Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by nology View Post
"Update to Sygic Aura on Maemo

Users of Mobile Maps for Maemo that upgrade to MeeGo will receive a free update to Aura once it becomes available. "

Maybe my reading comprehension is bad?
Link to FAQ page
http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/fa...ygic-aura.html

I know I read this a few weeks ago... so I had to recheck and post here.
wow.
There must be some bad miscommunication happening inside Sygic...
Thanks for pointing me to that FAQ!

no prob, i just hope its true. Aura looks awesome and a free upgrade would be more awesome.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
"Update to Sygic Aura on Maemo

Users of Mobile Maps for Maemo that upgrade to MeeGo will receive a free update to Aura once it becomes available. "

Maybe my reading comprehension is bad?
Link to FAQ page
http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/fa...ygic-aura.html
emphasis added.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
zehjotkah, are you able to ask if the beta could be extended to more users? I'm happy if it has a timebomb so that it no longer works after a given date (I might add that I do not know how difficult this would be to implement, but many devs seem to be able to do it).

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Users of Mobile Maps for Maemo that upgrade to MeeGo will receive a free update to Aura once it becomes available.
Does that mean users who upgrade their N900 to MeeGo or who replace their Maemo device with a new device running Meego? Kind of ambiguous.

The Following User Says Thank You to chipper For This Useful Post:
Maybe we should launch the Maemo version published reflect Sygic AURA

Hi all,

the thing I like the most about Maemo is how intensely is the community involved

We developed our app for Maemo because at that time it seemed that
Maemo is going to be a big market. If we knew from the beginning that the OS will stop at one phone, we may have decided not to develop for Maemo at all.

Originally, we planned to cover more regions, we planned Aura for Maemo (and we developed it and communicated it) and we planned Aura as a free update for Maemo. But the platform / OS landscape changes a lot and we have to adapt. We are really sorry for the confusion it causes.

We ported Aura to Maemo but decided not to deliver it. Delivering an app to customers is for us a long term commitment to work on the app, to improve it over time. We do sell Mobile Maps for Maemo still because we think the app is of decent quality. Aura has been developed as a new app from the scratch and we may need a few updates to stabilize it. This would consume a lot of resources internally.

Shall we sell Aura for Maemo instead of providing it for free? I don't think so, because first, we provide it for free on other platforms and it would be not fair to sell it elsewhere, and second, maintaining compatibility with an operating system is a huge task which only makes sense if the operating system has long term potential. It is not just about compiling, recompiling etc, it is about carrying a lot of complexity across the whole company.

As you can see at feedback.sygic.com, the status of our app for MeeGo is under review. The outlook for MeeGo was different in January than it is since February, isn't it? We are humble developers, we have to adapt... and not hurt customers in the process. For this reason, rather no Aura for Maemo than a half developed one.

No good news, I know, and I am sorry

Samo Jurdik
Online Channels Director

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to SygicSupport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
@SygicSupport, thanks for clarification. But what about map update for Sygic Mobile Maps? I'm happy to pay for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to mivoligo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
I guess map compatibilty should not be messed with. Any map update is welcomed, whether we are talking about a map for a new product, and update for an old product.

Maps should be updated regularly, although, I must confess, it's been a while since Sygic maps have been updated, at least when speaking about Romania.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
lol..At least you have a map for your country...

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageBrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbye nokia