Active Topics

Notices

I Installed the latest 2008 OS for the Nokia N800. I try to download the West Map and it starts to download and it gets hung up. I have enough room on the card for the file, but actually any of the maps will not download. If I try to use the google satelite or or google streets got the same problem, the maps will not download. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Downloading the West map on my N810 worked fine although now I use Maemo Mapper instead. Google has changed the URLs of their map repositories. Google maps are proprietary and they are within their rights to do so. I'm not sure what they are now. In my case I changed to using the OpenStreet maps in Maemo Mapper which are open source and freely available. The OpenStreet map files are smaller than those from Google.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Downloading the West map on my N810 worked fine although now I use Maemo Mapper instead. Google has changed the URLs of their map repositories. Google maps are proprietary and they are within their rights to do so. I'm not sure what they are now. In my case I changed to using the OpenStreet maps in Maemo Mapper which are open source and freely available. The OpenStreet map files are smaller than those from Google.
How can I find out what the repositories are?? I got the same problem with open street and Yahoo, fail to download...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Do you want maps for the built in Maps application or for Maemo Mapper? I may be wrong but I think the built in Maps only uses proprietary maps from the company that licenses you the maps for that particular map application.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Garden Valley CA 95633
I downloaded the Western US map for the Nokia Map application yesterday (2009.09.23) to my PC using the following link:

http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer...GB/wfnavigator

It took over 5 hours to download the 753 MB file. Slooow server.

When I had a failure to download OpenStreet map files to Maemo Mapper it turned out that I had somehow reset File Path (Menu > Settings) to the nearly full internal memory card, and the maps simply did not download.

Tags
nokia n800