files starting with a dot and you'll find all your data in those ugly-named directories.

UI looks good for a beta release...but it need polishing...

May be some eye candy icons will do the job...

Hiding files will be really a gr8 feature as its not there for n900 yet.
Pls try to implement it.Its a long awaited App.

Present File managers have these copy and move functions.But not the hiding feature

none of the developers have created an App for hiding/locking files yet.

But i know that also will be done in a matter of time....

New version is in the repos, featuring bright and shiny icons. It just didn't feel finished without them, so I rushed to make it before the competition officially ends

Oh, and they may not look like much... But they will change color with your theme, so you never have to worry they'll blend with the background and they'll always fit in

@s33: Speak of the devil... Regarding hiding of the files, I'm really not sure how you would like it done. Its not a job for a file manager anyway... I could hide them in case, but any other FM would see them. you can't really hide anything on a normal file system. You'd need something more elaborate. (hidden partition or something.)

Last edited by lukash; 2010-07-21 at 22:09. Reason: more info

That optional hidable toolbar would be great and somewhat a necessity for file handling on such a small screen. I am with you on not cluttering the view more than it already is. I would like it even less cluttery but that would mean menus.. which you didn't like
Agreed. And some stuff will most probably end up in menus anyway, because there will be no other place for it and it wouldn't need to be accessed so frequently. And just today I actually noticed some notions of gestures support in the QT docs. I didn't look for it earlier and didn't bump into it. Seems there might be something nice available already

Also how hard would it be to incorporate some SSH support/handling. I don't think there is a SSH gui on the n900 yet. Together with bookmark handling it could become very usable.
I'm not sure how hard it will be, but its on the roadmap. If it would be a good solution to just mount it on the FS, it wouldn't be too hard. But direct access.. don't know.

New version is in the repos, featuring bright and shiny icons. It just didn't feel finished without them, so I rushed to make it before the competition officially ends

Oh, and they may not look like much... But they will change color with your theme, so you never have to worry they'll blend with the background and they'll always fit in

@s33: Speak of the devil... Regarding hiding of the files, I'm really not sure how you would like it done. Its not a job for a file manager anyway... I could hide them in case, but any other FM would see them. you can't really hide anything on a normal file system. You'd need something more elaborate. (hidden partition or something.)
I was thinking more like locking files with a PIN.when unlocking asks for the secret PIN....dnt know if thats easy or not......

What about that???Locking can be a feature of a file manager right?

Tags
file manager