Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I want to start of by saying I'm not trying to cut anyone down and make anyone stop doing themes but I have seen a lot of themes released this week that are either just a default theme maker theme with a new background/icons or have a lot of bugs and not ready to be released. I'm just asking that new theme makers try to be creative with your work there are 4 new themes this week that are the same just the backgrounds are different.

Now on releasing themes. I suggest that you test and have most of your bugs our before you release a theme. Theme maker has a lot of bugs you have to go back and fix after you build you theme. Some of those are Conversation Colors, Portrait Lock Screen, RSS Applet, Ovi Applet. You should make sure all bugs are fixed before releasing your themes. Themes should also be optied to save room on rootfs.

I would also suggest that you package our themes up and put them on extras. I would suggest you any users that you do not download zip of a theme and install it to your device you are asking for trouble. If your scared of extras-devel then you should be even more scared of software that isn't in a package at all.

Just remember Quality over Quantity. Also I'm here if you have any Theming Questions. I didn't go into details how to fix all the bugs I listed but I'll work on a how to later.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
About the themes I shared, I edited them for personal usage and then I thought sharing with the community would be okay. Never claimed that I was the main author.

I also fixed the bugs you mentioned, most of them if not all.
I found no guides about optifying the themes, also.
I suppose your thread is the thanks to us?

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
About the themes I shared, I edited them for personal usage and then I thought sharing with the community would be okay. Never claimed that I was the main author.

If you edit copy written stuff for your self then you shouldn't release it, and I never said anyones names. So if you fixed the bugs then I wasn't talking to you. If you created your themes the proper way they would be optifed automatically. Also if I wanted to thank you for themes I would do them on your post

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
About the thanks part, I was being sarcastic.
I mean, if you require Quality then the tools should work correctly or there should be a STICKY guide of how to.

Now, I am not saying that bugs are your fault, or that you should create a guide but I just couldn't see the point of your post.
Don't get me wrong, all am I trying to say is that if you want people to work on Maemo then some things should work better.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Last edited by Lacedaemon; 2010-01-11 at 01:18.

first off I didn't make the theme maker and I don't work for Nokia but I have been doing Maemo themes for several years and I feel if your going to jump in the game do it right so you don't make maemo themes look bad (once again Im not talking about your themes just everyone in general.) I'll do a sticky later this week with all the steps to do a theme and fix the bugs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post

i agree to Lacedaemon... i dont kno what andrewfblack problem is?!

if you dont like the theme being created or edited then dont use it. Y are you so affected man? im pretty sure u download and tried the themes Lacedaemon created/edited.

If you dont like it... dont use it.... that simple.

there is no proper way at the moment to create a theme for n900 so be thankful for the alternatives.

no offense but just chill bro!!!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
If you edit copy written stuff for your self then you shouldn't release it
Erm... You mean themes that don't have a liberal license like CC-BY-SA and so on I take it? Not the CC-BY-SA that even the basic Nokia themes have?
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I agree 100%. Installing themes via SFTP into rootfs may be fine for testing purposes but for general distrobution - it's a no-go. Also it doesn't require that much creativity to just use the hue tool to change a few colors and add new backgrounds so a bit more complete themes would be preferred.

Originally Posted by iceman600 View Post
i agree to Lacedaemon... i dont kno what andrewfblack problem is?!

if you dont like the theme being created or edited then dont use it. Y are you so affected man? im pretty sure u download and tried the themes Lacedaemon created/edited.

If you dont like it... dont use it.... that simple.

there is no proper way at the moment to create a theme for n900 so be thankful for the alternatives.

no offense but just chill bro!!!

The whole community is effected if people have install themes wrong and mess up there device, Like I said I never said anything about Lacedaemon I was talking about all theme makers. Lacedaemon started on me. Also I have not tried his themes. I'm not going to install a theme that has bugs and isn't optified. There are several ways to make proper themes. 1. Hildon Theme Tools 2. Make Package with Theme Maker unpack, fix bugs, repackage upload.

Now if you guys want to go personal with this I can do personal.

@ruskie

Only the Green theme with theme maker is CC

[QUOTE=andrewfblack;464677

Now if you guys want to go personal with this I can do personal.

@ruskie

Only the Green theme with theme maker is CC[/QUOTE]

just sharing my opinion... nothing personal...