Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Excellent.

Now does someone know the commant to use instead of reboot to call up the desktop when the power button is pressed?

I´m using sygic in full screen mode and always press the phone icon to get to whatever else I want, but it´d be nicer just to get a power-button shortcut to the desktop.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Uh... Are people really rebooting their devices that often that a dedicated app is required? Why? Switching off and on using the power button can't be that hard if you have to do it for example once in a week.
I reboot my device all the time eg using fm transmitter, get out the car, reboot is more conveniant than turn transmitter off pause song exit music player....or if you have 20 apps open and your done using the phone etc

There's a section of the wiki that deals with the same things here. It might be worth directing people there, or if those instructions are too complicated modifying them to match the first post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Excellent.

Now does someone know the commant to use instead of reboot to call up the desktop when the power button is pressed?

I´m using sygic in full screen mode and always press the phone icon to get to whatever else I want, but it´d be nicer just to get a power-button shortcut to the desktop.
Press and hold the task switch icon in the upper left hand side of the screen returns you to desktop

@ Frank - nice one, finally someone who recognises that sometimes noob instructions are called for. I still don't understand the relevance of a wiki, or even where that description came from. I also didn't know until yesterday that the linux penguin was called Tux. I am, to all intents and purposes, and without shame, a n00b. So thanks Frank. They weren't wrong when they said talk to Frank.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
This is funny...I thought I followed the instructions, and now as well as having a reboot key, I have a "Top in Xterm " button and a "Soft Poweroff" button. The soft power off button makes my device behave strange, whats it meant to do?

Last edited by bret hart; 2010-03-31 at 15:26.

@bret hart - you moved (or removed) the <--- 's too far down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
I reboot my device all the time eg using fm transmitter, get out the car, reboot is more conveniant than turn transmitter off pause song exit music player....or if you have 20 apps open and your done using the phone etc
Ok... But wouldn't it make more sense to have an app/shortcut to accomplish that (close all windows) instead of rebooting then?

Originally Posted by Switch_ View Post
Press and hold the task switch icon in the upper left hand side of the screen returns you to desktop

k.
trouble is when you use the browser in portrait mode (for eg) and you want to access the desktop, or
i need to acces the menu with internet/availability settings quite often

would have been nice to have a shortcut
the power button menu is really limited ....

Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Ok... But wouldn't it make more sense to have an app/shortcut to accomplish that (close all windows) instead of rebooting then?

Is there a way to close all windows, as well as kill all the processes so its like I just booted my device?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL