Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Hi,

I have recently got visa for study at one of the USA universities. I love my n900 and don't find anything that could replace it. Android is still boring and I don't want iphone nor wincrap. But I am unsure if I should bring my n900 with me. Reasons:

1. I am not sure if the US carriers support n900 frequencies (3G, 2G etc).
2. If I am attracted to anything else, I am not sure if I can sell it for prices as good as I can get here in Nepal.
3. I am unsure if there are lots of n900 in ebay and I can buy it for reasonable price if I don't carry it from here.

The lease benefit I can see as of now is it is highly unlikely that I will bring my laptop from Nepal to USA and hence it will definitely be my replacement for laptop for a while at least.

What do you think, should I bring it there?

Any comments/suggestions/replies appreciated.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
T-Mobile should give you 2G/3G service.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to typo989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
definitly there are many users here in the US t-mobile and simple mobile fully support the n900 bands 2g/3g. Since the n900 is no longer produced availibility diminishes everyday. I think it would be wise to bring it with you. good luck

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I've had my N900 on T-Mobile here in Ohio for about a year now, they provide a decent 3G service. Well, as decent as any of the various providers have seen fit to offer -- if you go any distance from the major cities or highways here, cell phone towers become mighty scarce. Only Verizon has any decent coverage, and even they get really spotty in the rougher parts of Ohio (they're practically nonexistent in the southeast corner of the state, and have gaping holes in the more rural areas elsewhere). So be warned if your university is somewhere in the hinterlands of the continent.

As to buying/selling -- I've been trying to save up enough cash to get a spare N900. So far, good used ones are going for over $200 on Ebay, and there seem to be plenty of them being sold (although a lot of them are shown as coming from Hong Kong; those seem kind of dodgy). I'm not sure how that translates into Nepal currency...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
bring it, open tmobile account and you are good to go.
@martycollinsesq

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martycollinsesq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I've had my N900 on T-Mobile here in Ohio for about a year now, they provide a decent 3G service. Well, as decent as any of the various providers have seen fit to offer -- if you go any distance from the major cities or highways here, cell phone towers become mighty scarce. Only Verizon has any decent coverage, and even they get really spotty in the rougher parts of Ohio (they're practically nonexistent in the southeast corner of the state, and have gaping holes in the more rural areas elsewhere). So be warned if your university is somewhere in the hinterlands of the continent.

As to buying/selling -- I've been trying to save up enough cash to get a spare N900. So far, good used ones are going for over $200 on Ebay, and there seem to be plenty of them being sold (although a lot of them are shown as coming from Hong Kong; those seem kind of dodgy). I'm not sure how that translates into Nepal currency...
I am going for University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Trying to reach there before the new year (to celebrate new year at Vegas).

Plus can anybody check https://www.checkmytrip.com/CMTSERVL...=GB&N=SHRESTHA and tell me if everything is fine. I am aware that the transit in Korea is a bit longer. Is there any other problem in the route? (No international flight experience yet).

If I am not wrong At&T is the biggest and most preferred operator in USA and they brought T mobile. So other networks do not support the n900 2G and 3Gs?

Ebay price seems somewhat equivalent to what I can expect to get here. So even if I want to sell it, it should be fine. My N900 is living happy life without being overclocked (or overclocked in only few rare occasions), still great USB port, display cover/plastic/sticker or whatever it is called.

Thanks for the info to everyone.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Joseph9560,
I had the N9 in the US in 2009-2010.
I used the N900 all over the US, especially Vegas, I can't complain about it if I tried.
Start a T-Mobile account, it's the only service in the US that supports the N900's bands.
Verizon is the most preferred service provider in the US, but they are a bunch of thieves and don't use GSM phones.
The trip seems to be the most efficient route to Vegas.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
AT&T is not the most preferred operator in the US and they were not allowed to buy Tmobile. Tmobile is the only major carrier that fully supports the N900. AT&T works but only at 2G speeds, as I understand it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Joseph9560,
I had the N9 in the US in 2009-2010.
I used the N900 all over the US, especially Vegas, I can't complain about it if I tried.
Start a T-Mobile account, it's the only service in the US that supports the N900's bands.
Verizon is the most preferred service provider in the US, but they are a bunch of thieves and don't use GSM phones.
The trip seems to be the most efficient route to Vegas.
Okay, is that one of the reason why nobody prefer Nokia sets (which are mostly GSM) in USA?

Definitely booked the cheapest economy class route . Have to pay by today to get it else the booking will be cancelled.

Thanks!

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
its because in the us phones are almost always on contract (phone and plan come in a bundle) and the carriers simply dont have nokia phones available.

If they do have a nokia its not usually one of their top phones ...the last nokia to be available here was a c7 and now the lumna 700. Nokia really sucks at marketing and making deals with US carriers.

The 4 major carriers are split att and tmobile are gsm and verizon and sprint are cdma.

edit btw i havent done much international traveling but here in the US recently I have had a lot better luck going directly through the airlines rather than travel sites. Then again there are only a handful of airlines that I will fly on.

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2011-12-22 at 03:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post: