Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by assetburned View Post
I have the patience to wait.... but only for a while ;-)
Hehe, I wouldn't count on it anyway (;
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Sounds like a function that should be added to BlueMaemo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183
standard to follow:
The NMEA 0183 standard uses a simple ASCII, serial communications protocol that defines how data is transmitted in a "sentence" from one "talker" to multiple "listeners" at a time. Through the use of intermediate expanders, a talker can have a unidirectional conversation with a nearly unlimited number of listeners, and using multiplexers, multiple sensors can talk to a single computer port.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-04-14 at 13:23. Reason: broadcast, multicast from the start to do it right

I was able to do that on a freerunner simply creating and exporting an rfcomm with bluez (or creating a serial proxy forwarding gpsd to leave gps usable on the fr too).
If there is an NMEA source available (daemon, pty, etc.) it should be very easy.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Sounds like a function that should be added to BlueMaemo...
Actually I was thinking about integrating it into mobile hotspot, with the approval of the author (:
as it would require me to launch just one app to do what I want to do (;

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Actually I was thinking about integrating it into mobile hotspot, with the approval of the author (: as it would require me to launch just one app to do what I want to do (;
If that's the what will do it, go for it! I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
hmm personally i would suggest that you follow the unix philosophy.
one program for just one purpose.

mobilehotspot is a program that should offer exactly that functionally.
these Bluetooth GPS unit emulation could just be what it is... a tool that let your device act as GPS unit for other devices.

that will allow you to develop that tool separately. if others want to use your app, they can by using specified interfaces. if you want to optimise your app, you can do it as long as you keep the interfaces. and if they want to modify there apps.... they can also do it.

if you start to implement more and more functions to one program, you will end up with programs like Microsoft Word... you can do everything with it. Calculating, doing presentation, working on spreadsheets, playing tetris, flying a flight simulator (ok that depends on the version).... but you can also us it as a word processing application.
several hundred mega bytes of wasted space on your hard disc.
that isn't a real problem with devices where you can replace the internal storage by a bigger disc, but we are talking about the N900 here... it would be a shame if some people wouldn't use your application just because they don't want to waste space on there N900 by having all these hot spot features they never use.

cu assetburned

Originally Posted by assetburned View Post
hmm personally i would suggest that you follow the unix philosophy.
one program for just one purpose.

mobilehotspot is a program that should offer exactly that functionally.
these Bluetooth GPS unit emulation could just be what it is... a tool that let your device act as GPS unit for other devices.

that will allow you to develop that tool separately. if others want to use your app, they can by using specified interfaces. if you want to optimise your app, you can do it as long as you keep the interfaces. and if they want to modify there apps.... they can also do it.

if you start to implement more and more functions to one program, you will end up with programs like Microsoft Word... you can do everything with it. Calculating, doing presentation, working on spreadsheets, playing tetris, flying a flight simulator (ok that depends on the version).... but you can also us it as a word processing application.
several hundred mega bytes of wasted space on your hard disc.
that isn't a real problem with devices where you can replace the internal storage by a bigger disc, but we are talking about the N900 here... it would be a shame if some people wouldn't use your application just because they don't want to waste space on there N900 by having all these hot spot features they never use.

cu assetburned
You convinced me, I never thought about it that way.
I was thinking more about "I don't want to start 2 programs separatly for a task" but I can solve that with a script starting both.
But I am still a long way from finishing my Task.
I am having problems with the emulation, and can't seem to find anyone to help me. ):

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
:-) you got it... that's exactly what scripts are made for.

and if you want to have a button for it... "There is an App for that" ;-)

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I am having problems with the emulation, and can't seem to find anyone to help me. ):
What kind of help do you require?

If it's a matter of information, I believe you'll find all the info you need on the subject here. Probably generating GGA sentences would be sufficient, but of course also looping through RMC and GLL should not hurt, either, and make it a bit more universal.

Maybe you should make the sentences generated and frequency of updates configurable?

Tags
bluetooth gps, gps, usb gps