Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
well for s60 with europen map its 80 euro i'm willing to bet its about the same on N900
Except that it doesn't look like they'll sell the N900 version with "Europe" maps, just individual countries/regions. I would need at least 3 purchases to cover the regions I need, so unless they're much cheaper than for other platforms (EUR 49.99 for UK & Ireland) it would cost a fortune :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Yea since they split up the US into the "East" and "West" divided by the Mississippi (a distinction which only exists in the minds of European phone map companies... Navteq did the same on the N810) and I live just a couple of hours from the Mississippi, I'd easily have to get both maps for it to make sense for me. :<

That said we don't really know how their pricing scheme is going to work. I'd be okay paying $10 for the other "region". So it'd be great to have an email notification for when its ready to purchase...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
User Update:

Tested again today on a journey into and out of London. No lag to report. Speed camera detection very good. Voice navigation commands spot on.

The only weird thing to report is that when approaching a roundabout the voice navigation will say something like "Go straight over the roundabout".

That's not strange you might think to yourself, but it will say that for every roundabout even if you have to take the first, second or third turn-off.

Other than that - am pretty pleased with performance now. As others have mentioned. Pricing will be key to my decision though as if it is too expensive then I will simply buy a decent dedicated sat nav. If the pricing is spot on I would get the Sygic.

I don't know why the launch has been delayed and the earlier news about it already been submitted to OVI and hitting a glitch seems to be false to me because of the updates that are being issued and fixes that have been worked on.

I think that they must be just smoothing out the final noticeable bugs.

I will see if I can find out the final launch date next week.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
I only way i will get this is if it's FREE since Ovi Nav is already FREE and Ovi Nav is better than this. It does no justification to buy a program that ISN'T BETTER THAN THE FREE VERSION.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I only way i will get this is if it's FREE since Ovi Nav is already FREE and Ovi Nav is better than this. It does no justification to buy a program that ISN'T BETTER THAN THE FREE VERSION.
xD
you don't have tested ovi maps on the n900 have you?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Too bad Ovi Maps doesn't get a gps lock without network connection anymore, atleast for me.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Too bad Ovi Maps doesn't get a gps lock without network connection anymore, atleast for me.
gets a lock for me without network connection in about 40secs or so..with connection about 10-15

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Try updating the location server from the default nokia server to google's at supl.google.com this made the ovi maps obtain a lock so much faster for me..

does anyone have any idea when sygic will be released?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Sorry mate but that statement is rubbish. I have used ovi maps and Sygic on N900 and they really don't compare at the moment. But if you are happy with OVI then good on you and you'll save yourself some cash. For anyone else who wants something better than OVI then Sygic is the answer at the moment.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Try updating the location server from the default nokia server to google's at supl.google.com this made the ovi maps obtain a lock so much faster for me..

does anyone have any idea when sygic will be released?
I have. Actually it gps lock without network connection worked before 1.1 firmware for me.
I was looking forward to Sygic anyway.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn