Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
It's rather easy if you try, the response to the initial tweet in that thread is from a Jolla employee...
This isn't the 1st time (far from it) I've come across Jolla folks who couldn't care less about leveraging/building-on maemo.org/HF, or (in some cases) don't even know what they are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Some people know it well (Stskeeps, w00t and others). I'm not sure if they are the people who make decisions about building up the infrastructure though (like the bugtracker). That big post referenced in the beginning of this thread went in the right direction, but so far nothing came out of it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
jalyst: you ought to be doing something else, so leave TMO for another day (you did ask us to tell you if we saw you!)

Re bug tracker, I believe Jolla has an internal one and for understandable reasons they don't want a public one, I believe it was manageability or something or other.

If I had a Jolla, I'd open tickets via zendesk for whatever is important for me... but I do appreciate the value of a public bug tracker, although I do appreciate the fact that it gets very busy very quickly and keeping an internal one may actually make things run faster in Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
jRe bug tracker, I believe Jolla has an internal one and for understandable reasons they don't want a public one, I believe it was manageability or something or other
I didn't really see a clear explanation. Even Nokia had a public bug tracker for Harmattan! (Well, before it died out together with the system and Nokia's Linux efforts in general). Yeah, that can be tedious to manage, but it's the only functional way to engage community in the bug reporting, which also allows to see some progress on the bugs. Otherwise there will be a lot of unnecessary duplication, and inefficiency, which is even worse than keeping 2 bug trackers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I didn't really see a clear explanation. Even Nokia had a public bug tracker for Harmattan! (Well, before it died out together with the system and Nokia's Linux efforts in general). Yeah, that can be tedious to manage, but it's the only functional way to engage community in the bug reporting, which also allows to see some progress on the bugs. Otherwise there will be a lot of unnecessary duplication, and inefficiency, which is even worse than keeping 2 bug trackers.
Yeap, I agree, perhaps implementing something cool like trac where you can keep some comments internal and filter out external comments so that Developers can focus on the internal QA team feedback etc. etc.?

Not sure what the level of effort to implement this would be, nor management effort.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Re bug tracker, I believe Jolla has an internal one and for understandable reasons they don't want a public one, I believe it was manageability or something or other.
About bugzilla

Guys we cannot open right now a public bugtracker because if we do so nobody will read the bugs that you will open there and you will complain that nobody cares about the bugs you open and we will have 2 problems (having tons of bugs to read AND infuriated users) instead of 1 (not having a public bug tracker)

So we prefer to save you the effort of writing bugs that nobody will be able to reply to rather than give you an illusion and a delusion.

Opening a bugzilla instance and let it rot it's IMHO more offensive and way less professional.

When we will have the money and the amount of employees that Nokia had working on OSSO/Maemo/Meego (I was one of them) we will be able to hire Andre and make him bugmaster again.

We are working on opening a forum soon [TM] at least.

About this community

I know rather well (or I think I knew) maemo.org as I had root access to these (or those to be more precise) servers once upon a time. xfade is working with us and he knows even more than me this place.

I do not want nor I can deny some continuity between Maemo/MeeGo and Sailfish. But at the same time I can't avoid pointing out the discontinuity as well. Jolla is Jolla, Nokia was Nokia. Startup, Corp.

Some users might want to jump to new places, make it neo900 (great project BTW), Sailfish, BB10 or WP. Some users might want to stay here.

We (Jolla) are guests here and since we respect the rules of the house we don't want to disturb nor invade and will invite you to our new place when it's finished constructions. We are building it one bit at a time. It is slow and painful, I can't deny.

We are not putting you off nor belittling you. We are not idiots nor evil and we do understand the power of this (or we think we do)

"You have to have it now" "Everything and right away". That's not the real world sorry. Think that you have 1 euro and you are out of water and bread. And you have to chose what to buy at the market.

That's the kind of choice that we have to make everyday.

There is no way we in Jolla can have the same power and throughput of Nokia. Don't expect it. At least right now.

We are constantly doing our best to deliver you the best experience. Wherever that will be.

Each and every single employee (plus some interns) of the company has worked twice as much as they should have during the last period.

I understand if you tell me that "you best is not enough" you are the users and (possible) buyers of the device and you have all the rights to complain and demand. Still that device has blood and tears inside.

And I hope you will understand if I don't have time to read and reply to all of the posts in reply to this post. If you don't understand... well... that won't change the fact that I will not have time to do it

--
Stezz
CTO and co-founder @ Jolla

The Following 112 Users Say Thank You to stezz For This Useful Post:
aegis, ARJWright, Artyom, benny1967, bennypr0fane, biatch0, Blacksphere, bockersjv, catbus, ck2nb, coley, Copernicus, cquence, Daneel, DeeGee, DJJonosound, dschoepe, eekkelund, Fawz, finfly, fw190, ggabriel, gsalone, Iipe, Iryus, isto, jalyst, JiiHoo, jjaone, joerg_rw, Jordi, joschobart, jpel, judhaz, juiceme, JulmaHerra, jurop88, Khertan, kibet85, kinggo, kjmackey, klinglerware, kollin, LAAK1, Leinad, madmax, maluka, MartinK, marxian, mattaustin, Matti, mbo, MetalGearSolid, mikecomputing, mikkojhe, minimos, MINKIN2, miqu, Mitrigol, MoritzJT, Morpog, mrsellout, MSameer, N9uwu, Naranek, nbedford, nodevel, nokiabot, olympus, OVK, P@t, panjgoori, pcfe, peterleinchen, praveenchand, pycage, rcolistete, rob_kouw, salyavin, saponga, sbock, sfb, shanttu, shmerl, sillieidiot, SSLMM, Stskeeps, szopin, theonelaw, Thoke, thp, tissot, toebaer, Tsippaduida, Tujutzki, v2px, vitaminj, Vlad_on_the_road, w00t, Wanker, Watchmaker, wicket, Win7Mac, Xagoln, zamorph, zlatko, Zoxir, _Routser
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Nice to hear your own forum opening soon*, and I respect how openly you communicate about these matters. Thank you.

*Soon is a trademark of Jolla ltd.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-11-29 at 20:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Thanks, makes sense, while copying over the bug db might've been doable it would most likely result in more work cleaning fixrd stuff and duplicates. Really appreciate you guys popping in here (even as guests if you feel like it, but once maemo you never go back. Check user agnet string :P)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
stezz: very good news re new forum where you'll be involved, and totally understand the lack of public tools.

Thanks for the elaborate response! Lack of resources is a valid reason to focus on the most critical efforts. Jolla/Sailfish forum would be very welcome, thanks for working on it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: