Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The requirement is in the qemu-system-i386 binary from the openSUSE repos.
What neildk said.

Worth looking around to see if a different distro package it without it?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
No, most don't bother and build it with the default deps. We should build it from source.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
No, most don't bother and build it with the default deps. We should build it from source.
neildk has.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Exactly, he is developer. Not developers, but single dev. Maybe there 2-3 that we might not even know about. but there are about 5-10 well known maemo and now Jolla devs and most them asking the same question — who are devs who got devices. And now compare it to "dev" units Jolla sent to reviewers.
So again it's about what is more important: to support devs to port/create apps (even not talking about proper payments on official store app) or about sending units for reviews? :P

But yes, I do not know to read and jumping to assumptions too quick :P
There were others on twitter, so really not seing where the singular is coming from, this was an example of most hailed on tmo dev and he did get one (sure, some pro maemo devs are still waiting, it's not about being able to use emulator, you need to be invited to the special club, or screw potential users, they are pro anyway). Anyway, stay safe

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
neildk has.
Me too, but I have to reset, as Xwayland messed up my system

From the FAQ "That said, unfortunately, it seems that the lion’s share of deliveries are aimed for shipment start in December."

I dont understand, can any one explain. I ordered my Tablet at about 12:22 UCT. I think this was about 3 hours after it opened. A handful of orders have been shipped. If I am in the second wave I will probably have to wait another 2 months. Are those that ordered days and weeks later than me going to have to wait months and months more or are they going to ship months of orders (including mine) one go?

If so what is the advantages of shipping a large amount of orders in one go, surely its better to ship orders in regular smaller amounts?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
From the FAQ "That said, unfortunately, it seems that the lion’s share of deliveries are aimed for shipment start in December."

I dont understand, can any one explain. I ordered my Tablet at about 12:22 UCT. I think this was about 3 hours after it opened. A handful of orders have been shipped. If I am in the second wave I will probably have to wait another 2 months. Are those that ordered days and weeks later than me going to have to wait months and months more or are they going to ship months of orders (including mine) one go?

If so what is the advantages of shipping a large amount of orders in one go, surely its better to ship orders in regular smaller amounts?
They are limited by what the factory can provide and the factory will likely ship the new tablets in large batches to a fulfillment center. And Jolla is sending them out to customers as soon as when those large batches arrive to the center.

Based on the information available I would expect you to receiver your order in mid November but it remains to be seen. The major factor is how large the production run of October will be.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
My guess would be that producing and shipping lots of stuff can be cheaper due to economy of scale - when you order lots of components, big manufacturing batch and lots of services you can get significant discounts, which can make the unit cost lower.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
My guess would be that producing and shipping lots of stuff can be cheaper due to economy of scale - when you order lots of components, big manufacturing batch and lots of services you can get significant discounts, which can make the unit cost lower.
While this is true, I sincerely doubt that Jolla wants to wait any longer. I imagine that they're going to ship out tablets just as quickly as they receive them -- they've already admitted that the "second wave" is going to be a fairly small number of tablets, and if the factory still can't manage to increase their volume of output, I would guess they'll go ahead and ship out the "third wave" just as soon as they can with whatever tablets they have, and then schedule a "fourth wave" (or how many more are needed).

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
BTW, news about the bootloader on the tablet - it is not locked down and fully user configurable - just as promised back on FOSDEM!

Originally Posted by stskeeps
No, USB OTG -> Keyboard and I think ESC or F2 a couple of times. UEFI. Have fun. SecureBoot madness included, but can be configured to your own means with physical access. Efilinux loads any unsigned boot.img you hand it.
Quotation source.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund