Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Fact is, sailfish devices don't exist. My jolla screen died a long time ago and those official versions for sony devices are........ well, not really 100% there as we al know. And even if they are, sailfish didn't move much from the inception and sadly, there's not much you can do with it.
I really like the whole UI, how it looks and feels but when put everything on paper, it feels like when I got the first iPhone in a time when I was using P990. Which was 2 years old device. Except, browser on iPhone was waaaay better and sailfish browser is really outdated now. And while I can avoid "an app for everything" on android and use browser, on saillfsh, browser suck. And there are no apps for everything.
So, it's great as a phone, maybe as music player and thanks to rinigus, we have navigation app now. But good luck doing any work on sailfish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
So, it's great as a phone, maybe as music player and thanks to rinigus, we have navigation app now.
I disagree, at least in Xperia X form, it's pretty ***** as a phone too

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
I have recently been aware about the final form of the device. It looks great, reminds me the days with the Nokia N900. So my question goes like this: The sailfish port is an ongoing project by the community(which means lack of android apps support, drivers etc) or the company plans to push it somehow? Is it a doable project or just the cheese for the rat? Despite the "official" state of sailfish os for sony devices I read that they disappoint being frustrating to use as daily drivers. Are we buying an android device with a physical keyboard and the hope for an incomplete sailfish os port on it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Yes, we are buying android phone. Since that's the only OS that will be available. What one will do with it after that.....
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
I disagree, at least in Xperia X form, it's pretty ***** as a phone too
even better

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I would be perfectly fine with an incomplete OS port on this phone, especially if dual-boot with an alternative Android clone (more privacy oriented) is possible to run those apps I don't particularly like, but may need occasionally.

Sailfish OS is far from perfect, but what I tend to value more is that it suits my demands far better than any of the major OSes.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Curious if the dimensions changed at all. I remember reading at some point that the less curved screen changed things a bit. Not a big deal but just wondering

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
The sailfish port is an ongoing project by the community(which means lack of android apps support, drivers etc) or the company plans to push it somehow?
Depends on who you mean by 'the company' in this case. FX Tec are assisting with the community effort, providing prototype and pre-production devices to community porters early in the process. I do not think Jolla is involved at all at this stage.

Is it a doable project or just the cheese for the rat?
In the community we have a number of well working ports that many people use on a daily basis, and I hope this will be one of them.

Are we buying an android device with a physical keyboard and the hope for an incomplete sailfish os port on it?
Until FX Tec decide to ship the device with anything other than Android, then yes its an Android device

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
First shipments on the second week of September according to the latest newsletter. Longest summer ever.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
And ordered!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
First shipments on the second week of September according to the latest newsletter. Longest summer ever.
I received also the link for payment (in separate email).

After payment the order status still shows "Your pre-order has been received" and payment status "charged at future date". However, after giving the payment information I got another email stating that "order has been received" so I suppose that the payment went through and I can now concentrate on waiting.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit