Notices

Hi All,

I was abple to install dictionaries but i don't understand why, i can see listed only the dict where the file extension is .dict
All the dict that have file extension .dict.dz are not readable on my n900. I have tried to remove the .dz extension but hte dict os not listed.

Any idea?

Thanks

Giorgio

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
It looks like the dict.dz files are dictd format, so there should be a .index file along with them. Make sure you copy both over to the N900.

Hi Rob1n, thanks for your reply. basically i notice that all the dic from this web site:

http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down2/inde...ormat=StarDict

are in the format dict.dz

when i decompress them, in the diretory i can find 3 files, for example:

oxford.dict.dz
oxford.idx
oxford.ifo

is the .index file the .idx file i can see in the uncompressed directory?

I can notice that if i copy the directory on the n900 probably the dictionary is seen by mstardict because i can see an empty space in the list of the dictionary before the dict that have only the .dict extension but that is not possible to use it.

In the case it is in dictd format, it is possible to convert it?

Thanks again

Giorgio

Ah - those are in XDXF format. I've just tried it and copying the three files over works fine for me.

I see, i guess than in my n900 or i have some lib missing or out of date, will try to investigate.

Thanks

Giorgio

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Been trying to install MStarDict onto my N900 (with PR1.1.1) but the pkg manager gives me this:

"Unable to install 'MStarDict'
Application packages missing: defoma"

Attempting this over the command line yields:

Code:
/home/user # apt-get install mstardict ttf-freefont defoma
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package defoma is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package defoma has no installation candidate
Is this one of these PR1.2 dependency issues? This page suggests this pkg may only be available for Diablo (or more likely, it's out of date))

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Is this one of these PR1.2 dependency issues? This page suggests this pkg may only be available for Diablo (or more likely, it's out of date))
No, it's nothing to do with PR1.2. According to the main package page defoma should be in the Nokia Applications repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Hi,
I downloaded the "Engligh Idioms (eng-eng)" (file: comn_sdict05_idioms_eng_eng.tar.bz2) from the link http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php. I extracted the file and copied the result file into the mstardict folder. However, the app does not pick up this new dictionary file. I have other dictionary files in the same folder and I am able to see/use them within the MStarDict. Any idea on how I can make this work?

thanks,

Last edited by cheve; 2010-05-19 at 03:49.

Originally Posted by cheve View Post
Hi,
I downloaded the "Engligh Idioms (eng-eng)" (file: comn_sdict05_idioms_eng_eng.tar.bz2) from the link http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php. I extracted the file and copied the result file into the mstardict folder. However, the app does not pick up this new dictionary file. I have other dictionary files in the same folder and I am able to see/use them within the MStarDict. Any idea on how I can make this work?

thanks,
Hi, same problem, all the dict from that site are in XDXF format and looks like that some n900 users have problems with those files. I guess that the issue is with the version of some system library but i was unable to find out wich one.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Been trying to install MStarDict onto my N900 (with PR1.1.1) but the pkg manager gives me this:

"Unable to install 'MStarDict'
Application packages missing: defoma"

Attempting this over the command line yields:

Code:
/home/user # apt-get install mstardict ttf-freefont defoma
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package defoma is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package defoma has no installation candidate
This should be fixed in version 0.6-1

Tags
dictionary, mstardict