Conditions:

1) YOU MUST PROVIDE A BINARY. I'm not interested in screenshots, even if they're real. You must produce a working binary that runs under IT2006 OS. It doesn't have to be fancy -- Just something that works from the command-line.

2) IT MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY PAC-MAN, DONKEY KONG, OR CENTIPEDE. I figure these are good games to start with, since the ROMs are readilly available, and don't require much in the line of sound or graphics capability.

3) IT MUST BE *PLAYABLE*. The 770's hardware is more than capable of emulating the usual "classic" games mentioned above. I've seen MAME successfully ported to far, far more limited hardware than the 770, so there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it can be done. Zero.

4) IT MUST HAVE SOUND SUPPORT. It doesn't have to be 44 KHz crystal clear, but the sound must at least be working. I'll let you be the judge of where to draw the line on this one, but i'd imagine that 8KHz should be allright.

Get crankin'. The first submission that matches the criteria listed above will be $50 richer (i'll send it via PayPal), and famous.

Checking out zMame might be a good starting point. MAME has been ported to the Sharp Zaurus, which is a couple pegs down from the 770 in terms of capability.

I won't give out $50 bucks, but I'll give some serious props. I just got my 770 and have been suprised at how little game porting has gone on here. When the PSP was released people went hog wiled with home brew. Seems like this would be a great device for gaming ports...

Someone attempted to port mame in 2005 OS, but I never heard anything of it again. Speaking of games, I got about 10 or so flash games that were for the PSP, it works alright on the 770. My favorite 2 are duck hunt and battleship. hahaha

The problem is the D-pad is really lame for game-playing on the 770.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Hell!... i'd give $20 for someone to come up with a "Flasher" for us Mac folks. I would really like to experience the new OS 2006...like the rest of the world!

Could care less about games.

Originally Posted by Bowie
Checking out zMame might be a good starting point. MAME has been ported to the Sharp Zaurus, which is a couple pegs down from the 770 in terms of capability.
I would say the Zaurus is a couple of pegs up when you are talking about emulation as the CPU is twice as fast.

Originally Posted by omegaone37
Hell!... i'd give $20 for someone to come up with a "Flasher" for us Mac folks. I would really like to experience the new OS 2006...like the rest of the world!

Could care less about games.
Try running a linux livecd, Ubuntus Dappper CDs are actually livecds untill you press the install icon on the desktop. just put the image and the linuxflasher on a usb stick and run it from there.
Cheers!

Ick, Mame is such a pain. You have dozens of ports and none of them are up to date running the latest version.

Well this has been my experiance on Palm but I was just getting tired having to change the ROM format to whatever version the port had and then hoping that at least 5 out of the 500 games I had would work.

I hope someone ports Little John Resurrected to the Linux when it finally comes out.

SJ30-Tungsten E- Zodiac 2-?

Does the location column count?

Last edited by frenchie; 2006-07-05 at 03:23.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Supergeek
The problem is the D-pad is really lame for game-playing on the 770.
Yeah, N770 is good only for point and click games like scummvm adventures. Not enough buttons for action games like Duke3d or Quake. Zodiac is much better for this.

I'd like to see Wesnoth ported (quite possible). Or Fallout engine (FIFE, quite not possible). Or something warcraft like.