Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
See this thread for discussion & help/tips about Sailfish for the N9:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90761

I thought I'd start this thread as the one concerning port to N9 will lose focus if everyone asks/describes port to every known Android device on planet.
Perhaps should focus on Nexus 4 or 7 for now as there has been some progress here. Anyways, I am not expert on this but hope to learn from you all.
Here is a you tube video for a starter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVAMGv3tI4 Thanks!

LG Nexus 4/7 Samsung GS3:

What we know:

- Work in progress
- Installation with CyanogeMod and ClockworkMod (Video)
- Video 2
- 02/21/2014 Jolla announce that Sailfish will be available for Android devices on the first half of 2014
- First release for Nexus 4

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-18 at 03:44. Reason: updated, still quite outdated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Jolla not supporting android phones. Sailfish can be ported to android phones. It's two different things.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Jolla not supporting android phones. Sailfish can be ported to android phones. It's two different things.
Thank you for the correction. I will edit first post.

EDIT: Appears to not be the case. See a few posts down...

Last edited by mscion; 2014-03-25 at 12:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Would you interpret this as good news or bad news in regards to porting Sailfish on android device? I'm not sure, but it seems like they have a ways to go...

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

I would say this counts as confirmed good news: https://twitter.com/HarriHakulinen/s...63017555959808

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina

Here is a link to XDA thread that gives the latest work on porting Sailfish to Nexus 4 (with mention to some other devices). According to OP a not fully working (but getting there!) port will be out this week.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...xus-4-t2667622

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Might be true. Might not be true. Might be partly true or completely false. It will probably be true but you can't be sure. They might select a target device or join up with a vendor and release a dual boot, might find a buissness model that support it...and/or just release a down loadable rom. Please read below...

From jolla, by jolla and acording to jolla:

"Sailfish OS downloadable to existing Android devices

Sailfish OS has been developed to be compatible with commonly available Android hardware platforms. Due to this advanced technology, Jolla is introducing the Sailfish OS experience as downloadable software to devices running Android OS. Users can soon start to enjoy the modern, gesture based Sailfish OS in selected Android devices and also renew the lifecycle of their existing older Android devices.

The Sailfish community has already ported Sailfish OS into several devices including major versions of popular Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, and Sony Xperia. Also, porting for highly popular Chinese Xiaomi products is under work in community projects.

In addition, Jolla is releasing its own Sailfish user interface launcher as an Android application, which can be used to simulate the Sailfish OS experience on Android devices. The app will be available for download in the near future from Jolla.com and from common Android market places.

“We see this as a huge volume opportunity for Sailfish OS as there are close to a billion Android users globally. Many of them are looking for new user experiences to freshen up their existing devices. Last year in China alone, about 100 million devices were re-flashed after the purchase with a new operating system. This approach allows Sailfish OS to scale into volume fast without limitations. This is a scaling opportunity in a similar way as we have seen in the mobile gaming industry recently,” Antti Saarnio, Chairman of the Board of Jolla comments.

Jolla will release the downloadable Sailfish OS software in phases during the first half of 2014. First, the UI launcher application is released so users can start to experience the Sailfish user interface in their existing devices running Android OS. Later Android smartphone users can get the full Sailfish OS to their devices."

Dave999's source:
http://jolla.com/media/documents/MWC...ment_FINAL.pdf

you can't argue facts, right just sit tight and you will be able to download full sailfish OS to android devices...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-24 at 18:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
When you think about it...the launcher should be available any day now...while it's not so important for me I consider it the first important milestone for sail on android hw for users.
Yes. I found it a little confusing in that I thought the launcher was coming out first, then I found the xda post that said the nexus 4 version was coming out this week. I don't mind checking out a new launcher. I currently use 3 that I go between for various reasons. Btw, if you look at the Nexus 7 progress it seems nearly compete and further along than Nexus 4. Would seem to make more sense to release that first... Regardess, I'm still counting down. 20 days until I get my Jolla phone.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Yes. I found it a little confusing in that I thought the launcher was coming out first, then I found the xda post that said the nexus 4 version was coming out this week. I don't mind checking out a new launcher. I currently use 3 that I go between for various reasons. Btw, if you look at the Nexus 7 progress it seems nearly compete and further along than Nexus 4. Would seem to make more sense to release that first... Regardess, I'm still counting down. 20 days until I get my Jolla phone.
The official "full OS" will be launched after launcher. This week they'll launch the unfinished version for early adopters

The Following User Says Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:

Tags
mister a-hole