Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Making calls not sufficient enough of an answer?

Those things are long overdue to be replaced.

It will until it no longer can.

I think you meant treat, not threat.
Making calls? You need a new phone for that?

So Jolla going the Nokia road? But hope they don't cut of their customers with a limited device. Don't replace a consumer product with a gamble.

Yes, treat. Thx.

The good part as I see it. They have something to sell atleast.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What do you think is the goal with this phone? I mean I'm pretty sure most of the devices is bought by Jolla hardcore fans already using the first phone...

So the original gangster jPhone won't get anymore stable updates? Or what do they mean?

That would be a nice way to threat the community
So the fact that Google launched the 5X and 6P (or whatever it is called), means there's no Android support or updates for other phones?
Or that, because the 6P is ahead of the 5X, means the 5X won't get any support?

Not sure I understand your way of commenting here, or being destructive instead of constructive, or even why you're here in the first place if you don't like Jolla and their devices?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I really need filters on this forum to not see Dave comments and some other persons too. tried to make script to filter dom nodes with dave comments, but this forum structure does not allow to do this

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
So the fact that Google launched the 5X and 6P (or whatever it is called), means there's no Android support or updates for other phones?
Or that, because the 6P is ahead of the 5X, means the 5X won't get any support?

Not sure I understand your way of commenting here, or being destructive instead of constructive, or even why you're here in the first place if you don't like Jolla and their devices?
The question arise from that they state that this will have the latest stable updates? So it is an extension to the two options for the current phone? Not a replacement, If so great.

I like Jolla and other new Oses... just don't like scamers, tricksters and cheaters. And they have to pay the price until the take their responsibly

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
I really need filters on this forum to not see Dave comments and some other persons too. tried to make script to filter dom nodes with dave comments, but this forum structure does not allow to do this
Would be a great feature since I have a few users I don't read. (I would also like to able to ignore people from specific countries.) Usually use my brain to ignore posters. You should try it. It's very effective. Oh right you don't read this

I usually post in this thread and the final countdown so you can easily ignore me buy read the rest of the threads.

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-05-26 at 16:40.

specific country, really ????
Do you know how this is called ?

Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
specific country, really ????
Do you know how this is called ?

Dude. Travel around countries and even areas of big countries will give you the same thing. News media in all countries ignore someone to paint a picture. Travel the world and you might find the differences intresting. Let's say. You will only talk to males one day, the next the only the only females. the conversion will differ from a mix and you will see patterns.

Let's say that you have want to read US posts for a week. Tell you a lot of that area.

Or this...http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3959

Or you think it worse to single out and ignore a country than a single user?

Now what is this called?

I don't judge. Just asking.

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-05-26 at 18:15.

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
You can add users to your "Ignore" list (it's under your control panel).

EDIT: also, if you click on their name and go to their profile, at the top there's a drop-down called "User Lists". Under there is an option to add to the ignore list.

Last edited by skanky; 2016-05-26 at 18:09.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
So let me get this straight. Jolla are bringing out new device that is only available through a community programme. It is not possible to purchase the device but you can get it for free without a warranty by registering for the programme for a fee of €169. It is claimed that the programme is for developers and contributors yet there is no validation to see if members are actually developers or contributors. The only way to obtain this device is by joining this programme and accepting that it comes with no warranty. The terms and conditions refer to this so called programme as a "product". You cannot make changes or cancel your "product order".

The fact that there is no way to obtain the device other than through this programme, coupled with the fact that it is actually available to anyone, not just developers and contributors, suggests to me that this is merely a way of selling a device without a warranty disguised as a programme in order to cover their arses.

I never once thought that Jolla were trying to scam anyone with the tablet campaign. I can't really say the same anymore.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2016-05-26 at 18:36.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
It is not possible to purchase the device but you can get it for free without a warranty by registering for the programme
Why so picky? After all, you're ordering a device.

for a fee of €169.
The price is €136.29 + your country tax.
Shipping to germany is free btw!

...this is merely a way of selling a device without a warranty disguised as a programme in order to cover their arses.
For a total of €162.19 I really don't care.
My current N9 was € 436 back in 2012, but that 's a very different story.
Current Maemo Community Council member

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2016-05-26 at 20:07. Reason: typo

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I never once thought that Jolla were trying to scam anyone with the tablet campaign. I can't really say the same anymore.
Yeah, what a scam, with the huge profit they have on the programme!

Originally Posted by Jolla
4. Why does the Program cost money? Some competitors offer developer programs for free.
As much as we would like to offer the Program for free, our current financial situation doesn’t allow this. However, we have pushed the Program fee as low as we could to keep the Program fairly priced for our community. Jolla is not making any profit with this price.
Sure, you could say it's just their claim, but the math really checks out.

Let me tell you the story as I remember it. The SailfishOS phone by Intex was announced one year ago with the announcement that once it reaches India, it will be available globally. Mind that it would be the first Intex device to go global, so all the warranty/service support by Intex would have to be created (and then train all their foreign partners with a completely different OS).

Originally Posted by Jolla
Together with the Sailfish India ecosystem partners we believe that we can provide an
exciting alternative for smartphone lovers in India and later globally as well.
Shortly before that, Jolla quit the hardware business, so the availability of the device was an outcome of the agreement with Intex.

Later in 2015, Jolla almost went bankrupt, survived it, but since the original Intex phone was scheduled for the end of the year, many people expected the deal to be off, as Jolla was definitely not a stable partner at that time.

A pleasant surprise came this February before MWC in Barcelona, where at a Mer Meeting it was announced that the deal is still on, but it will be unfortunately limited to India only.
  • Intex phone is being presented in MWC in less than 2 weeks, if you want to see the phone, come to Barcelona (cybette, 14:54:14)
  • Intex phone will be available in India only (cybette, 14:56:11)
  • Decision to go outside India is up to Intex, nothing confirmed from their side for now. (cybette, 15:00:48)
This was received with a disappointment in the community and many people called for Jolla to at least make a developer programme and ship few Intex devices to Europe. This seemed quite impossible - as mentioned above, there's no Intex warranty network outside of India, so servicing the devices would be unimaginably costly. Also the Intex phone is supposed to have advertising in the system, which would not be very welcome by Jolla's community.

Some Indian members of the community promised to try and send the devices from India (=no warranty), but people still begged Jolla to do this and ship it officially.

Now Jolla stepped up and heard those voices, but as Intex certainly plans to go global at some point (they had the plan one year ago and now appeared at MWC), it would hurt their brand if there were Intex phones sent outside of their market without any support. People could connect the "lack of support" and "Intex" and refuse to buy their phones once they officially expand their operation. That's certainly why Jolla went all the way to put their branding on it and offered it to the developer community. Without any profit, to keep the support for them alive. Remember that soon all original Jollas will be out of warranty and developers will not have anything to develop on (there are not many stable ports). Even if Fairphone and Turing phones get their official SailfishOS versions, they will still be in a drastically different price range.

Please consider the context before using the "scam" word. IMHO this operation is as far from scam as possible. Even if they made the profit, which they won't (let alone with only 1000 devices) they transparently published all terms, so there is no misinformation.

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-05-26 at 19:21.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund